This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Not likely. Do you still listen to Michael Jackson? Watch Woody Allen films? Enjoy Kang the Conqueror in upcoming Marvel films? People separate the artist from the art all the time and they will with her as well.
    Rarely.
    I was a huge (yes, huge) Woody Allen fan for a long time. I don't have any desire to watch any of them again.
    I never enjoyed Kang the Conqueror.

But, that's not really the point. The transformation for me was more of an understanding of both sides of the story. I have a more enlightened view of what it means to be Transgender because of that podcast and I have a better understanding of Rowling.

I will watch the Harry Potter series.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

The podcast changed me. I think it would change anyone who listens to it.
      Changed in what manner? Like being more receptive of her POV? know a big talking point of hers is that she feels creating more inclusive language (ex: pregnant people, uterus-haver) is erasing women and hurting the feminist movement. However, that’s a separate discussion than just being anti-trans, which she’s become pushing the former.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

Changed in what manner? Like being more receptive of her POV? know a big talking point of hers is that she feels creating more inclusive language (ex: pregnant people, uterus-haver) is erasing women and hurting the feminist movement. However, that’s a separate discussion than just being anti-trans, which she’s become pushing the former.
        No. Being more receptive of BOTH points of view. I think episode 6 was the best because it was an interview with two Transgender people, their stories, and their reaction to Rowling. I think Rowling has handled this horribly but I do not think she is irredeemable.

The problem again appears to be that all the oxygen is on the extremes of both sides.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• I should have expanded on my first post more. It sounds like I’m saying it would fail because of Rowling, but she was just an additional reason. The other reasons would be that if this does become a hit, ten years is a long time to lock in for TV, especially in the streaming age. Unless you lock the actors in early for a contract, that’s going to be an insanely expensive show by the end. This coming from HBO Max which has not only been deleting stuff from its library to cut costs, but has also literally filmed a whole season of a show and then just didn’t release it to save costs.

On top of that it’ll be hard to come close to the chemistry of the original cast. They nailed every character the first time around. If they manage to bat 1.000 and create another worldwide phenomenon from the same content again, good for them, but it wasn’t just the content from the books that made the movies so popular.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I should have expanded on my first post more. It sounds like I’m saying it would fail because of Rowling, but she was just an additional reason. The other reasons would be that if this does become a hit, ten years is a long time to lock in for TV, especially in the streaming age. Unless you lock the actors in early for a contract, that’s going to be an insanely expensive show by the end. This coming from HBO Max which has not only been deleting stuff from its library to cut costs, but has also literally filmed a whole season of a show and then just didn’t release it to save costs.

On top of that it’ll be hard to come close to the chemistry of the original cast. They nailed every character the first time around. If they manage to bat 1.000 and create another worldwide phenomenon from the same content again, good for them, but it wasn’t just the content from the books that made the movies so popular.
            I guess it depends on what they plan on doing.

No reason to redo Harry Potter. Maybe they do something new? The video game was from the late 1800's. The Fantastic Beasts series (not the greatest) was from the early mid 1900's. They maybe could expand on the video game era. Who knows?

Or, maybe they want to redo the entire original movie series again and add all the things they had to cut for the movies. Hard to say.

Comment

I guess it depends on what they plan on doing.

No reason to redo Harry Potter. Maybe they do something new? The video game was from the late 1800's. The Fantastic Beasts series (not the greatest) was from the early mid 1900's. They maybe could expand on the video game era. Who knows?

Or, maybe they want to redo the entire original movie series again and add all the things they had to cut for the movies. Hard to say.
              It’s redoing all the books. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were spin-offs with all new stories if it’s successful enough.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

It’s redoing all the books. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were spin-offs with all new stories if it’s successful enough.
                Interesting. I guess I was ignorant and didn't know that. I'll still watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  And if Kieran Culkin doesn't win the Emmy this year, that award loses all meaning. He probably should have won it last year too. It's one of the best acted characters I've ever seen.
                  Well, if it's lead actor, he's going to lose to Pascal. He shouldn't, but that's in the bag.

IMO the best actor from last season was Matthew Macfadyen. The season before it was Jeremy Strong, and the season before that was Brian Cox. So one show ought to have had 4 consecutive different best actors. Nobody has ever done that before.

Of course what it really means is it isn't the actors, it's the writer.

Last edited by Kepler; 04-14-2023, 02:19 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

No. Being more receptive of BOTH points of view. I think episode 6 was the best because it was an interview with two Transgender people, their stories, and their reaction to Rowling. I think Rowling has handled this horribly but I do not think she is irredeemable.

The problem again appears to be that all the oxygen is on the extremes of both sides.
                    The problem is she won't shut up just like Chappelle. They don't like all the people disagreeing with them so they fight way harder than need be in response. If she just stopped talking about it it would blow over but no the ego freak needs to stir the pot so she can make herself a spectical.

She isn't as bad as she makes herself out to be. Even if she was though no one would stop watching or buying her stuff. And I am fine with that.
                    Last edited by Handyman; 04-14-2023, 02:22 PM.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Matthew Macfayden is good in pretty much everything he’s in. I think seeing him in other things makes his performance as Tom all the more impressive. I also enjoy Nicholas Braun’s Greg. :^D
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

The problem is she won't shut up just like Chappelle.
                        What is Chappelle supposed to shut up about?
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                          Matthew Macfayden is good in pretty much everything he’s in. I think seeing him in other things makes his performance as Tom all the more impressive. I also enjoy Nicholas Braun’s Greg. :^D
                          I coudn't believe it when Macfayden opened his mouth and I realized his Tom is a completely put on accent. It's like Hugh Laurie. I just assumed he was some corn pone midwesterner, it's perfect.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Rowling is just old. She's not bad at all, her heart's in the right place, she just has been around the sun too many times and her ideas are awful now. She lasted too long.

My parents didn't want blacks and whites to marry because they felt the children would be miserable from the racism of other people. They were kind people, but they could not make the leap that society had to change, not the people.

It's what happens. I'm sure if we last long enough we will say some horrible things. We won't have changed, the world will.
                            Cornell University

Comment

The problem is she won't shut up just like Chappelle. They don't like all the people disagreeing with them so they fight way harder than need be in response. If she just stopped talking about it it would blow over but no the ego freak needs to stir the pot so she can make herself a spectical.

She isn't as bad as she makes herself out to be. Even if she was though no one would stop watching or buying her stuff. And I am fine with that.
                              I don't disagree. She seems to be doubling down. I think she has reasons for doubling down, but again, I think everyone needs to have an adult conversation about this and they're not.

Comment

• I agree on macfayden over culkin last year.

poor odenkirk. Gonna lose one more time

Comment

Working...
                                X