MLB 2020: We'll Play Ball, I Guess.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

I wasn't aware the sculptures were called the Guardians of Traffic until after the name change was announced by the (formerly) Indians, and I became a transplanted Clevelander years ago. These sculptures are part of the Hope Memorial Bridge, known also as the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge. I see the sculptures every time I use the bridge, which is fairly regularly, but had no clue what they were. They are pretty neat looking, and once I realized where the new team name came from, it has grown on me a bit. I think if the team had changed its name 50 or 60 years ago, by now most people would think it was pretty cool. Progressive Field is at the corner of Carnegie Avenue and Ontario Street in Cleveland, and the bridge begins just a few hundred yards west of the Guardians home park, spanning the Cuyahoga River. The avenue becomes Lorain Avenue at the end of the bridge heading west.
    Having lived in Cleveland for 5 years, 100% agree with this post. I think they are very cool sculptures and I think the name will grow over time (although wish they would have handled the roller derby team stuff with more class).
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• To have proper guardians, your city needs to contain something worth guarding.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        To have proper guardians, your city needs to contain something worth guarding.
        They guard the river the burns
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

They guard the river the burns
          "Who the f* still uses a pay phone?"
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
            To have proper guardians, your city needs to contain something worth guarding.
            Maybe they are keeping the locals in?
            In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
            I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

Not effective, Machine Gun Kelly got out.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• MLB has shot down the Montreal/Tampa plan after initially giving blessing.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays...with-montreal/
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                    MLB has shot down the Montreal/Tampa plan after initially giving blessing.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays...with-montreal/
                    I hope this means they are telling them to just move. Split sites are awful; I'd have shot it down too.

Has anyone suggested they just have a second Toronto team? Or a Vancouver team (Seattle would sh-t a brick)?
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I hope this means they are telling them to just move. Split sites are awful; I'd have shot it down too.

Has anyone suggested they just have a second Toronto team? Or a Vancouver team (Seattle would sh-t a brick)?
                      I interpret it at the usual "build a nice place to play or move. 2027 is your deadline."
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

• There’s no way Rogers would allow a second team in Toronto. Plus unless there’s a shared stadium you’d probably have to build one out in Mississauga.

I would prefer Montreal to keep divisions intact, but I suppose Nashville and Carolina would accomplish the same thing.

Vegas is getting a team at some point, only question is will it be the A’s or an expansion team.
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Barry Bonds has been effectively shut out of the Hall of Fame. Last year of eligibility and didn't even come close. Schilling didn't make it either. Not sure how many more years of eligibility Roger Clemens has.

However, David Ortiz is IN.
                          Last edited by MissThundercat; 01-25-2022, 05:47 PM.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                            Barry Bonds has been effectively shut out of the Hall of Fame. Last year of eligibility and didn't even come close. Schilling didn't make it either. Not sure how many more years of eligibility Roger Clemens has.
                            **** them. Also **** every owner and writer who operated during the same period. They all knew.
                            Cornell University

Comment

• Final year as well for Clemens.

I'm okay with Ortiz being elected. Bonds, Clemens, and Curt Shilling can get fu**ed.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

**** them. Also **** every owner and writer who operated during the same period. They all knew.
                                MLB Network is having an interesting discussion about them right now. One of the writers talking said "Look how Sosa helped save baseball in 98 after the strike of 94. Look how much interest there was in the sport."

One of the former players on the same panel goes "When I think of Sosa, I think of the PED reports. I think of the corked bat. I think of all the times he got caught. That was one guy who was potentially taking a spot from me and other clean players because he was cheating to get ahead."
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X