This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

Yea... Blatant racism and "bad" cops are never going away....
    You never know.

The military was insanely racist once, and it figures given that it's basically recruited from rural this-or-meth whites and urban this-or-prison blacks. That racism is for the most part history if my many ex-mil corworkers are a good example. Many of them have stories where they went into the military from Jerkwater, Jesusf-ckistan filled up with racist garbage from their Republican parents and pastor, and all of that sh-t dissolved in the real life experience of bunking and training with The Element.

The as-hat racists who are left aren't typically soldiers, they are soldier wanna be's who flunked the psych exam and had to settle for being cops or gym coaches.

The point is, if we fumigate the police departments of the lowlives the way Eisenhower did with the armed services, police do not have to, ipso facto, be racists. They probably do have to be low IQ unwitting dupes of a malevolent ruling class to do what amounts to domestic terrorism against poor people, but they can be diverse and tolerant ones!
    Last edited by Kepler; 07-31-2020, 01:06 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Finally saw the pilot for Schitt's Creek. I'm glad Eugene Levy and Chris Elliott are getting work but good lord the writing is bad. One bad thing about the Golden Age of Television: shows that would have been decent in the 90s are now unwatchable.

Tell me it gets better and I'll keep trying, but... uffda (did I do that right?) when the power surge blew away the final 5 minutes I was so happy to be done with it.

From another part of the forest, Ultimate Beastmaster is miles better than American Ninja Warrior. Far more interesting obstacles. They still do the revolting "behind the music" garbage clips to introduce the athletes, but if you FF them and any shot showing their families the actual competition is excellent. And, bonus, it's a totally safe environment for Over The Top Racism because each country's announcers self-inflict. I'm pretty sure the Germans made a coprophilia joke and that wasn't even in the top 10 most offensive things I heard from season 3.

Pro tip: if you are going to want to watch all the seasons start at the beginning because they recap the prior season at the beginning of the next so like us you will ruin the prior season if you don't know this.
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Finally saw the pilot for Schitt's Creek. I'm glad Eugene Levy and Chris Elliott are getting work but good lord the writing is bad. One bad thing about the Golden Age of Television: shows that would have been decent in the 90s are now unwatchable.

Tell me it gets better and I'll keep trying, but... uffda (did I do that right?) when the power surge blew away the final 5 minutes I was so happy to be done with it.
        It gets better...snob
        Last edited by WisconsinWildcard; 07-31-2020, 01:24 AM.
        In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
          It gets better...snob
          I know it's popular with even some halfway smart people so I will try. I was actually prepared to love it and really surprised the pilot sucked so bad. And like I said I could watch Levy and Elliott all day just whittle sticks -- they are both amazing at what they do. Catherine O'Hara was lame with SCTV and still is but it's very cool to see at least a small part of the Greatest Comedy Troupe Evar !!!111! reassembled. Is Andrea Martin still alive? How about Dave Thomas? (Fun fact, Dave Thomas' dad was the head of the Philosophy department at McMaster). There's no way they're getting Joe Flaherty from those high-paying gigs.
          Cornell University

Comment

I know it's popular with even some halfway smart people so I will try. I was actually prepared to love it and really surprised the pilot sucked so bad. And like I said I could watch Levy and Elliott all day just whittle sticks -- they are both amazing at what they do. Catherine O'Hara was lame with SCTV and still is but it's very cool to see at least a small part of the Greatest Comedy Troupe Evar !!!111! reassembled. Is Andrea Martin still alive? How about Dave Thomas? (Fun fact, Dave Thomas' dad was the head of the Philosophy department at McMaster). There's no way they're getting Joe Flaherty from those high-paying gigs.
            I meant to have a winky emoticon after my last post to help with the lightheartedness of my post but the new format make that near impossible. ****ing boomers

Anyway it is good eventually. Not sure when but put the time in.
            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Emmy noms out. Happy to see Schitts Creek get so much love, along with Succession. Succession has three male nominees alone for supporting actor- go Greg!!

puzzled as to the snubs of bob odenkirk and rhea seehorn though.

Comment

• Fear City: New York vs The Mafia on Netflix. If you know nothing or next to nothing about the NY mob it's a pretty good take. From the books I've read and shows, movies, documentaries, etc that I've seen there wasn't really anything new. The interviews were pretty cool.
                They even had lumpy dump trump and after watching I did a little nosing around and found this,

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...ies-explained/
                A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                  Emmy noms out. Happy to see Schitts Creek get so much love, along with Succession. Succession has three male nominees alone for supporting actor- go Greg!!

puzzled as to the snubs of bob odenkirk and rhea seehorn though.
                  Also puzzled as to the continued nominations of black-ish.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Schitts Creek takes a bit. I think I originally quit after like 4 episodes but by the end of season 1 it starts to get its feet under it. Seasons 3 and 4 are outstanding IIRC. I am finishing the final season now cause my gf binged it and she had the same issues you did...in fact this is her second time trying and she now is about to cry cause tonight we will finish it.

You have to cut it a bit of slack because it is basically Dan Levy and Eugene Levy (mostly Dan) on their own with almost no budget building this whole thing. I think Dan knew where he wanted to go with it but getting there took turns he wasnt expecting. Once it kind of stops trying to be a sitcom and focuses on how the family is evolving it just gets super good. Eugene Levy really starts to shine with his subtlety and jack of all trades abilities.

It isnt the greatest thing of all time but when it gets good I would put it on equal footing with shows like Arrested Development. (seasons 1-2 of AR are fantastic...the rest are mediocre) The way the family and the town change is pretty awesome.

Man I wish there was an SCTV reunion. I used to watch the re-runs when I was a kid and I liked it more than SNL. (and I LOVED SNL)
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

Also puzzled as to the continued nominations of black-ish.
                      Whats wrong with that? The show has definitely outlived its time (as most sitcoms on Network TV do) but I think it earns it just cause they do 1-2 really brilliant (often not funny and not meant to be) episodes a season. I am not sure it was from the last year but the episode where Dre has to give a presentation about a famous Black Person person for the end of Black History Month was fantastic. Speaking as an educator whose gf is also an educator the way it took education to task over the coverage of Blacks in school (Black History month discusses the same like 4 people and nothing else) and how this should be expanded was right on the money. Hell I learned what Juneteenth was because of that show. The episode where Dre and his son call the cops on all the Air BnBers (since they are Landowners) on all the White People but then refuse to on the Black People (and the consequences when they do end up being called) is pretty on point for right now.

I wish it was on FX cause man the fun they would have (the creator is a really interesting guy and much of the stories of the family are based on his family) but it is a pretty clever show especially compared to much of the crap that is out there.

Plus my gfs Trumper relatives hate it because they say, and this is a direct quote "That show is racist against White People!". That alone is worthy of Emmy Noms every year :-D
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Succession has three male nominees alone for supporting actor- go Greg!!
                        Greg had a good season; he's coming into his own as a sh-t in his own right. I assume the other two are Papa and Sad Face? Country Goofball must be sad.

Edit: oh, supporting. I get it now. So basically all the guys got nominated:

Papa
                        Sad Face
                        ------------
                        Country Goofball
                        Angel's Son
                        Greg
                        -----------
                        6 Feet Under Dude Who Always Plays the President
                        Last edited by Kepler; 07-31-2020, 10:08 AM.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Greg had a good season; he's coming into his own as a sh-t in his own right. I assume the other two are Papa and Sad Face? Country Goofball must be sad.
                          Papa is up for best actor. Kendal and Roman up with Greg.

siobhan is up for best supporting female too

Comment

Papa is up for best actor. Kendal and Roman up with Greg.

siobhan is up for best supporting female too
                            I thought it was:

Best actor (2): Logan and Kendal
                            Best supporting actor (3): Roman, Tom, Greg
                            Best guest actor (1): Erwan

Of all the characters on the show Shiv disgusts me the most and strikes me as the most real. That is the sort of hateful, un-self-aware monster which that class creates. The others are comic stereotypes but she's real. Maybe that means the actress is the best of the bunch.

But when a show hauls in a ton of nominations it isn't the acting, it's the writing. Armstrong is the genius in that show; the rest are riding coat tails.
                            Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              Schitts Creek takes a bit
                              Episode 2 was better. Once you get outside the immediate family and have interactions between them and the locals, it can breath and grow. I have high hopes based mostly on people from here who I respect telling me they like it.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Whats wrong with that? The show has definitely outlived its time (as most sitcoms on Network TV do) but I think it earns it just cause they do 1-2 really brilliant (often not funny and not meant to be) episodes a season. I am not sure it was from the last year but the episode where Dre has to give a presentation about a famous Black Person person for the end of Black History Month was fantastic. Speaking as an educator whose gf is also an educator the way it took education to task over the coverage of Blacks in school (Black History month discusses the same like 4 people and nothing else) and how this should be expanded was right on the money. Hell I learned what Juneteenth was because of that show. The episode where Dre and his son call the cops on all the Air BnBers (since they are Landowners) on all the White People but then refuse to on the Black People (and the consequences when they do end up being called) is pretty on point for right now.

I wish it was on FX cause man the fun they would have (the creator is a really interesting guy and much of the stories of the family are based on his family) but it is a pretty clever show especially compared to much of the crap that is out there.

Plus my gfs Trumper relatives hate it because they say, and this is a direct quote "That show is racist against White People!". That alone is worthy of Emmy Noms every year :-D
                                Maybe I gave up too early but I never saw one of these amazing episodes. All I saw were the ones where Anthony Anderson screams high-pitch about something for 21 minutes. If you want to have an insightful show about hard-hitting societal issues, your first move should not be to cast anyone from Kangaroo Jack.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X