Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19: We Can Handle Slight Inconveniences. Part 8.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19: We Can Handle Slight Inconveniences. Part 8.

While it's not going away, the food industry is slowing down.

At my facility we would move an average of 250,000 cases per day pre-Covid. With the panic buying early in March, we saw that number rise to 400,000 cases. Now we're around 200,000 and probably going to fall into the 190/180k range before long. This is why I went from a 54 hour work week to sub-40 hours now.

Think about it. Many people are watching what they buy because they are likely working with a budget where they weren't before. And those that were on a budget before need to tighten up even more now.

While it won't close completely, the food supply chain is not immune to the downturn either. And of course BIG INDUSTRY CONGLOMERATE isn't going to leave profit on the table.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Smithfield et al shutdown their plants due to COVID-19 running through their plant. While they’ll comply with the order, they’ll just as quickly tell the sick people to stay home. Regardless of whether this virus can be transmitted through food, management will act with the idea that they’re avoiding lawsuits and creating public goodwill. The plant managers and owners have made their desires known, they’d rather be closed right now. Continued operation is risky for them, and likely sacrifice short-term profit for long-term viability.
      If it's more profitable to run and kill people, they'll do it. They didn't shut down because it was running through their plant. They shut down because the news started covering it and people started to question it. Bad press was the only reason they closed.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        US is about 4% of the World's population and has about 25% of the total Covid deaths. GOOD ****ING JOB AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Because no one tests with big beautiful tests like we do. We have the most tests and test the best!

Trump's problem - which is nothing new - is he couldn't care less about running the country. He wants to be popular and thinks catering to orcs will get him there. He and his minions have convinced him that even if he did the right thing - whatever the subject - that he'll never get any credit from anyone outside his base.

It's an ignorant and sophomoric way of thinking but he's never going to change. Previous administrations have proven you can win the approval of a measurable % of your opponents when you lead, when you demonstrate accountability, and that everything you do doesn't have 1 or 2 intentions: line the pockets of the 1% and reverse everything Obama did.

He's a manchild and I am afraid that the U.S. will continue to flounder until adults are allowed access again to the control tower.

Comment

It looks like the cases in my native Minnesota are creeping up. Is it because of an increase in testing capacity? I thought I read somewhere that MN was going to ramp up testing shortly with a partnership between the U and Mayo Clinic, something like 20,000 tests per day.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            It's at the point I almost wish they'd catch it and infect their wife, or mother, or grandfather, and then have to watch them die. Then see how they feel.
            You are much kinder than I am. I am long past the point where I almost wish the "open up the economy" idiots would catch it. I am openly rooting for them to catch it. And to infect family with it. I want Pence to catch it. I want the plant manager in Minnesota who told me 160,000 people die from the flu and who complained about one of my members using the coronavirus leave time to care for a child to catch it. The only thing that brings me back to having compassion is knowing if the idiots get it, then some dedicated nurse or doctor or hospital custodian who goes to work without sufficient PPE because the actually care about their neighbor might get it too, and that is unacceptable.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
              It looks like the cases in my native Minnesota are creeping up. Is it because of an increase in testing capacity? I thought I read somewhere that MN was going to ramp up testing shortly with a partnership between the U and Mayo Clinic, something like 20,000 tests per day.
              I think it’s definitely the testing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                I think it’s definitely the testing.
                MN does have one of the lowest test rates so far. So as they ramp up I'd assume greater numbers.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Des Plaines, IL Population 58959*

* US Census Bureau 2018 estimate
                  2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                  2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                  2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                  2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                  2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                  2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                  2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                  Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                  1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Looks like MN has finally caught fire. We're in exponential growth territory.

Although, yesterday, Hennepin and Ramsey Counties (Minneapolis and St. Paul) had a combined 20 new cases.

County (population): New cases yesterday
                    Hennepin (1.25M): 0
                    Ramsey (541k): 20
                    Nobles (22k): 78
                    Anoka (347k): 18
                    Stearns (157k): 31
                    Kandiyohi (43k): 25
                    Clay (63k): 18

It's worth Noting that Nobles County has the meat packing plant in Worthington. Stearns is where St. Cloud is based. Anoka (similar to Stearns, was Michelle Bachman's former district). Kandiyohi (large Jennie-O turkey plants).

That said, these are population centers. Though, oddly, St. Louis (200k) at 2, and Olmstead (153k) at 5 aren't seeing jumps. The cases per 10k are clustered mostly around Iowa and the Dakotas. Nobles County has one of the highest cases/10k in the nation.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                      Des Plaines, IL Population 58959*

* US Census Bureau 2018 estimate
                      This is not a complaint, nor a request to change - just a statement. These posts somehow don't have the emotional impact on me that it seems they should. I think it's probably because I've barely heard of any of these mid-range cities, so thinking about wiping a city that I've never heard of just doesn't bring the gut punch that it seems it should. To me, it doesn't seem any different than if we were listing cities of these same sizes in China or France or South Africa. Sad, sure, just not personally emotionally impactful.

On the other hand, I just found out that my wife's cousin's father in law (who I've never met) died from it yesterday - that single death is more of a gut punch to me. Maybe I'm just weird.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                        This is not a complaint, nor a request to change - just a statement. These posts somehow don't have the emotional impact on me that it seems they should. I think it's probably because I've barely heard of any of these mid-range cities, so thinking about wiping a city that I've never heard of just doesn't bring the gut punch that it seems it should. To me, it doesn't seem any different than if we were listing cities of these same sizes in China or France or South Africa. Sad, sure, just not personally emotionally impactful.

On the other hand, I just found out that my wife's cousin's father in law (who I've never met) died from it yesterday - that single death is more of a gut punch to me. Maybe I'm just weird.
                        No, you are not weird. It becomes personal when it affects someone you know. The first report of someone in our upstate NY area having coronavirus was on Tuesday or Wednesday, March 14 or 15. On the 17th, I was told by a student who was in my office for about an hour on the 16th, that she had 3 degrees of separation from that person and was self-quarantining. In fact, two other staff members of the college had direct contact with that first reported case in our area.

On April 4th(!) one of my departmental colleagues informed us that a friend from her church had just passed from Covid. He was one of the first ones from that county.

Just three days ago, another faculty member reported that a former student she had in class had died, along with her unborn child.

(Sarasota, FL, Population 57738, went in the past 24 hours, as did two other Florida cities)
                        Last edited by UCBadger; 04-29-2020, 12:42 PM.
                        2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                        2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                        2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                        2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                        2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                        2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                        2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                        Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                        1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                          You are much kinder than I am. I am long past the point where I almost wish the "open up the economy" idiots would catch it. I am openly rooting for them to catch it. And to infect family with it. I want Pence to catch it. I want the plant manager in Minnesota who told me 160,000 people die from the flu and who complained about one of my members using the coronavirus leave time to care for a child to catch it. The only thing that brings me back to having compassion is knowing if the idiots get it, then some dedicated nurse or doctor or hospital custodian who goes to work without sufficient PPE because the actually care about their neighbor might get it too, and that is unacceptable.
                          No, I'm fine with them, the anonymous idiots out there.

I mean, people on this board who I've interacted with, some I've met in person, and generally seem like ok folk. But after the experience with the D1 thread, I'm at the point now where the only thing that might actually get through to these idiots is for someone they love to catch this and die. And even they might not be enough. They need to be the reason their loved one caught it.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            I'm at the point now where the only thing that might actually get through to these idiots is for someone they love to catch this and die. And even they might not be enough. They need to be the reason their loved one caught it.
                            Even then it will be the liberals' fault. These guys are beyond help. They will literally go to their graves with that poison frothing in their brains like a Chlorox injection.

Racists and sexists and Nazis and Republicans never see the light or grow out of it. They die off. Finite lifespan is how humanity improves.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 04-29-2020, 01:07 PM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Those were some of the most depressing shows I have ever watched. I was affected for weeks after watching them, how little we matter.

I think the Hoover dam and Mount Rushmore go 10k-20k years.
                              Originally that show was just a one time documentary. It got such amazing ratings, they green lighted a series. It was on the History Channel BTW. Don’t know if anyone mentioned that.

I found them so fascinating, they didn’t depress me.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                                I found them so fascinating, they didn’t depress me.
                                It was both, for me. EMMV.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X