TV 19 - Simpsons Did It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I'm sorry, I did not mean to suggest you were a racist. My point is that there is a casual white entitlement among very well-meaning liberals that leads us to make judgments about what constitutes racism and what level of severity it is. We don't get to decide that. We get to choose our actions, but if the people on the pain end tell us it hurts then it hurts and its ours to live with.
    I don't disagree with any of that necessarily. He was tone deaf in that moment and spoke without thinking it through first. But I think sometimes it's ok to talk about things first before reflexively demanding blood. Did he exhibit racist tendencies previously? Was there an outcry over his remark from actual minorities rather than 'woke liberals'? Would the black community and/or others have been satisfied with an apology rather than a resignation?

Perhaps he did need to step aside but I think it's an ok conversation to have.

Comment

• Again, my point is that we don't have to be racists to fall into racist actions, because systemic racism is so pervasive. I don't think too many people are left who literally hate black people. But a vast majority of whites operate within stereotypical views of black people that are racist. They view those as empiricism, but they are social messaging that still has the momentum of 300 years of bigotry.

The actual racists like Dump I don't waste my time on. It's the good people who are bigots-by-performance rather than bigots-by-attitude who I want to shake. I'm sure I've done hundreds of racist things in my life out of sheer ignorance and "contact high" bigotry. Just because it doesn't come from inside doesn't mean you're not still doing it -- that's why a racist society is so friggin' awful: it has a life of its own.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Final paper: Gonna do it on Dr. Cox around the time Ben died.

But I'll have to watch that episode, and that episode was a gut punch.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
          Final paper: Gonna do it on Dr. Cox around the time Ben died.

But I'll have to watch that episode, and that episode was a gut punch.
          Are you going to watch just that episode or the original Ben episode as well? Are you then going to watch the fallout when he goes off the rails and JD has to save him?

And yeah those are a gut punch. John C. McGinley really crushed it.

Great choice!
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Are you going to watch just that episode or the original Ben episode as well? Are you then going to watch the fallout when he goes off the rails and JD has to save him?

And yeah those are a gut punch. John C. McGinley really crushed it.

Great choice!
            My other thought with Cox was when he loses 3 patients in a day along with the episode where they're all wearing "Welcome Back Coxer!" shirts.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post

My other thought with Cox was when he loses 3 patients in a day along with the episode where they're all wearing "Welcome Back Coxer!" shirts.
              The look on Cox's face later when he wears the shirt is just brilliant!

(I was actually thinking about the losing 3 patients episode when I mentioned JD saving him...it has been too long since I watched)
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Framing Brittney. This is a "documentary" about Britney Spears' rise and conservatorship. I only knew about it because of the SNL skit but I guess it's gone viral.

Every single person involved with the possible exception of Kevin Federline is horrible. I have no sympathy for anybody. The whole thing is an (unintentional) ghastly indictment of celebrity culture and its parasites, right down to the people who made this TV show. Which were... The New York Times. My god, just take the Grey Lady out back and put a bullet in her brain.

F.

Last edited by Kepler; 02-21-2021, 04:49 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Omg. They’re making new modern marvels.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• The Muppet Show has been added to Disney+.

It’s still dang funny.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      The Muppet Show has been added to Disney+.

It’s still dang funny.
                      Still have fond memories of watching that with my dad and sister, and especially watching my dad heartily guffaw every time the Swedish Chef was on.

Comment

• Allen vs. Farrow.

It's sad to watch this and know that Allen was a very disturbed sick individual. I consider him one of the greatest Film Directors ever but along with that comes a man that should not have been around children. The sad thing is he was not interested in children at all when he met Farrow. But, he fell for Farrow and Farrow had a lot of kids and eventually he succumbed to some sort of evil inside him.

Documentary is very well done. Part Two is next week. I have no idea how many parts there are but what was talked about so far is enough to make you ill.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          Allen vs. Farrow.

It's sad to watch this and know that Allen was a very disturbed sick individual. I consider him one of the greatest Film Directors ever but along with that comes a man that should not have been around children. The sad thing is he was not interested in children at all when he met Farrow. But, he fell for Farrow and Farrow had a lot of kids and eventually he succumbed to some sort of evil inside him.

Documentary is very well done. Part Two is next week. I have no idea how many parts there are but what was talked about so far is enough to make you ill.
                          I thought I read somewhere that there are four parts to it.

I agree that the documentary is very well done. I've never been a big fan of Woody Allen movies, but that's probably because his comedy just doesn't fit in with my particular sense of humor. Obviously he is regarded by many film critics as extraordinarily talented. But I've read reviews of this series who have said that once you watch it, it's going to be very hard to ever give Allen or his movies the time of day again.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            The Muppet Show has been added to Disney+.

It’s still dang funny.
                            I saw a headline where they removed 4 episodes from their library entirely, and another group of them have content warnings preceding them. I guess I don't remember all that many episodes from when I was a kid, but I don't recall anything nasty enough to warrant complete removal from the library.

Then again, I still disagree with Disney on removing the Michael Jackson episode from the Simpsons catalog they run.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I thought I read somewhere that there are four parts to it.

I agree that the documentary is very well done. I've never been a big fan of Woody Allen movies, but that's probably because his comedy just doesn't fit in with my particular sense of humor. Obviously he is regarded by many film critics as extraordinarily talented. But I've read reviews of this series who have said that once you watch it, it's going to be very hard to ever give Allen or his movies the time of day again.
                              I guess I am glad I got to watch them before I understood all of this crap. *sigh* just incredibly sad.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

I saw a headline where they removed 4 episodes from their library entirely, and another group of them have content warnings preceding them. I guess I don't remember all that many episodes from when I was a kid, but I don't recall anything nasty enough to warrant complete removal from the library.

Then again, I still disagree with Disney on removing the Michael Jackson episode from the Simpsons catalog they run.
                                I don’t think there’s anything too objectionable in them, it may well be problems with music rights.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X