This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Finished season 2 of succession. Brilliant.
    Brilliant is exactly right

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Finished season 2 of succession. Brilliant.
      Yes. That show is splendid.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• As soon as it went to black I thought “That was so thoroughly predictable yet I found it unexpected and surprising.”

That’s a tough needle to thread.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Death to 2020 was pretty good. Samuel Jackson is, as always, worth the time spent -- there were times I thought he was Larry Wilmore. And as god is my witness Hugh Grant was amazing.

But my god, the Brits are obsessed with their eejit inbred royals. Get over it already!
          Last edited by Kepler; 12-30-2020, 02:47 PM.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Mindhunter S3 is not going to happen. #%&@#!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              Mindhunter S3 is not going to happen. #%&@#!!
              Huh. Did they have other stuff to do?

TBH, S2 wasn't a patch on S1 so maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

I would give a lot for West World to have ended after S1.
              Cornell University

Comment

Mindhunter S3 is not going to happen. #%&@#!!
                That sucks. Did they give a reason?
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

That sucks. Did they give a reason?
                  https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/mindhunter-season-three-not-happening.html

Now, David Fincher, Mindhunter’s executive producer, most frequent director, and de facto showrunner, has seemed to confirmed that the Pittsburgh-shot series is indeed two-and-done. “We lived there for almost three years,” he said during an interview about his new film Mank. “Not year in and year out, but … probably six or seven months a year … Mindhunter was a lot for me.”

Fincher says that at the start of the second season, he “ended up looking at what was written and deciding I didn’t like any of it, so we tossed it and started over.” He promoted Courtenay Miles, who had been working on the series as an assistant director, to co-showrun; still, he said, “It’s a 90-hour workweek. It absorbs everything in your life. When I got done, I was pretty exhausted, and I said, ‘I don’t know if I have it in me right now to break season three.’” Netflix didn’t argue; CEO Ted Sarandos and Cindy Holland, at the time the company’s VP for original content, just asked Fincher if there was something else he wanted to work on (thus Mank).

Another quote mentioned it was a very expensive show to film relative to the return.

Comment

https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/mindhunter-season-three-not-happening.html

Another quote mentioned it was a very expensive show to film relative to the return.
                    Ok. I guess if it's the people making it who decide they don't have it in them for another season, I can't really complain. Just glad it wasn't Netflix or some accountant somewhere that pulled the plug.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Hard to complain about that. I wish more shows would know when it’s over and call it.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• One good thing about HBO Max is being able to dig through some of the older original series’ like From The Earth To The Moon.

The Apollo 12 episode “That’s All There Is” is one of my all time favorite TV episodes.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Finished The Boys S2.

I really enjoyed the resolution and kinda hope the shows ends here. This gave me what I wanted* from the show and it hasn't embarrassed itself yet.

* Spoilers to follow:

Positives:

Stormfront, a.k.a. the Republican arc. The entire arc was in the name and so there was nothing surprising, but she served her purpose well and delivered on the S2 dilemma of every one of these shows: how do you top your S1 Big Bad and if you are keeping him around how do you humanize him while keeping him evil? It helped that the Stormfront actress was one of the only competent actors in the series (Homelander, Frenchy, and The Quietly Terrifying Guy from Better Call Saul rounding out that category) so even though she was given even dumber dialog than most she still really controlled almost every scene she was in.

Butcher and Wifey. Although together they have the sexual chemistry of ding dong ditch and the middle aged haus frau who steps in it, the contrived setting and the MacGuffin of Super Boy somehow made this... work? I mean as in I actually somewhat believed, and certainly felt for, the parental concern of Wifey and the Doomed Abandoned Love of Butcher. And their interactions were almost human, making this one of the few places in scriptwriting where it was not painfully obvious that dialog was written by 20-somethings who have never stepped outside their own heads for 15 seconds and have zero life experience to draw from.

Magic Starbright's ever-shrinking costume. What began as an eye-roll hamfisted attempt to critique the sexism of comic book movie franchises seems to have abandoned itself about halfway into S2 and just gone with it. MS can barely deliver a line of dialog, and she has the full emotional range of a cheaply made knock off action figure, but what she can do is play Flyover Splooge Cannon when sufficiently debased, and they finally just did that. Were I the actress I would consider any other line of work before I age out, but in her glory she actually managed to justify her screen time.

Homelander. The actor is great, the character is great. This is actually a contribution to American arts and letters, like Elmer Gantry or Larry "Lonesome" Rhodes. He, like they, is the perfect characterization of the rancid side of America: the monstrousness of our murderous strength and desperation to be loved. Homelander is the America of Reagan and Dubya and, finally, stripped of all illusion, Dump: the villain of the world stage with no clue it isn't a shining beacon. He is our id. As hateful and pathetic as he is, I am rooting for him to somehow redeem himself, for the same reason I still vote.

The pacing and the general flow of S2. It had a reason to be, unlike spectacular flame outs like S3 West World or even tepid re-runnings like S2 Mindhunter. The major characterization gained almost nothing but the minor characters actually fleshed out -- somewhat. Deep and A-Train's Fresca Scientology arc actually made them distinct people -- for example we actually know far more about Deep's personality than Meg Quaid's. We know more about Starbright's Mom than Starbright. S2 was not just about monetizing a property that unexpectedly did well in S1 and suddenly had to be stretched out (cough Heroes, Stranger Things).

Negatives:

I may have mentioned the writing is bad.

The writing is bad.

Super Boy. For just one split second in the finale I thought the show might have done the one and only original thing it could with the little bundle of Gen Z Neuroses and offed him. Graphically murdering Homelander's Surrogate Mommy was the show's signature dramatic moment -- it's Red Wedding when you realized it was possible to penetrate Plot Armor and actually kill a significant figure. Super Boy -- utterly useless except as a plot device for Butcher and perhaps to pull on the tender heart strings of a few haggard 30-something new mother Furries in Scottsdale, Arizona -- has literally been asking to be killed off since his fun shocker introduction. Rarely (Wesley Crusher) has there been a TV child so in need of obliteration. Hopefully the show will spirit their Madonna and Child off screen forever and resist whatever marketing temptation there is to dredge them back up. Their reappearance would probably constitute a jump the shark moment.

All the incidental figures in Meg Quaid's life. With the exception of Girlfriend Hands, who was at least great black comedy, every character who touches Meg Quaid not actually in the Scoobs is worthless. They exist to further our understanding of him and I am not interested in any understanding of him. The Walking Quintessence of Billy Joel Fandom is one reason I try never to be within 300 miles of my birthplace (there are three types of Long Island males: him, Seinfeld, and Louie De Palma) and I sure never want to see it on my teevee.

Miss Saigon. Completely wasted. Did they just not know what to do? Did the talent annoy the writers so they just quit on her? Or was she only there in the first place to make the Scoobs a little more diverse (compare with Ghostface Killah, who is the heart of the Scoobs and has a fully formed personality)? This is not either the actress or character's fault -- there was plenty of room for her.

Queen Maeve's Wise Latina. Oh god give it a rest.

Anyway, I thought this season was excellent. As good in its own way as S1. I am not hopeful about S3 because it's only a matter of time until some set of morons -- the money, bullpen writers, runaway fan service -- ruins it. But... we'll see.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 01-01-2021, 03:34 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• With all my downtime lately, I rewatched all six seasons of The Americans. What a show.

Such a strong performance all the way through and one of the best finales. I honestly would love a two hour movie to wrap up where the characters were a decade post Cold War.

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                              S1 of the Simpsons on Hulu. This was SO good.
                              And thats the show in its infant era. It doesn't hit its stride until season 3.

Seasons 3 through 9 are considered the Golden Era, with 10-12 being the Silver Era and the point where you can see the drop coming.

Later seasons are better known for having one off individual great episodes, but overall are mostly mediocre.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                One good thing about HBO Max is being able to dig through some of the older original series’ like From The Earth To The Moon.

The Apollo 12 episode “That’s All There Is” is one of my all time favorite TV episodes.
                                Oooohhh. Forgot about this series being in the HBO vault. Made my mom upgrade her DirecTV package (at that time USSB) to include HBO just so I could watch this series.

To this day she still has HBO (and I get the ability to stream it with her DTV login).
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X