Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lady and the Dale, a documentary mini-series on HBO.

Sort of a cliched story of a con artist from Indiana, who fathers multiple children by multiple women before abandoning them, buys a printing press and starts printing U.S. currency until the Secret Service and the other feds catch up to him, fakes his own death at the hands of the mob, goes underground for many, many years, until he emerges as a transgender woman aiming to put Detroit out of business through a three-wheeled automobile, achieves Elon Musk level cult status, indicted for securities fraud, goes underground again and emerges selling roses on street corners in Texas.

Well, maybe it's not that cliched.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Did you watch it? I've seen a lot of commercials for it but had no idea what it was about. Thanks for the description.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        Did you watch it? I've seen a lot of commercials for it but had no idea what it was about. Thanks for the description.
        The commercials tell me it's trying to rip off FX' Mrs. America.

Everything from the titles to the pacing and cuts to the period is the same. It don't have Cate Blanchett tho.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Did you watch it? I've seen a lot of commercials for it but had no idea what it was about. Thanks for the description.
          I did. Definitely worth a watch.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Sundance TV is showing Roots tonight and tomorrow night to kick off Black History Month. I never saw it when it aired. Watching it now. I set the DVR as it’s on till 1am both nights and I can’t stay up that late anymore and really want to see it all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              It don't have Cate Blanchett tho.
              Well, since it’s a documentary and the story doesn’t involve Blanchett or anyone associated with her, that probably couldn’t be helped.

Comment

• Who watches "American Housewife" and how did their life come to this point?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Finished S1 of Lupin. I thought the acting of the lead as an adult was less than stellar, but otherwise the story, directing, plot and supporting cast more than made up for it. I would have preferred they wrapped the up the current arc during the season, but regardless I still look forward to S2.

I watched a few episodes of World's Toughest Prisons but it's preposterously repetitive and stopped.

Very much enjoying The Crown and Queen's Gambit with a slight nod to QG.

I don't get the hype around Bridgerton. It's freaking awful and I put an end to it.

It looks like S3 of Killing Eve will start on April 12th!!

I think you can get it on HBO Max, but regardless for those of you with access to watch the Italian family crime series Gomorrah I highly, highly recommend. Based upon an incredible book of the same name by Robert Saviano it's tremendously gritty and not plagued by clichés. So true to live he had to go into hiding from the Comorra whom the book and series is based upon. The series is every bit as strong as the original movie and I also recommend an accompanying moving called The Immortal that ties into the series.

Comment

• S4 of Killing Eve you mean?
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Almost done with Raised by Wolves

im still not sure if this sucks or it’s good. But it went from interesting standard sci-fi plot to “what the **** did I just see?”
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        S4 of Killing Eve you mean?
                        Dammit - you're right. I thought there had already been 3 but when I googled, "next season killing eve" and only saw information on S3 I overrode my memory. In digging now S4 is approved but from what I can tell filming hasn't yet started?

Comment

• The first episode of HBO's The Investigation was pretty good, imho. It's a dramatization of a true life crime story out of Finland from a few years ago in which the cops had to unravel a pretty complicated murder.

Comment

• Since I already did all the leg work when i was researching what i wanted to replace Youtube TV. I thought I'd share it here for anyone else to use.
                            Service Yearly Monthly
                            Peacock Premium (Ads) $49.99 $4.99
                            Peacock Premium (No Ads) $99.99 $9.99
                            Amazon Prime (Full) $119.00 $12.99
                            Amazon Prime Video N/A $8.99
                            Disney/Hulu/ESPN (bundle) N/A $12.99
                            Disney+ $69.99 $6.99
                            Hulu $59.99 $5.99
                            Hulu (NoAds) N/A $11.99
                            Hulu + Live TV N/A $64.99
                            ESPN+ (not ESPN networks) $49.99 $5.99
                            CBS All Access $59.99 $5.99
                            CBS All Access (No Ads) $99.99 $9.99
                            Discovery+ N/A $4.99
                            Discovery+ (No Ads) N/A $6.99
                            BritBox $69.99 $6.99
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Thank you!
                              Cornell University
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                The first episode of HBO's The Investigation was pretty good, imho. It's a dramatization of a true life crime story out of Finland from a few years ago in which the cops had to unravel a pretty complicated murder.
                                Is it Nordic Noir? I love that style.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X