Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2020: We'll Play Ball, I Guess.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by unofan View Post

    There's an MLB caliber stadium sitting empty in Omaha. Just saying.
    That would probably increase travel more than they want. That’s further west than all the central division teams.

    Per a Blue Jays source, in order of most likely, the options are now:
    Baltimore
    Travel team
    Buffalo
    Dunedin
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

    Comment


    • Originally posted by unofan View Post

      There's an MLB caliber stadium sitting empty in Omaha. Just saying.
      Have they ever put in a bid for a team? I'd think they could carve a huge swath of the midwest for a fanbase. Or is that the problem -- the Cardinal Way is defended by an army of lawyers?
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

        Have they ever put in a bid for a team? I'd think they could carve a huge swath of the midwest for a fanbase. Or is that the problem -- the Cardinal Way is defended by an army of lawyers?
        That stadium (which is beautiful and should be on every baseball fan's bucket list) wouldn't work for regular mlb games, with fans. Way too small.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

          Have they ever put in a bid for a team? I'd think they could carve a huge swath of the midwest for a fanbase. Or is that the problem -- the Cardinal Way is defended by an army of lawyers?
          Too small for a full-time team (seats 25k-ish). And Omaha's too close to Kansas City and not big enough; metro area is about 1/2 the size of Kansas City metro, which is already one of the smaller market teams in MLB.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

            That would probably increase travel more than they want. That’s further west than all the central division teams.

            Per a Blue Jays source, in order of most likely, the options are now:
            Baltimore
            Travel team
            Buffalo
            Dunedin
            I agree that'd be the excuse for not doing it, but in reality it's not like they're in the Carolina League and bussing everywhere; a flight from New York to Buffalo isn't significantly more strenuous than a flight from New York to Omaha.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by unofan View Post
              And Omaha's too close to Kansas City
              Huh, I guess it is at that.

              I always assume western scale for everything past the Alleghenys, and assumed Omaha was 800 miles from nowhere.

              If somebody was going to emerge as the Prairie Oklahoma City, what would it be? Des Moines? I've heard (dunno if it's true) that Des Moines is actually partially civilized.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                Huh, I guess it is at that.

                I always assume western scale for everything past the Alleghenys, and assumed Omaha was 800 miles from nowhere.

                If somebody was going to emerge as the Prairie Oklahoma City, what would it be? Des Moines? I've heard (dunno if it's true) that Des Moines is actually partially civilized.
                To the extent it's not already Kansas City, it'd be Omaha. Omaha's closing in on the million mark for the entire metro area. Des Moines is at maybe 700k for its entire metro. After that, things shrink fast.

                You'd like Des Moines a helluva lot more than Omaha. But to support a top tier pro team, the population just isn't there. Maybe in 75 years when the northern suburbs of Des Moines merge with Ames, but in that time frame Omaha's western suburbs will have merged with Lincoln, so that doesn't really change the relative head count.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by unofan View Post

                  To the extent it's not already Kansas City, it'd be Omaha. Omaha's closing in on the million mark for the entire metro area. Des Moines is at maybe 700k for its entire metro. After that, things shrink fast.

                  You'd like Des Moines a helluva lot more than Omaha. But to support a top tier pro team, the population just isn't there. Maybe in 75 years when the northern suburbs of Des Moines merge with Ames, but in that time frame Omaha's western suburbs will have merged with Lincoln, so that doesn't really change the relative head count.
                  It won't take 75 years. At some point a house in NYC, LA, or SF will cost more than the lifetime earnings potential of a new college graduate and all those kids dropping off the tier 1 conveyor belt, now 100% remote workers, will start colonizing places that are affordable.

                  We'll get mini-NoVas all through the South and Midwest. And remember, it only takes an emigrant wave of a few million to overwhelm the locals and start rescuing those places from Dumbf-ckistan. It worked in WA, OR, NM, and VA. It can work in IA, KS, and NE.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                  Comment


                  • Opening Day.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                    Comment


                    • Apparently the Jays will be playing in Buffalo after all.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

                      1966, 1986, 2007

                      Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        Apparently the Jays will be playing in Buffalo after all.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIAXG_QcQNU
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                        Comment


                        • Sooooo the Rays came out swinging: https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/sta...32257076289536

                          Cornell '04, Stanford '06


                          KDR

                          Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

                          Test to see if I can add this.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                            Holy sh-t.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                            Comment


                            • How coincidental, Fox Sports Detroit, now
                              owned by Sinclair, doesn’t show the BLM recognition or anthem live. First ever Opening Day I can recall that happening.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

                              1966, 1986, 2007

                              Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                                Wow. From the top rope!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X