This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    MLB being unable to last a week is going to be what finally makes college Presidents Nope right out of college football for fall. And once football goes, well college athletics might be back by 2021-22
    Exactly what I was thinking. It's even harder for college sports, because the athletes can't stay in a bubble like pro athletes. College players also have to go class. At least supposedly... :-) And there are so many more ways for college players to intermingle with others than pro players (because they are being paid for disciplined isolation).

Depending on how this plays out -- and we still have to give it a few more days to see the dominoes and ripples of the Marlins' situation -- college sports is a total goner.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      First and foremost they have to actually be serious about protocols. Players and coaches need to wear masks, and wear them properly, and only those in the lineup should be allowed in the dugout, the rest should be spaced apart in the stands.
      I was quite surprised when I watched the Yankees game on Saturday how few people wore masks.

As a racing fan, all those series -- NASCAR, IMSA, F1 -- had everyone, all the time, wearing masks, except those with helmets on, but that's good enough. All the time no matter what they were doing or where they were. All. The. Time.

So, it was quite a shock to see everyone, but the coaches, not wearing masks in the dugout. And then, so many of them wearing them wrong (the nose not covered). Good chance, they are now paying for this.

And I wonder if this changes the protocols in other sports (originally the NHL said coaches did not have to wear masks on the bench).

If you want to keep your sport going, you have to be ultra strict. Formula 1 has run three races so far, everyone gets tested every four days, and no one within the series has tested positive (there were two positive cases in Hungary, but they were local support staff). And the strictness of their protection prevents things from spreading.
      Russell Jaslow

Comment

• I have a hard time thinking the season will last a month. It was foolishness to begin with.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          I have a hard time thinking the season will last a month. It was foolishness to begin with.
          And wait for the contact sports, like hockey and football, try to start things up.

Individual sports are a bit easier to pull this off and be successful at it. And I know soccer has started in Europe, but the way this country is, we can't contain it anywhere, so team sports is so hard to keep going.
          Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
            MLB being unable to last a week is going to be what finally makes college Presidents Nope right out of college football for fall. And once football goes, well college athletics might be back by 2021-22
            If college football doesnt exist in alabama, Mississippi and Georgia watch out , Riots will happen

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• From NBC Sports:

Red Sox starter Eduardo Rodríguez is believed to be dealing with myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle), WEEI’s Rob Bradford reported on Friday. Rodríguez tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this month. Myocarditis has been a documented symptom of COVID-19, according to the National Institutes of Health. Along with the risk of death, people who get COVID-19 are at risk for a wide range of debilitating health outcomes. Some have needed amputations, some have developed blood clots, some have suffered brain damage. Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman got COVID-19 and was on the lighter end of the outcomes spectrum, but his wife said, “This virus hit him like a ton of bricks.” When he spiked a 104.5 fever, Freeman prayed, “Please don’t take me.”

Martinez is one of a not-insignificant amount of players and coaches who are at varying degrees of increased risk to the coronavirus. Dodgers closer Kenley Jansen, for example, also has a heart condition. David Dahl had his spleen removed. Carlos Carrasco had leukemia. Cubs teammates Jon Lester and Anthony Rizzo are cancer survivors. This is without mentioning the at-risk clubhouse attendants, bus/Uber drivers, food delivery people, hotel concierges, as well as everyone’s families and other people with whom they may live or have close contact.

Phillies shortstop Didi Gregorius has a chronic kidney disorder.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

I was quite surprised when I watched the Yankees game on Saturday how few people wore masks.

As a racing fan, all those series -- NASCAR, IMSA, F1 -- had everyone, all the time, wearing masks, except those with helmets on, but that's good enough. All the time no matter what they were doing or where they were. All. The. Time.

So, it was quite a shock to see everyone, but the coaches, not wearing masks in the dugout. And then, so many of them wearing them wrong (the nose not covered). Good chance, they are now paying for this.

And I wonder if this changes the protocols in other sports (originally the NHL said coaches did not have to wear masks on the bench).

If you want to keep your sport going, you have to be ultra strict. Formula 1 has run three races so far, everyone gets tested every four days, and no one within the series has tested positive (there were two positive cases in Hungary, but they were local support staff). And the strictness of their protection prevents things from spreading.
                I believe the auto-racing leagues (at least NASCAR does) all have fines for non-compliance. MLB has rules about not playing if you test positive or experience symptoms, but I don't believe there are any repercussions for not following mask or distancing protocols on the field.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• If MLB took the steps of putting their players in a bubble like the NBA and NHL, they may have had a better chance. Of course, the bubble is 100%, especially when players are sneaking out, but I think the idea of a bubble gives them a better chance at least.

oh well. Opening Day was fun. Then Saturday and Sunday were preawful so maybe calling it a season isn’t the worst idea. Sigh.

Comment

• Citizens Bank staffer tests positive, Yankees leaving Philly and going back to the Bronx refusing to play tonight.

Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      If MLB took the steps of putting their players in a bubble like the NBA and NHL, they may have had a better chance. Of course, the bubble is 100%, especially when players are sneaking out, but I think the idea of a bubble gives them a better chance at least.

oh well. Opening Day was fun. Then Saturday and Sunday were preawful so maybe calling it a season isn’t the worst idea. Sigh.
                      When the two soccer leagues, MLS and NWSL, look more organized and capable than MLB that’s definitely a bad sign.

Not a knock to MLS and NWSL, I’m a huge fan of both, I just think the league with a 100 year head start and 10x the revenue would do better.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Rosenthal reporting that the Nationals players took a vote in thr clubhouse and will refuse to fly to Miami and play the Marlins for this weekends scheduled series.

MLB, and Manfred, have final say...
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Rosenthal with some more breaking news.

MLB looking at quarantining Phillies and Marlins for an undermined time. Yankees will go to Baltimore and play the Orioles. Blue Jays will go to Philly as planned and play the Phils this weekend. Not sure if the Nats will host the Marlins, or forfeit the games over the weekend.

Phillies and Marlins will maybe make up the games with double headers, but MLB admits it knew teams could have unbalanced games at the end of the season.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Good god, what will it take for them to admit they made a mistake and stop this idiocy? Don't they realize that there is nothing preventing this from recurring with other teams. What, do they wait until 8 teams are infected? 16?

How about playoff qualification is completing the season without infection? Now that's what I call sudden death.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• The entire Toronto/Philly series has now been postponed after a Phillies coach and club house attendant tested positive.

Nats-Jays may turn into a seven game series, since Washington was supposed to play Miami this weekend.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                The entire Toronto/Philly series has now been postponed after a Phillies coach and club house attendant tested positive.

Nats-Jays may turn into a seven game series, since Washington was supposed to play Miami this weekend.
                                And the NFL keeps saying they don't see any issue playing a full 16-game season...
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X