2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suboptimal.

Swarms of mosquitoes have killed cows, deer, horses and other livestock in Louisiana after rain from Hurricane Laura led to an explosion in the pests' population.

Thousands of mosquitoes have attacked animals as large as bulls, draining their blood and driving the massive creatures to pace in summer heat until they were exhausted, according to a Louisiana State University AgCenter veterinarian, agent and press release.

While recent aerial spraying efforts have helped bring the outbreak of mosquitoes under control, residents and animals in a portion of the state faced clouds of the bloodsucking insects in the days after Laura made landfall as a Category 4 hurricane on Aug. 27.

Farmers near where the storm made landfall have probably lost 300 to 400 cattle, said Dr. Craig Fontenot, a large-animal veterinarian based in Ville Platte.

“They're vicious little suckers,” he said.

Jeremy Hebert, a LSU AgCenter agent in Acadia Parish, told USA TODAY Thursday that residents along costal, marshy areas are accustomed to mosquitoes and expect the population to climb following a heavy rain. But the scale of this outbreak was much larger than Hebert expected: “I’ve never experienced anything like this."

The species of mosquito doesn’t transmit human diseases easily, Christine Navarre, an extension veterinarian with LSU AgCenter, told USA TODAY on Thursday.

But people in the area needed to take precautions at the peak of the outbreak, Hebert said. He remembers wearing long shirts and pants to cover skin and sprinting to his barn to avoid the clouds of mosquitoes. If he went outside with skin exposed, the insects quickly covered his skin.

“As soon as you would walk outside, your legs would turn black from the sheer amount of mosquitoes," Hebert said.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Suboptimal.
      Exsanguination by mosquito has to be up there with immolation in worst ways to die.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
        "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post

U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Local guessers waxing poetic about Teddy hitting Maine next week. We need rain but we don't need a hurricane.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

T. S. Wilfred
              https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at...start#contents
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

After W comes Alpha
                Subtropical Storm Alpha

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...?cone#contents

Another one which IMHO shouldn't be counted.
                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 09-18-2020, 01:09 PM.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

T. S. Beta
                  https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...?cone#contents
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                  X