Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Cool.

1. So gut the content you already own
    2. lose subscribers
    3. ???
    4. Profit

:-P
    They haven't lost subscribers and they gutted content that was not very highly watched. It made more money being sold off than it was bringing in being ignored on HBO Max.

Their only shot to get back into the black is to trim a lot of needless fat and start bringing in money. They lost nothing selling off Westworld and the like because they have plenty more that gets viewed a lot more. They don't need people doom scrolling like Netflix they need peele to actually seek out things to watch.

It is not nearly as simplistic as either of us think it is. The mistakes AT&T made set WB back a decade and HBO Max at least 2 years. It is just now starting to shift but they burned so much money on bad ideas and a terrible streaming launch that this is legit the only way to stop the bleeding. Short term pain for longterm survival.

(and I'm not even really scratching the surface of how bad it got)

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

Mindy Project was one of the best sitcoms of the last two decades, but yeah other than that.
      The first two seasons are very good. After that it drops off badly. It jumped a Sharknado it got so bad.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• I just binged The Offer...best 10 episodes I have watched in a long time! It honestly makes me love The Godfather more and I don't cats how accurate or inaccurate it is. Just brilliant!
        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          I just binged The Offer...best 10 episodes I have watched in a long time! It honestly makes me love The Godfather more and I don't cats how accurate or inaccurate it is. Just brilliant!
          I've wanted to see that since it was released but I'm not going to pay money for another streaming service I won't watch, just for one show.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            I just binged The Offer...best 10 episodes I have watched in a long time! It honestly makes me love The Godfather more and I don't cats how accurate or inaccurate it is. Just brilliant!
            I thought it was wonderful all the way through. I was very happy the stuck the landing.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

Mindy Project was one of the best sitcoms of the last two decades, but yeah other than that.
              Gonna have to disagree there.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Given that a high percentage of people watching TLOU know how the first game ended. How many seasons are they taking to get to that plot point?

Can't really drag it out like a cliffhanger in a new series.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                  Given that a high percentage of people watching TLOU know how the first game ended. How many seasons are they taking to get to that plot point?

I’m kinda curious how far they get, especially since one of the episodes is supposed to be based on the “Left Behind” DLC.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Given that a high percentage of people watching TLOU know how the first game ended. How many seasons are they taking to get to that plot point?

Hopefully the series will go a different way so it won't be spoiled for game players (and so game players won't spoil it for us).
                    Last edited by Kepler; 01-19-2023, 01:39 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Don't know the answer to that, but the podcast reveals that the show is progressing faster than originally planned. The first episode was going to end (spoiler)when Joel throws the little girl on the fire
                      However HBO executives balked at that because "We want people to tune in to episode two" and that would be way too bleak a way to end episode one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Hopefully the series will go a different way so it won't be spiled for game players (and so game players won't spoil it for us).
                        No, just no.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          No, just no.
                          But why? Why would gamers want to know everything that is going to happen? Just pure fan service, no surprises?
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

But why? Why would gamers want to know everything that is going to happen? Just pure fan service, no surprises?
                            Because the story from the game is fantastic and I don’t want change just for the sake of change or because some writer who thinks video games are beneath him wants to change things. That’s why most video game adaptations suck. The story is really great, I want to enjoy it again and see other people people enjoy it too.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              Because the story from the game is fantastic and I don’t want change just for the sake of change or because some writer who thinks video games are beneath him wants to change things.
                              That's not the point. At all. Man, the skins here are thin.

I don't have a dog this fight, this is chewing gum entertainment and if you want to sit through the same story you already know so I can watch it fresh then great. I'm just saying they should consider killing Joel and Ellie every week. Just throw a d100 and axe him on a 00 and her on a 69. Odds are you can get through 20 or so episodes before one of the bites it, and it would really open up the narrative. Killing off his smart, black, quirky daughter midway through the pilot was brilliant as it subverted every trope.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Yes. It's way too early to tell if it's also good. If Kaling is writing it it's not going to be good. If they just slapped her name on it to suck in her audience, then who knows, the real writers may be talented.
                                Wasn't she one of the writers of the better loved The Office episodes?
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X