This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Yeah, I got that. But it didn't really answer my question. So, because you choose to be obtuse about it, I'll ask directly.

Why do you choose to cast stones at the Cleveland Indians for waiting a year before voluntarily changing their name, one that Native Americans find offensive, when you've elected to continue to use a similar name as your screen name for now five or six years after your school changed because, Native Americans found the name offensive?
    Since you apparently don't understand the difference...

The Indians nickname is derogatory, offensive, and, as Cleveland even admitted, unacceptable.

The Sioux nickname is the name of a group of people. It is similar to the Vikings or the Fighting Irish. Also, while I certainly understand the historical origins of the term Sioux, in today's society, I'm not aware of any significant faction who find the name Sioux, as it pertains to the group of people, to be offensive.

And I really don't think you get my issue with Cleveland. It is because they finally acknowledge that the use of a racist/derogatory/offensive nickname is unacceptable, but will continue to utilize it for (at least) another year. That is idiotic.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

To be fair.

The Sioux logo stays because it is forking amazing.
      That logo was also designed by a Native American...albeit a member of the tribe (Ojibwe) who coined the term from which "Sioux" was developed.
      North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

I'm not aware of any significant faction who find the name Sioux, as it pertains to the group of people, to be offensive.
        Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. I’m sorry, did I hallucinate the entire multiyear saga between the school and the tribes?
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Since you apparently don't understand the difference...

The Indians nickname is derogatory, offensive, and, as Cleveland even admitted, unacceptable.

The Sioux nickname is the name of a group of people. It is similar to the Vikings or the Fighting Irish. Also, while I certainly understand the historical origins of the term Sioux, in today's society, I'm not aware of any significant faction who find the name Sioux, as it pertains to the group of people, to be offensive.

And I really don't think you get my issue with Cleveland. It is because they finally acknowledge that the use of a racist/derogatory/offensive nickname is unacceptable, but will continue to utilize it for (at least) another year. That is idiotic.
          You’re simply wrong. It was well documented during the UND nickname dispute that “Sioux” was a derogatory term applied by their enemies. As I recall it means “snake” or something similar.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. I’m sorry, did I hallucinate the entire multiyear saga between the school and the tribes?
            Sort of. But it was not due to the term "Sioux" being derogatory or offensive. It had to do with the school using Native American imagery/logos coupled with using the nickname for its sports team. Also, the saga was not really between the school and the tribes, but that is best served for another topic/thread.
            North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

You’re simply wrong. It was well documented during the UND nickname dispute that “Sioux” was a derogatory term applied by their enemies. As I recall it means “snake” or something similar.
              As I stated in my post, I am aware of the historical origins of the term (I also stated the name of the tribe that developed the term in my prior posts). That being said, in today's society, I'm not aware of any significant faction who find the name Sioux, as it pertains to the group of people, to be offensive. It is similar to Scandinavian. As an example, Scandinavian is to Norwegian as Sioux is to Lakota.

Also, I'm done playing my role in hijacking this thread. My relevant comment still remains that the Cleveland baseball team is idiotic for continuing to use a nickname they find unacceptable. If you disagree with that, let's discuss it here. If you want to continue learning about the nuances between the Indians nickname and the Sioux nickname, start up another thread and we can continue it in there.
              North Dakota

Comment

Sort of. But it was not due to the term "Sioux" being derogatory or offensive. It had to do with the school using Native American imagery/logos coupled with using the nickname for its sports team. Also, the saga was not really between the school and the tribes, but that is best served for another topic/thread.
                holy sh-t that’s some serious denial.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

To be fair.

The Sioux logo stays because it is forking amazing.
                  Side note: nice to see the new cocaine 'cat used for the '91 title.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

Side note: nice to see the new cocaine 'cat used for the '91 title.
                    I used my favorite logo for each school or, as with Michigan, the least offensive. In some cases (BG) I used logos which were easier to guess.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• I’m surprised the current skating goldy is preferred to the old one. To each their own.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Negro Leagues now officially classified as major leagues.

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/sta...773858304?s=21
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Given that they probably had better players than most of MLB, it only makes sense. Then again, they might be insulted to be affiliated with such lousy talent.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                            Negro Leagues now officially classified as major leagues.

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/sta...773858304?s=21
                            What does this actually officially mean? Are NeL records and stats now fully integrated (no pun intended) into overall MLB records?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

What does this actually officially mean? Are NeL records and stats now fully integrated (no pun intended) into overall MLB records?
                              Pretty much. Players who played in both will have their stats changed.

Here’s an article on it. Willie Mays will have additional hits added to his career total. This is the first major league that would likely make a big impact on records since most of the other major leagues only lasted for a year or two.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2020/1...ues-officially
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• MLB plans to go full steam ahead in 2021, without mandating the vaccine for anyone.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X