Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had a friend from Seattle who had been to more than 200 pro sports events by the time he graduated high school. He hated Ticketmaster so much that he……got a job there. He literally wanted to see if there was any possible way to beat the system. After a year, he concluded that there wasn’t, even with inside info, so he gave up and went into aerospace instead.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

I just laid out a plan to reduce costs by 30%.

The market is artificially manipulated.
      No you didn't. You speculated that 30% of the people who bought tickets have zero interest in attending the show, and you suggested that they shouldn't be allowed to buy tickets. I think that's a hilarious argument.

After the Springsteen tickets came out and he caught some heat in the press about the prices, I heard a radio show where listeners were invited to call in and comment on the ticket sales and prices. Jeebus, it was a hour of literally the same biatch. "I've been a Springsteen fan since the '70's. I've been to a hundred and fifty of his concerts. It's BS that ticketmaster doesn't let us "real" Springsteen fans in to buy tickets before all of these people who have no interest at all in his music. Blah, blah, blah."

Someone who has zero interest in Taylor Swift music (that would be me) has exactly the same right as dx and the rest of the middle school girl crowd (or their daddies) to buy those tickets.

The prices are high for two reasons, and only two reasons. First, there is pent-up demand for concerts after the pandemic and so people are willing to pay more. Second, people are willing to buy tickets and speculate that they will go up in value, or that they'll be able to sell them for more than they paid for them. They are probably not wrong.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

b) yes, and it's his usual schtick of dog-eat-dog capitalism where the rich get to trample everyone else and hovey gets to just blissfully ignore it because he's got his.
        Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Second, people are willing to buy tickets and speculate that they will go up in value, or that they'll be able to sell them for more than they paid for them. They are probably not wrong.
        shocking...

Comment

• Technology destroyed the music industry (Napster, anyone?). Thus, concerts have become the big money sink. Pretty much why I don't like to go to concerts anymore but it was a big part of my youth. Every time I do go to a concert with me and my significant other it's a 500 dollar drop usually. Pretty much the same reason I hate live sports. Too expensive. Hell, even the TV version is getting overpriced.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• I guess I get lucky I see shows all the time and rarely is the price gouged. But then I'm willing to walk away if the price sucks like Springsteen.

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              I guess I get lucky I see shows all the time and rarely is the price gouged. But then I'm willing to walk away if the price sucks like Springsteen.
              Absolutely. I'd love to go back to the Masters again. I'm just not willing to pay the price. I'd love to go to a Super Bowl once. Same thing.

But I don't begrudge people who are willing to pay the price, or the person selling the tickets.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                I guess I get lucky I see shows all the time and rarely is the price gouged. But then I'm willing to walk away if the price sucks like Springsteen.
                I honestly cant remember if any show I have ever seen have been through Ticketmaster. Its always been straight through the venue or some other smaller Ticketmaster type service that at least on the surface hasn't appeared to be an absolute **** show (never had any problems or super crazy fees; but I have also never had to worry about transfer or sell back or anything). Sounds like I have dodged a bullet.

Comment

• I think the problem is that re-selling tickets is now a business rather than a convenient option for people when plans change.

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                    I think the problem is that re-selling tickets is now a business rather than a convenient option for people when plans change.
                    Tickets have gone pure capitalism. And there is nothing anyone can really do about it. It fits right in with Twitter and everything else that Information Technology has destroyed. Law, and morals have not kept up with Technology.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

No you didn't. You speculated that 30% of the people who bought tickets have zero interest in attending the show, and you suggested that they shouldn't be allowed to buy tickets. I think that's a hilarious argument.

After the Springsteen tickets came out and he caught some heat in the press about the prices, I heard a radio show where listeners were invited to call in and comment on the ticket sales and prices. Jeebus, it was a hour of literally the same biatch. "I've been a Springsteen fan since the '70's. I've been to a hundred and fifty of his concerts. It's BS that ticketmaster doesn't let us "real" Springsteen fans in to buy tickets before all of these people who have no interest at all in his music. Blah, blah, blah."

Someone who has zero interest in Taylor Swift music (that would be me) has exactly the same right as dx and the rest of the middle school girl crowd (or their daddies) to buy those tickets.

The prices are high for two reasons, and only two reasons. First, there is pent-up demand for concerts after the pandemic and so people are willing to pay more. Second, people are willing to buy tickets and speculate that they will go up in value, or that they'll be able to sell them for more than they paid for them. They are probably not wrong.
                      No. I stated that 30% of the building is sold to "corporate" accounts. Those accounts get 1st crack at the tickets, even before presales and other offerings to the general public. These accounts buy tickets to EVERY event that a building hosts. You can bet that any company who owns naming rights has a significant amount of tickets allocated to them. You also have the presenting sponsors of the building's main tenants (whomever that may be).

Since these are totally corporate accounts the prices are artificially inflated (like Business class flights, or the trendy, downtown steakhouse where every other meal is placed on a corporate card).
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• It’s not even corporate accounts. My family has kraken season tickets and they get first right of refusal for every event at climate pledge.

maybe that’s normal ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          It’s not even corporate accounts. My family has kraken season tickets and they get first right of refusal for every event at climate pledge.

maybe that’s normal ?
                          It sounds like seat licenses or whatever they were calling them for NFL stadiums where you pretty much "owned" the seat at the arena overall, versus for a particular sport. All for the cheap cost of like $10K or $15K.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• It's a big deal to be rich enough to attend BIG events. That's why small colleges, high schools, and smaller music venues are the way to go.

Comment

It’s not even corporate accounts. My family has kraken season tickets and they get first right of refusal for every event at climate pledge.

maybe that’s normal ?
                              When I had season tickets for the Wild, we used to get first crack at tickets for other events in the arena. But we have Vikings season tickets, and seat licenses, and I don't think I've ever received notice of a chance to buy concert seats early.

Comment

maybe that’s normal ?
                                It's a step before it's offered to individual ticket holders. These accounts often buy Suites and Luxury areas along with a large chunk of regular tickets. These accounts could easily be 50+ tickets/night for each individual account. That's why the add up. Buildings could have 20-30 of these accounts easily.

This is the exact reason why Leafs games at the ACC have the rep that they do.
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X