Project Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Was just asked to join the core team for a new $100 million install for the next four or so years. Utterly terrifying to be responsible for $20-30M. Largest project so far was in the range of $8M on a $25M project, but this is a different class of project altogether. Only a handful of these in the corp at any time considering it's about 5% of our entire capital spend in a year (obviously spread out over four years, so in the range of 1%/yr).

Echo Kepler's comments. You won't know until you try. WIsh you the best of luck in getting a new job and hope it works out. If it doesn't, there's a **** ton of jobs out there.
    Exactly. Plus, at the end of the day it's commerce. It means nothing. It's not a kid or a spouse or your college hockey team. It's just vapor.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I, too, am looking around (internally). Since my hospital is being absorbed by a larger system, our IT infrastructure is being consolidated. In the short/medium term, there will be no reductions (my god we're bare bones staffed anyway) and in fact I've applied for four of the new manager-level positions opening up in my new service line. I don't have particularly high hopes to get one, but interviewing for a position you're qualified for is never bad.

What does that have to do with project management? Well, these new roles would be about half personnel management and half project management. I do a ton of project management now, so I figured that wouldn't be a bad fit. My current job (technically a team lead position) will be sort of reduced in scope to more of a "lead analyst" position, which is good and bad. Good because that is what it should be, and what it is at every single similarly-sized organization in the country and it would come with no salary change (I'm already towards the lower end of my scale). But bad because I kind of like the PM work and I like punching above my weight class. We'll see I suppose.
      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Originally posted by Swansong View Post
        I, too, am looking around (internally). Since my hospital is being absorbed by a larger system, our IT infrastructure is being consolidated. In the short/medium term, there will be no reductions (my god we're bare bones staffed anyway) and in fact I've applied for four of the new manager-level positions opening up in my new service line. I don't have particularly high hopes to get one, but interviewing for a position you're qualified for is never bad.

What does that have to do with project management? Well, these new roles would be about half personnel management and half project management. I do a ton of project management now, so I figured that wouldn't be a bad fit. My current job (technically a team lead position) will be sort of reduced in scope to more of a "lead analyst" position, which is good and bad. Good because that is what it should be, and what it is at every single similarly-sized organization in the country and it would come with no salary change (I'm already towards the lower end of my scale). But bad because I kind of like the PM work and I like punching above my weight class. We'll see I suppose.
        Any updates on this one? Do you manage it well?
        We started to use microsoft 365 business voice sms recently for the different projects and i can see that we can deal with many issues much faster and more successfully than in the past. Maybe will be helpful for you too.
        Last edited by anygreen; 07-29-2022, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X