2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ScottK View Post

Except that there wasn't 7 storms. There were 4 storms (1 of which was essentially dead already), and 3 areas that bear watching (1 of which had little to no chance of developing).
    *sigh*

Jeebus man... I knew you were going to come out of hiding to "AKSHULLY" this, which is why I tried to use "of note" instead of using the term "named". Apparently unsuccessfully. When I, an average rube, see this and then I see this, I'm going to call them storms. They're hot, they're wet, they blow, and they're not (insert SCSU euphemism here). They're storms.

I appreciate being corrected on factually incorrect assertions, but I obviously meant "seven areas that bear watching" and that seemed unusual to me regardless of whether they were above whatever threshold you cloudnerds come down off your pearly thrones and declare "This, is now a storm".

ANyways, I thought seven seemed like a lot.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

*sigh*

Jeebus man... I knew you were going to come out of hiding to "AKSHULLY" this, which is why I tried to use "of note" instead of using the term "named". Apparently unsuccessfully. When I, an average rube, see this and then I see this, I'm going to call them storms. They're hot, they're wet, they blow, and they're not (insert SCSU euphemism here). They're storms.

I appreciate being corrected on factually incorrect assertions, but I obviously meant "seven areas that bear watching" and that seemed unusual to me regardless of whether they were above whatever threshold you cloudnerds come down off your pearly thrones and declare "This, is now a storm".

ANyways, I thought seven seemed like a lot.
      storm
      /stôrm/

noun
      1. 1.
        a violent disturbance of the atmosphere with strong winds and usually rain, thunder, lightning, or snow.
      2. an intense low-pressure weather system; a cyclone.
      At least 3 of the areas on the map yesterday do not meet the definition of "storm"

One was an area of low-level clouds with no remaining precipitation - not a storm by any definition.
      One was a cluster of a couple of disorganized thunderstorms in the western Gulf of Mexico - not a storm
      One was a tropical wave just moving off the coast of Africa that the models predict might develop in a few days, but for now is just a few thunderstorms - not a storm
      Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
      "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

So you're saying a thunderstorm....isn't a storm?

thun·der·storm
        /ˈTHəndərˌstôrm/
        noun
        noun: thunderstorm; plural noun: thunderstorms
        1. a storm with thunder and lightning and typically also heavy rain or hail.
        GTFO

Comment

Global warming has apparently caused something (I won't call it a storm ;-) ) at about 46 deg N, the latitude of Maine, to be included among "Atlantic Tropical Cyclones and Disturbances".
          https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Global warming has apparently caused something (I won't call it a storm ;-) ) at about 46 deg N, the latitude of Maine, to be included among "Atlantic Tropical Cyclones and Disturbances".
            https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
            "Tropical Thing"
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So Sally stalled. That can’t be good.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

So Sally stalled. That can’t be good.
                Does that mean she gets stronger? (I assume she is over water.)
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I’m guessing no.

I have to believe it just means it will get weaker slower. Probably because it needs deeper, warmer water. My guess is it just can’t pull the same energy out of shallow water.
                  Code:

Comment

The NHC (not me) is forecasting pockets of 30” of rain in some areas. 6-10” of rain forecast (BY THE NHC) for six states. 10-15” in three.
                    Code:

Comment

So you're saying there's a chance.
                      Cornell University

Comment

The NHC (not me) is forecasting pockets of 30” of rain in some areas. 6-10” of rain forecast (BY THE NHC) for six states. 10-15” in three.
                        Since you decided to take this a step further, so will I - your statement that the rainfall forecast is from NHC is completely wrong. It says right above the map - US Rainfall QPF (from WPC). That's the Weather Prediction Center, a.k.a. NWS Headquarters in DC. NHC handles the tropical part, WPC handles the rainfall over the US, because it has to be incorporated into the rest of their forecasts. But thanks for trying.

As for the system well out in the Atlantic - it's rare, but tropical and/or subtropical storms, do move through the area north of the Azores on occasion (though one forming there is much rarer). Water temperatures are a little too cool, so I doubt anything that forms would be tropical, but certainly subtropical. The models send this one into the Iberian Peninsula, which is extremely rare for one to survive that far north and east.

"It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post

Since you decided to take this a step further, so will I - your statement that the rainfall forecast is from NHC is completely wrong. It says right above the map - US Rainfall QPF (from WPC). That's the Weather Prediction Center, a.k.a. NWS Headquarters in DC. NHC handles the tropical part, WPC handles the rainfall over the US, because it has to be incorporated into the rest of their forecasts. But thanks for trying.

As for the system well out in the Atlantic - it's rare, but tropical and/or subtropical storms, do move through the area north of the Azores on occasion (though one forming there is much rarer). Water temperatures are a little too cool, so I doubt anything that forms would be tropical, but certainly subtropical. The models send this one into the Iberian Peninsula, which is extremely rare for one to survive that far north and east.
                          Code:

Comment

Suboptimal.

Swarms of mosquitoes have killed cows, deer, horses and other livestock in Louisiana after rain from Hurricane Laura led to an explosion in the pests' population.

Thousands of mosquitoes have attacked animals as large as bulls, draining their blood and driving the massive creatures to pace in summer heat until they were exhausted, according to a Louisiana State University AgCenter veterinarian, agent and press release.

While recent aerial spraying efforts have helped bring the outbreak of mosquitoes under control, residents and animals in a portion of the state faced clouds of the bloodsucking insects in the days after Laura made landfall as a Category 4 hurricane on Aug. 27.

Farmers near where the storm made landfall have probably lost 300 to 400 cattle, said Dr. Craig Fontenot, a large-animal veterinarian based in Ville Platte.

“They're vicious little suckers,” he said.

Jeremy Hebert, a LSU AgCenter agent in Acadia Parish, told USA TODAY Thursday that residents along costal, marshy areas are accustomed to mosquitoes and expect the population to climb following a heavy rain. But the scale of this outbreak was much larger than Hebert expected: “I’ve never experienced anything like this."

The species of mosquito doesn’t transmit human diseases easily, Christine Navarre, an extension veterinarian with LSU AgCenter, told USA TODAY on Thursday.

But people in the area needed to take precautions at the peak of the outbreak, Hebert said. He remembers wearing long shirts and pants to cover skin and sprinting to his barn to avoid the clouds of mosquitoes. If he went outside with skin exposed, the insects quickly covered his skin.

“As soon as you would walk outside, your legs would turn black from the sheer amount of mosquitoes," Hebert said.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Suboptimal.
                              Exsanguination by mosquito has to be up there with immolation in worst ways to die.
                              Code:

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X