This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    As someone who occasionally drives for Door Dash, it's gotten pathetic. They're offering a $10/hour option, but it means you get ****ty orders for $3.25 with no tip. You won't see good orders unless your acceptance rate is over 50%.

​And I'm not likely to go back out for them unless it's absolutely necessary.
    Being an employee would likely forfeit your ability to refuse that $3.25 order.

Just saying...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
      As someone who occasionally drives for Door Dash, it's gotten pathetic. They're offering a $10/hour option, but it means you get ****ty orders for $3.25 with no tip. You won't see good orders unless your acceptance rate is over 50%.

​And I'm not likely to go back out for them unless it's absolutely necessary.
      Do they pay you mileage on top of the $10 an hour?

I kind of doubt there are many people who would be better off as employees than independent contractors. Isn’t the whole point having the flexibility?
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

We'll have to see what the regulations say.

If the regulations say that a person can opt to be an independent contractor, like the trucking companies do, then this regulation will be a big nothingburger because Lyft and the others will just have contracts with the drivers in which the drivers "opt" to be independent contractors.

On the other hand, if the regulation wants to have real teeth and says that it doesn't matter what the parties supposedly agreed to, that the Department of Labor will look at whether the other factors have been met (economic dependence, work mostly for that company, etc...), then it's really going to mess with the trucking industry and other businesses where the workers actually have a real choice, and many choose to be independent contractors. The reason is that businesses, like trucking companies, won't be able to take the risk.
        Sorry, i'm confused here. The trucking companies won't be able to take what risk? Hire drivers as employees? Isn't it kind of necessary to have truck drivers in the trucking industry? Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying here?
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Sorry, i'm confused here. The trucking companies won't be able to take what risk? Hire drivers as employees? Isn't it kind of necessary to have truck drivers in the trucking industry? Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying here?
          What I'm saying is this.

If the regulation lets the system stay where the trucker and the trucking company can agree whether the trucker will be an employee or an independent contractor, then basically the new regulation changes nothing.

I personally think that such a system would be the best system, and I think Handy agrees with that, although I'll let him speak for himself. If the trucker wants the flexibility that comes with being an independent contractor, then I think that should be an option available.

However, if the regulation says that it doesn't matter what the trucking company and trucker may "agree" to, the DOL is going to look at the circumstances and determine whether the trucker is an employee or independent contractor, and going to use things like economic dependence, frequency of times the trucker drives for the company, and things like that, then trucking companies are just going to decide that all truckers are going to have to be employees. They won't be able to risk classifying someone as an independent contractor (even if the trucker wants to be so classified) because the consequences are too great if the DOL decides otherwise. That will be bad, because I think there are truckers out there who own their own trucks and want to remain independent contractors.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

We'll have to see what the regulations say.

If the regulations say that a person can opt to be an independent contractor, like the trucking companies do, then this regulation will be a big nothingburger because Lyft and the others will just have contracts with the drivers in which the drivers "opt" to be independent contractors.

On the other hand, if the regulation wants to have real teeth and says that it doesn't matter what the parties supposedly agreed to, that the Department of Labor will look at whether the other factors have been met (economic dependence, work mostly for that company, etc...), then it's really going to mess with the trucking industry and other businesses where the workers actually have a real choice, and many choose to be independent contractors. The reason is that businesses, like trucking companies, won't be able to take the risk.
            Which is why they wont do that. That is too big a step for the people who are in charge. They are big on walking before they run. Not to mention the outrage by the truckers would likely lead to a slow down.

It will be interesting to watch...but none of these companies have earned the benefit of the doubt. To be fair though originally these types of jobs were not supposed to be mainline forms of employment, they were side hustles like bartending is for me. But that doesn't mean the workers dont deserve basic protections.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

What I'm saying is this.

If the regulation lets the system stay where the trucker and the trucking company can agree whether the trucker will be an employee or an independent contractor, then basically the new regulation changes nothing.

I personally think that such a system would be the best system, and I think Handy agrees with that, although I'll let him speak for himself. If the trucker wants the flexibility that comes with being an independent contractor, then I think that should be an option available.

However, if the regulation says that it doesn't matter what the trucking company and trucker may "agree" to, the DOL is going to look at the circumstances and determine whether the trucker is an employee or independent contractor, and going to use things like economic dependence, frequency of times the trucker drives for the company, and things like that, then trucking companies are just going to decide that all truckers are going to have to be employees. They won't be able to risk classifying someone as an independent contractor (even if the trucker wants to be so classified) because the consequences are too great if the DOL decides otherwise. That will be bad, because I think there are truckers out there who own their own trucks and want to remain independent contractors.
              Yes I agree with what you are saying. I believe in choice. DOL should not force drivers to be full employees if they dont want to be. If someone wants to be a 1099 and farm themselves out to multiple companies (like truck drivers tend to) they should be allowed to. If someone wants to be exclusive and would be willing to sacrifice a bit of freedom for a steady job they should have that choice as well.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Things are fine, Liz!

https://twitter.com/camillahmturner/...CGcpvzV4LdC9QQ

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

Being an employee would likely forfeit your ability to refuse that $3.25 order.

Just saying...
                  Pretty much. It's why I'm choosing not to drive for any of these services unless absolutely necessary.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• How’s it going Liz?

https://twitter.com/populismupdates/...2-5zIPFZAZBAxA

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      I wonder at what point do some Tory MPs hit the point of “**** it” and vote for a no confidence motion?
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                        Populism... isn't... popular?
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Lenin, Stalin, Mao
                          Ho Chi Minh, Castro, Che
                          Sankara, Kim Il-Sung, Hoxha
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Kroger, the number two grocery chain in the US, makes an offer to buy Albertsons, the number four grocery chain in the US.

This.... doesn't seem ideal....

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1580895836980248576

if Rockefeller was alive today, guaranteed we all would be using Standard Oil products. His grave must be humming from his spinning.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Kwasi, we hardly knew ya. Great news if Jeremy Hunt is indeed the new chancellor.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• The Brit’s still have their humor

https://twitter.com/sebastianepayne/...5-Pxj8k5xhmveA

Comment

Working...
                                X