This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I watched the four part series on Netflix regarding the Challenger space shuttle. In my opinion it was outstanding.

Each of the parts is 45-55 minutes long, so it isn't too daunting of a watch. As with other limited series like this one, it probably could have been slightly condensed, but in this case it kept me interested throughout.

It gives a good accounting of the history of the space shuttle program and the enrollment of the astronauts into it. We hear directly from many of the astronauts who went through the program with some of the Challenger victims, and we also get a lot of back story from family members of the Challenger crew.

But then, mixed in with the general history of the program and the crew, we have a pretty detailed and frank discussion of the 0-ring problem, the history of that problem, and the relationship between engineers at the contractor, management at the contractor pulled between their engineers' science and their customer's pressure, and NASA officials who insisted they launch.

The current day interviews with the contractor management, and with the NASA officials, is astounding. When the NASA official who made the call looks into the lens and says, "knowing what I know today, I'd still order the launch," you want to reach through your tv screen and shout, "dude, it blew up!"
    I just watched this...and agree with all of this. The arrogance of the people at NASA was ridiculous but the dude saying he would make the same decision now made my brain hurt.

The fact that NASA ignored the warnings from the company who built the boosters is just a level of stupidity that cannot be overstated.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Finished Season 6 of Homeland last night. I think Season 6 of Homeland tells us more about America than any other show I have ever watched. Well done. Two very important characters saw their swan songs in the season and the setup for season 7 was predictable but sad. Kind of like the state of the nation today. Predictable and sad.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• S4 of Fargo. E1 was a banger and extremely stylish. Jason Schwartzman is completely miscast imho but even with that I'm on board at least after E1.

Comment

• Final season of Sherlock disappointed me. It died of "can you top this" disease. Too bad, it was a good show over all, though nothing will ever beat S1 and they could/should have stopped after it.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Finished Season 6 of Homeland last night. I think Season 6 of Homeland tells us more about America than any other show I have ever watched. Well done. Two very important characters saw their swan songs in the season and the setup for season 7 was predictable but sad. Kind of like the state of the nation today. Predictable and sad.
            I still get mad at what they did to my fav character

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              I am watching the show Away on Netflix. It is about the first man mission to Mars. It is up and down so far but I am enjoying it so far.
              Is that the one with Josh Charles?

Comment

• Yep. I am not a super big fan of his character in the show sadly.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Finished Season 6 of Homeland last night. I think Season 6 of Homeland tells us more about America than any other show I have ever watched. Well done. Two very important characters saw their swan songs in the season and the setup for season 7 was predictable but sad. Kind of like the state of the nation today. Predictable and sad.
                  Scoob, you can spoilerize it for me to not ruin it for others who may not know, but i don't remember two. I know one, Quinn, but who was the other?
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Dar Adal at least from what I can gather and what my daughter told me.
                    Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 10-03-2020, 05:37 PM.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• OK, but nobody will miss him.
                      Last edited by rufus; 09-29-2020, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• You know if you quote it we can see it...just saying.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• If they really try hard enough. I can't make it out just reading through quickly.

But I'll edit, just for you.

Comment

• Quoting spoilers, u r doin it wrong

It's a sled.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Quoting spoilers, u r doin it wrong
                              Wrong. It's his mistress' clitoris.

Comment

• Hey I dont care I havent watched one second of Homeland so even if I had seen it I wouldnt know what it means. But others have so I was just giving you a heads up.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X