Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2020: We'll Play Ball, I Guess.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The ASG jerseys were just as awful on the field as they were in the pictures. Hopefully that was a one year experiment.

    But the player mic provided some fun:

    https://twitter.com/majorleaguegifs/...351110148?s=21

    At the beginning of the game they made the argument that what Ohtani is doing right now is more impressive than what Ruth did, because after Ruth went to the Yankees he started to give up pitching and mostly played outfield. In an absolute sense that’s true, but it’s missing the context that Ruth didn’t even have the option to do what Ohtani is doing. I guarantee if Ruth could have been a DH back then he would’ve tried a similar arrangement. Given the advances in the game, what Ohtani is doing is more impressive, but he’s also not out in the field five days a week and then on the mound the next.

    The MVP race will be interesting. Vlad could end up with the triple crown and still lose to Ohtani if he stays consistent to his first half performance.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

    Comment


    • Unreal to think about a triple crown winner not being a shoo-in.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

      Comment


      • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Unreal to think about a triple crown winner not being a shoo-in.
        Ted Williams won the Triple Crown and not the MVP.

        Twice.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

        Comment


        • The highlight of the evening for me was when Buck asked a mic'd up Kris Bryant whether he thought the Cubs would suck less in the second half. Bryant gave the standard jock response, but we all know the answer is "no."

          And those uniforms were terrible. Can't believe they're going to sell enough of them to cover their costs.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
            And those uniforms were terrible. Can't believe they're going to sell enough of them to cover their costs.
            I had watched every all star game since 1975. I skipped last night. They were that bad.

            The great tradition of the game is everyone in their duds. It's what makes it beautiful.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              The ASG jerseys were just as awful on the field as they were in the pictures. Hopefully that was a one year experiment.

              But the player mic provided some fun:

              https://twitter.com/majorleaguegifs/...351110148?s=21

              At the beginning of the game they made the argument that what Ohtani is doing right now is more impressive than what Ruth did, because after Ruth went to the Yankees he started to give up pitching and mostly played outfield. In an absolute sense that’s true, but it’s missing the context that Ruth didn’t even have the option to do what Ohtani is doing. I guarantee if Ruth could have been a DH back then he would’ve tried a similar arrangement. Given the advances in the game, what Ohtani is doing is more impressive, but he’s also not out in the field five days a week and then on the mound the next.

              The MVP race will be interesting. Vlad could end up with the triple crown and still lose to Ohtani if he stays consistent to his first half performance.
              Did I just hear "God Damn Fuck Fish (this?)". LOL
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

              Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

              Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

              Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                Ted Williams won the Triple Crown and not the MVP.

                Twice.
                Right, that's still insane.

                Edit: Actually....
                Since 1920 when Major League Baseball began recording RBI as an official statistic, there have been nine players who've won the Triple Crown. Of those 11 total wns, Ted Williams (1947, 1942), Lou Gehrig (1934) and Chuck Klein (1933) did not win the MVP of their respective leagues in the same year.
                That's significantly more than I expected.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                Comment


                • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

                  Right, that's still insane.

                  Edit: Actually....


                  That's significantly more than I expected.
                  Man, Ted lost out on a lot he should’ve had. Then add in the war years and you can argue he could’ve/should’ve had 8/10 of the 40’s if he didn’t need to go into the service.

                  1941: Williams hits .406, but DiMaggio’s 56 game hit streak gives him the award.

                  1942: Williams triple crown, but Joe Gordon wins, for some reason.
                  Played roughly the same amount of games, Williams had 63 more runs, 13 more hits, 18 more homers (double Gordon’s), 34 more RBIs, 45 more walks, 34 points higher BA, and 90 points higher OBP. All with 16 less at bats. This one baffles me. The only thing Gordon beat him at that year was 9 more stolen bases and a WS ring.

                  1947: DiMaggio beats Williams 202 to 201 in voting. Williams would’ve won but he was left off one ballot entirely.

                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

                  1966, 1986, 2007

                  Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

                  Comment


                  • The press hated Williams because he told them exactly what he thought of them, like Yaz, Belle, and Bonds. That may have had something to do with it.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      The press hated Williams because he told them exactly what he thought of them, like Yaz, Belle, and Bonds. That may have had something to do with it.
                      Ya think?

                      Only Ty Cobb comes to mind for who the press reportedly liked less.
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

                      North Dakota Hockey:

                      Comment


                      • I wonder if exposure was also a factor. Say the voter in Chicago only sees Williams in a series where he goes 2 for 14. That guy doesn't have a sense of what Williams is doing day in/day out. And then he sees Gordon go 10 for 15 over a different 3-game series.

                        That was absolutely a product of the time.
                        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

                        Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

                        Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

                        Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

                        Comment


                        • Twins are shopping Buxton. How broken is he?
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Twins are shopping Buxton. How broken is he?
                            He's not broken. He just can't avoid injury. So you rarely/never get a full season.
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

                            Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

                            Comment


                            • They've put forth a low-ball offer with room for incentives for playing time. If he rejects it they'll look to trade instead of letting him hit free agency. He would get more than what is offered in free agency.
                              the state of hockey is good

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

                                He's not broken. He just can't avoid injury. So you rarely/never get a full season.
                                Travis d'Arnaud Disease. Fra-gee-lee.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X