This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post

I think the Stand Up to Cancer ones are not available in the US. At least not that I could find. Only the holiday themed ones, of which there have only been 3 with celebs that I can tell. Those 3 were ok though I thought. But the only people I recognized were the Derry Girls.

Looks like the 1st 7 seasons of GBBS are on The Roku Channel. Everything after that is on Netflix. Sue and Mel were always the best hosts. But the Sandi/Noel combo was good too. And I think Noel continues to be good overall. Matt Lucas was a bad fit. Allison Hammond seemed ok in here 1 season so far.
    Noel is a god, and Matt was excellent. I haven't hated any of the non-Matts, but I haven't liked any of them, either. Sandi set my teeth on edge, but I hate that type of persona so it's not her fault.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Noel is a god, and Matt was excellent. I haven't hated any of the non-Matts, but I haven't liked any of them, either. Sandi set my teeth on edge, but I hate that type of persona so it's not her fault.
      Matt is considered by many to be the worst. So it doesn't surprise me that you like him . Noel is widely considered to be the best individual host (which I would probably agree with). Mel and Sue seem to be liked more as a pair than individually.
      Last edited by Proud2baLaker; 02-14-2024, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

My SO loves that show...I just can't. British people are annoying ;^)

(they are very nice people on that show though)
        I used to love British people until I started dating one!

Comment

• GBBO is great. The early episodes too!

I still think about that bread lion.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Jon Oliver offering Clarence Thomas a million bucks a year if he leaves the court (legit) was amazing! Adding a luxury bus to sweeten the deal **chefs kiss**
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• True Detective finale I thought was quite excellent. Great show. After having seen now the first season I would put this one right up there with that one.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                True Detective finale I thought was quite excellent. Great show. After having seen now the first season I would put this one right up there with that one.
                I soured on it a bit after the first episode but still finished it. Now, I don’t think it’s nearly as bad as the incels and some are making it- just don’t think it’s as good as some critics say it was. Some crazy plot holes and terrible writing at times. Weird pacing too

Comment

• So I watched this weeks Jon Stewart TDS...meh. He just seems so tired and out of place with the rest of the show. Even the audience didn't seem like they were in sync with him. Ignoring the fact that he seemed bitter he got ripped for his Biden critiques (and he definitely did) even his takedown of Tucker was...kind of watered down. It wasn't bad mind you, everything he said was legit but the combination of the fact that he was days behind due to him only working once a week and the fact that his satire seems a step slow...it just didn't work. Everything he said has already been said, multiple times, and as he tried to point out at the end the story is almost obsolete because of what has happened since that interview. The things Jon said would have had more impact if they had been made last week, now they seem like when a student was missing for a few days and is asking questions about the lectures we had while they are gone.

Maybe he needed to come back a few months ago to get into the swing of things...or maybe he just aged out of it and it is noticeable because guys like Jon Oliver and Jordan Klepper are 15 years younger but Jon seems more in tune with doing a podcast than TDS right now. Hopefully by the time the summer hits and election season is in full swing he will be back on the horse though.

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Jon is old and operating like it's still 2015, so it's good that he had Traitorous Tucker to lay into this week. I enjoyed this week's show more than last week's. I do think leveraging Keith Olbermann as a detractor was lazy, since he's a pompous arse who hates everyone who doesn't conform to his genius thinking (sarc). And honestly, Tucker is so ridiculous now as to be almost beyond mockery, hence the deadpanned, "I know I've said this before - you're such a dick."

Comment

• It is not an insult to say a comedian's humor is not contemporary. Have you met contemporary?

JS is probably not going to be the cupa for people who think memes and social media hits are the pinnacle of satire. He's not meta. I think his intended audience is pretty much the same people who watched TDS when he was host -- they have more power to effect change now; in fact they are the liberal establishment now, the GS 15's in the federal government, and the COOs of Non Profits and main muscle of places like Brookings. He's chicken soup for the people like my wife who do battle every day in the trenches against the Nazis. There's a place for that. It's not my politics, it's too safe, but he's closer to the pulse of the people who will actually defeat the MAGAts than my fey parlor pinkism.

Oliver tries to reach The Keeeds and while I love him it can be cringe. Colbert is Jack Benny 80 years later -- he is timeless, he will never age off, because it all comes from kindness and a deeply conservative temperament amused by the idiocy of modernity. Stewart is a topical humorist: he's our day's Steve Allen. He definitely has an expiration date, but I am well within it so I'm fine with him.

No like? No watch.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 02-20-2024, 11:10 AM.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Eh, I still love him. I went to live taping of the daily show 3 or 4 times when I lived in nyc. I’m not a meme person.

I haven’t watched the second show yet but a lot of his long time fans have felt the same way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          Eh, I still love him. I went to live taping of the daily show 3 or 4 times when I lived in nyc. I’m not a meme person.

I haven’t watched the second show yet but a lot of his long time fans have felt the same way.
                          I haven't watched show 2. I hope he did not whine too hard about the pushback. People are allowed to have opinions, even dumb ones. Maybe especially dumb ones. And I did sit there with my wife watching the first show thinking, "Joe Biden is the only thing standing between us and the Nuremburg Laws, so he is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I have ever known."

In an age in which apparently 90% of the electorate has the intelligence of a door stop, do not put anything negative out there. It's the Eleventh Commandment. So if that was the gist of the criticism, I agree with it.

Last edited by Kepler; 02-20-2024, 11:19 AM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            It is not an insult to say a comedian's humor is not contemporary. Have you met contemporary?

JS is probably not going to be the cupa for people who think memes and social media hits are the pinnacle of satire. He's not meta. I think his intended audience is pretty much the same people who watched TDS when he was host -- they have more power to effect change now; in fact they are the liberal establishment now, the GS 15's in the federal government, and the COOs of Non Profits and main muscle of places like Brookings. He's chicken soup for the people like my wife who do battle every day in the trenches against the Nazis. There's a place for that. It's not my politics, it's too safe, but he's closer to the pulse of the people who will actually defeat the MAGAts than my fey parlor pinkism.

Oliver tries to reach The Keeeds and while I love him it can be cringe. Colbert is Jack Benny 80 years later -- he is timeless, he will never age off, because it all comes from kindness and a deeply conservative temperament amused by the idiocy of modernity. Stewart is a topical humorist: he's our day's Steve Allen. He definitely has an expiration date, but I am well within it so I'm fine with him.

No like? No watch.
                            I’ve seen some young guys. There’s talent out there.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8KsXSD5/
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• We enjoyed Monsieur Spade especially the fact they wrapped-up S1 in a crisp 6 episodes. Didn't feel cheated and they reduced the risk of it going too far.

Obliterated on the other hand has been a fun and raunchy ride but does not need 8 episodes. I'll watch the final 2 somewhat begrudgingly.

I saw that Norm MacDonald Has a Show is on Netflix. I didn't love him in that format but I'll probably watch his 1 season again.

Comment

• Seemed (Jon Stewart) fine to me last night. Must be my age.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X