This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post

So neither he nor his base cares about kids or teachers.
    its sick that this plays well with them. I know it's no longer surprising...it's just sickening.
    I saw an interesting Facebook thread from a few teachers.

Say we return to school, and a few weeks into the semester, a teacher isn't feeling well and tests positive for Coronavirus.

Do they make the teacher quarantine for 14 days? If yes, who pays for it: are sick days used or is that workers-comp? Or does sick days need to be used before worker-comp?

Does every student who interacted with that teacher need to quarantine for 14 days? classmates? Other teachers?

What about teachers who are married to other teachers? Does the significant other need to self quarantine, and what about any students that spouse interacted with?

if we test to ensure there wasn't spread among the class, who pays for the testing? Schools? The parents? What if they don't have insurance?

And... are you really going to get substitute teachers willing to come in and potentially catch Coronavirus on substitute pay?
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

Say we return to school, and a few weeks into the semester, a teacher isn't feeling well and tests positive for Coronavirus.

Do they make the teacher quarantine for 14 days? If yes, who pays for it: are sick days used or is that workers-comp? Or does sick days need to be used before worker-comp?

Does every student who interacted with that teacher need to quarantine for 14 days? classmates? Other teachers?

What about teachers who are married to other teachers? Does the significant other need to self quarantine, and what about any students that spouse interacted with?

if we test to ensure there wasn't spread among the class, who pays for the testing? Schools? The parents? What if they don't have insurance?

And... are you really going to get substitute teachers willing to come in and potentially catch Coronavirus on substitute pay?
      i wonder if the teachers or their union has enough power to just say no if "forced" to come back.
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Direct some relief money from next bill for aid to schools to improve their online education capacities.

Comment

i wonder if the teachers or their union has enough power to just say no if "forced" to come back.
          Depends on the state. AZ is a slave state ("right to work," LOL) so the teachers have no power. In civilized places where the teacher union is strongest (NY? CA?) the teachers probably have sufficient power that the state must make a good faith effort to accommodate them.

I suspect it maps almost perfectly to red/blue.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So neither he nor his base cares about kids or teachers.
            its sick that this plays well with them. I know it's no longer surprising...it's just sickening.
            F them
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

The answers to the questions may differ from state to state, and may be dependent upon the language of the particular union contract for that teacher, but there are a couple of things I know. First, the new laws they passed last spring mandate two weeks of paid sick leave if you get Covid. I think that applies to schools as well. They can't make you use your own paid sick leave as a substitute.

Second, it would be tough to establish a work comp claim. Injuries or diseases have to arise out of the work. Medically speaking it would be almost impossible to connect a teacher's contraction of the disease with his or her work. That is why in many places state governments changed the rules so that for certain employees, like medical workers or first responders, it is "presumed" that it is related to the work, and thus up to the employer to prove the employee got the disease elsewhere. I don't think teachers were included in those changes.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

The answers to the questions may differ from state to state, and may be dependent upon the language of the particular union contract for that teacher, but there are a couple of things I know. First, the new laws they passed last spring mandate two weeks of paid sick leave if you get Covid. I think that applies to schools as well. They can't make you use your own paid sick leave as a substitute.

Second, it would be tough to establish a work comp claim. Injuries or diseases have to arise out of the work. Medically speaking it would be almost impossible to connect a teacher's contraction of the disease with his or her work. That is why in many places state governments changed the rules so that for certain employees, like medical workers or first responders, it is "presumed" that it is related to the work, and thus up to the employer to prove the employee got the disease elsewhere. I don't think teachers were included in those changes.
                Thank you.

With your experience dealing with the ins-and-outs of the law, is there an expiration of the 14-day leave (like there is the unemployment bonus)? And is it only good once, or if someone repeatedly tests positive at different times can still get paid to quarantine?
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Thank you.

With your experience dealing with the ins-and-outs of the law, is there an expiration of the 14-day leave (like there is the unemployment bonus)? And is it only good once, or if someone repeatedly tests positive at different times can still get paid to quarantine?
                  The paid sick leave requirement is set to expire at the end of 2020. It'll be interesting to see what happens assuming Covid is still going strong at that point, and dependent upon a new Congress.

I believe it's a one time deal. Thus, if you should come down with Covid multiple times I think the employer only has to pay you for the 14 days.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Depends on the state. AZ is a slave state ("right to work," LOL) so the teachers have no power. In civilized places where the teacher union is strongest (NY? CA?) the teachers probably have sufficient power that the state must make a good faith effort to accommodate them.

Actually some of the most successful teacher "uprisings" were in places like Oklahoma, Arizona and West Virginia during the last "completed" school year. Teachers in some of these places took on fights against the initial wishes of their unions.

The super spreader events that Aparch posted about WILL happen. It is not a matter of "if" it is only a matter of where and when if we open schools in some places like we opened bars and beaches. With some of the rhetoric coming out of the White House and a few governor's mansions, teachers should rightly be terrified of what life will be like for them around September and October.

I LOVE America.

Comment

I believe it's a one time deal. Thus, if you should come down with Covid multiple times I think the employer only has to pay you for the 14 days.
                      This is correct, it is for a total of 2 weeks (14 days, 80 hours, etc). Technically it can be cumulative for more than one occurrence but the accepted policy is that you had to isolate or quarantine for 2 weeks anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

It isnt. Minnesota is Blue and I can tell you for a fact the union doesnt have the power to fight this though they will try. Thankfully we also have a governor who gets how math and facts work so we have a chance to not be ridiculously stupid. The only chance the union has is to protect teachers who choose to not show up for in person classes (like my girlfriend is planning to do) if they make that mandatory.

There isnt enough money to make the schools safe enough to get this to work even part time. When a school has a thousand students in a grade level there is no possible way to social distance. There arent enough rooms, there arent enough teachers and there arent enough resources. Even in smaller districts they have smaller buildings and even less access to those resources. Who is going to provide all the PPP? Most teachers I know already spend plenty on supplies (since certain members of our society dont value education...even in a state like mine where Education is thought of highly) now they are going to need to provide masks and sanitizer too? Sounds just stupid enough to be what certain members of our society believe.

Lets be really clear here...the only reason the GOP wants the schools open is so the parents can go back to work. They dont give a crap about the education of the kids or whether they are at risk. (they never have that is why they gut education every chance they get and now accuse teachers of teaching students to outwardly hate America) They know if class is online that means parents cant go into work and while some businesses have planned ahead on this many havent. They cant afford to let the economy continue to stay stagnant going into the fall so they would rather risk all the students and the teachers than force businesses to adapt. This is about day care for the students not about whether they are safe and learning at all. If it was they would be falling all over themselves to procure more rooms, get more teachers and enough PPP to keep the students safe.

My college is only going to light in person loads (only for classes that require on campus work like auto work or machine shop type stuff) because of the precautions that are needed. We have better access to resources and a more flexible schedule anyways yet my whole department isnt going back because of the risks and the hassle that would be needed to keep things safe. We could theoretically make it work but would rather just be safe. Meanwhile schools that have zero chance to be able to follow the suggested guidelines for safety are likely to be forced open so Target doesnt feel a pinch in its bottom line. This whole thing is a ****ing farce.

(Note: My info comes from first hand accounts of teachers in multiple districts, higher ups in district level unions, people in positions of some authority in a specific district, all the teachers in my program including our Chair amongst others. I am sure it will be refuted but these are people who would know)
                        Last edited by Handyman; 07-08-2020, 11:21 AM.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• God, what a ****ing *******.

But the White House had made clear to officials in the Pentagon’s office of personnel and readiness, which handles such matters, that Mr. Trump did not want to see Colonel Vindman promoted, officials said.
                          https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/u...ZeQhPmmT7c8og8
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Trump loves our military

https://mobile.***********/TheRickWi...77676232835076

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

It isnt. Minnesota is Blue and I can tell you for a fact the union doesnt have the power to fight this though they will try. Thankfully we also have a governor who gets how math and facts work so we have a chance to not be ridiculously stupid. The only chance the union has is to protect teachers who choose to not show up for in person classes (like my girlfriend is planning to do) if they make that mandatory.

There isnt enough money to make the schools safe enough to get this to work even part time. When a school has a thousand students in a grade level there is no possible way to social distance. There arent enough rooms, there arent enough teachers and there arent enough resources. Even in smaller districts they have smaller buildings and even less access to those resources. Who is going to provide all the PPP? Most teachers I know already spend plenty on supplies (since certain members of our society dont value education...even in a state like mine where Education is thought of highly) now they are going to need to provide masks and sanitizer too? Sounds just stupid enough to be what certain members of our society believe.

Lets be really clear here...the only reason the GOP wants the schools open is so the parents can go back to work. They dont give a crap about the education of the kids or whether they are at risk. (they never have that is why they gut education every chance they get and now accuse teachers of teaching students to outwardly hate America) They know if class is online that means parents cant go into work and while some businesses have planned ahead on this many havent. They cant afford to let the economy continue to stay stagnant going into the fall so they would rather risk all the students and the teachers than force businesses to adapt. This is about day care for the students not about whether they are safe and learning at all. If it was they would be falling all over themselves to procure more rooms, get more teachers and enough PPP to keep the students safe.

My college is only going to light in person loads (only for classes that require on campus work like auto work or machine shop type stuff) because of the precautions that are needed. We have better access to resources and a more flexible schedule anyways yet my whole department isnt going back because of the risks and the hassle that would be needed to keep things safe. We could theoretically make it work but would rather just be safe. Meanwhile schools that have zero chance to be able to follow the suggested guidelines for safety are likely to be forced open so Target doesnt feel a pinch in its bottom line. This whole thing is a ****ing farce.

(Note: My info comes from first hand accounts of teachers in multiple districts, higher ups in district level unions, people in positions of some authority in a specific district, all the teachers in my program including our Chair amongst others. I am sure it will be refuted but these are people who would know)
                              I don't know that it's as black and white as the feds wanting parents back to work, or parents wanting parents back to work, although I'm sure there is some of that.

There are a lot of parents out there overwhelmed by the prospect of trying to help teach their kids. They either don't have the time or skills to do so, and are rightly concerned about their kids falling behind. There are a lot of teachers that feel that way too, especially at the elementary school level.

That's the problem. We're looking at this with a "one-size fits all" approach that we too often take in this country, not only with covid but everything else. What will work for college kids doesn't necessarily work for elementary school. I have a close friend who teaches second grade and she told me that a significant percentage of her students simply lost three months of education last spring. They just stopped participating, for whatever reason, or couldn't keep up with the online learning.

You do that for a full school year, you might as well tell them to skip the year, play video games, and we'll see you back in the same grade next year (hopefully).

Comment

I don't know that it's as black and white as the feds wanting parents back to work, or parents wanting parents back to work, although I'm sure there is some of that.

There are a lot of parents out there overwhelmed by the prospect of trying to help teach their kids. They either don't have the time or skills to do so, and are rightly concerned about their kids falling behind. There are a lot of teachers that feel that way too, especially at the elementary school level.

That's the problem. We're looking at this with a "one-size fits all" approach that we too often take in this country, not only with covid but everything else. What will work for college kids doesn't necessarily work for elementary school. I have a close friend who teaches second grade and she told me that a significant percentage of her students simply lost three months of education last spring. They just stopped participating, for whatever reason, or couldn't keep up with the online learning.

You do that for a full school year, you might as well tell them to skip the year, play video games, and we'll see you back in the same grade next year (hopefully).
                                We had six months to come up with an effective online learning program and completely blew it. There is no reason at all we couldn’t have had something reasonably decent in place for September.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X