This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

We had six months to come up with an effective online learning program and completely blew it. There is no reason at all we couldn’t have had something reasonably decent in place for September.
    You are talking about Republicans who spent the last 3 years figuring out ways to siphon education dollars to Betsy de Vos' cronies. Unless you can make safety a cash cow for them it will receive zero attention.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Ideally, high schoolers could learn online and use the HS space for more elementary/middle school who have like 8-10 to a room. That would have had to be planned out a few months ago, though, and you'd need more elementary teachers. I might as well dream that people would have stayed home long enough that we crushed the curve like Europe and Korea instead of half-assing it like we do with *everything* nowadays, though.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

You are talking about Republicans who spent the last 3 years figuring out ways to siphon education dollars to Betsy de Vos' cronies. Unless you can make safety a cash cow for them it will receive zero attention.
        I honestly think the state and local folks deserve some blame as well. From what I’ve seen they’ve more or less stuck their head in the sand and hoped for the best.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Do as we say, not as we also say: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/08/p...-rnc-robocall/

(CNN)While President Donald Trump has continuously railed against voting by mail, a Republican National Committee robocall in April voiced by his daughter-in-law Lara Trump said voting by mail could be done "safely and securely."

The call was sent in support of Republican Mike Garcia in California's 25th US House District special election, the race for the seat previously held by Democratic Rep. Katie Hill. California's election was done almost entirely by mail after Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom signed an executive order in March that required every voter to be mailed a ballot.

It was one of three RNC robocalls identified by CNN's KFile in which Lara Trump and the President's son Donald Trump Jr. urged voters to vote by mail in special elections since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic.

"Nancy Pelosi and liberal Democrats are counting on you to sit on the sidelines this election, but you can prove them wrong. You can safely and securely vote for Mike Garcia by returning your mail in ballot by May 12," Lara Trump said in the April robocall following a disclaimer it was sponsored by the Republican National Committee. Garcia went on to win the special election, defeating Democratic State Assemblywoman Christy Smith.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I don't know that it's as black and white as the feds wanting parents back to work, or parents wanting parents back to work, although I'm sure there is some of that.

There are a lot of parents out there overwhelmed by the prospect of trying to help teach their kids. They either don't have the time or skills to do so, and are rightly concerned about their kids falling behind. There are a lot of teachers that feel that way too, especially at the elementary school level.

That's the problem. We're looking at this with a "one-size fits all" approach that we too often take in this country, not only with covid but everything else. What will work for college kids doesn't necessarily work for elementary school. I have a close friend who teaches second grade and she told me that a significant percentage of her students simply lost three months of education last spring. They just stopped participating, for whatever reason, or couldn't keep up with the online learning.

You do that for a full school year, you might as well tell them to skip the year, play video games, and we'll see you back in the same grade next year (hopefully).
            The alternative is untenable. There is no way to have the schools open with full classes and be safe. None. The math doesnt add up. We would need at least twice as many classrooms (it is actually probably closer to three times as many) and at least 1 teacher for each of those rooms. (some more than 1) I would guess no teacher with underlying conditions or over the age of 50 is going to go back unless they absolutely have to. You would need to add janitorial staff to help clean the rooms between periods not to mention sanitize down all the social areas and lockers, you would need to add hundreds of on call subs and backup support staff, you would need vastly upgraded nurses offices and so many other things. Districts like say Wayzata could get away with the expense but with the size of their campus and classes it is a wasted effort.

Even having split classes where half the students go some days and the rest other days wont fix the overall issue. Too many kids, not enough rooms and not even close to enough staff and supplies.

And I feel zero sympathy for the parents teaching their kids...they deal with 1 or 2. Teachers deal with 30 per class 5-7 times a day. Boo hoo. Maybe they will learn to respect teachers again.

Going back to school too fast is as bad a decision as the "open up to save business" decision that is blowing up in the face of the GOP. It defies logic. How many times can people just ignore the facts in front of them and carelessly put others at risk to satisfy their own ends?
            Last edited by Handyman; 07-08-2020, 03:20 PM.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
              Ideally, high schoolers could learn online and use the HS space for more elementary/middle school who have like 8-10 to a room. That would have had to be planned out a few months ago, though, and you'd need more elementary teachers. I might as well dream that people would have stayed home long enough that we crushed the curve like Europe and Korea instead of half-assing it like we do with *everything* nowadays, though.
              I thought about that too...along with unused office buildings leasing out space to the districts to use as makeshift rooms.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                And I feel zero sympathy for the parents teaching their kids...they deal with 1 or 2.
                While having to deal with their own employment issues, he forgot to add.

Teachers absolutely deserve higher pay and more respect, but it's not an individual parents' fault that society relies on kids being in school. Personally speaking, I'm just happy that my daughter isn't school-aged yet and her day care has re-opened, and that my wife and I can generally work from home as needed and expect to for the rest of the year at the least. We'll be able to handle the inevitable "day care's open/closed/reopened/reclosed" cycle as COVID spreads.

But I'm not under any illusion that a lot of people will be stuck between a rock and hard place come September when their employer tells them to come back to work and they can't because their kids can't go back to school, there's no day care slots open, and they still have a mortgage to pay and groceries to buy.
                Last edited by unofan; 07-08-2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

The alternative is untenable. There is no way to have the schools open with full classes and be safe. None. The math doesnt add up. We would need at least twice as many classrooms (it is actually probably closer to three times as many) and at least 1 teacher for each of those rooms. (some more than 1) I would guess no teacher with underlying conditions or over the age of 50 is going to go back unless they absolutely have to. You would need to add janitorial staff to help clean the rooms between periods not to mention sanitize down all the social areas and lockers, you would need to add hundreds of on call subs and backup support staff, you would need vastly upgraded nurses offices and so many other things. Districts like say Wayzata could get away with the expense but with the size of their campus and classes it is a wasted effort.

Even having split classes where half the students go some days and the rest other days wont fix the overall issue. Too many kids, not enough rooms and not even close to enough staff and supplies.

And I feel zero sympathy for the parents teaching their kids...they deal with 1 or 2. Teachers deal with 30 per class 5-7 times a day. Boo hoo. Maybe they will learn to respect teachers again.

Going back to school too fast is as bad a decision as the "open up to save business" decision that is blowing up in the face of the GOP. It defies logic. How many times can people just ignore the facts in front of them and carelessly put others at risk to satisfy their own ends?
                  Bang on. One thing my wife has told me is that most of the subs at her school are retired teachers and they’re obviously not going back. It’s completely unworkable and no one in power wants to admit it.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Yikes. I know Republicans who will at least stop and think about this one. Talk about right to the center of the nerve.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Yikes. I know Republicans who will at least stop and think about this one. Talk about right to the center of the nerve.
                      They will turn on St. Ronbo if the Dems continue to "twist his words"...
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

They will turn on St. Ronbo if the Dems continue to "twist his words"...
                        They have an interesting choice to make. Hitherto conservatives have been happy to be spit roasted by Dump and The Actor. But which one gets the mouth for more intimacy?
                        Cornell University

Comment

They have an interesting choice to make. Hitherto conservatives have been happy to be spit roasted by Dump and The Actor. But which one gets the mouth for more intimacy?
                          Basically draw the line by age... If you weren't born in the 60s or earlier, you really don't have any 1st hand memories of Ronnie politically. Sure he's on a pedestal, but that's because the current generation of R's (Rush, Fox News, etc.) put him there. And as we've seen, those entities have no issue offering a swift knife to a back...
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

We had six months to come up with an effective online learning program and completely blew it. There is no reason at all we couldn’t have had something reasonably decent in place for September.
                            Do you think for one minute that they actually even tried?
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• I can guarantee you that at the very least, St. Ronnie wouldn't be Putin's little b1tch.

Comment

• There are online schools that have been in business already for years and are a fraction of the cost of most private schools. I'd encourage anyone with the means and the need to look into them. We are lucky that our school (private) has already exceptionally handled the transition so we likely will not make the move because of their global accreditation and IB program.

Comment

Working...
                                X