This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Duh...but there is no way to really know how they voted because there is no way to poll all of them.
    Right but my point is that just because union leadership endorsed them doesn't mean the members did.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Im a Union Steward trust me I know. ;^)

That said I would bet the majority did not go to Trump.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Im a Union Steward trust me I know. ;^)

That said I would bet the majority did not go to Trump.
        Yeah, I think “union people don’t care what their leaders think” trope is BS. Is it a perfect 100%? No, of course not.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          Yeah, I think “union people don’t care what their leaders think” trope is BS. Is it a perfect 100%? No, of course not.
          It's part of the union hate BS spewed by the Right. Unions were one of the most effective protections for working people against the predations of the owners, so obviously the Right has attempted to destroy them since day one. This is just more of that crap.

I suspect that while there was organized crime in unions it was also wildly overexaggerated in the rush by the Right to destroy this tool to fight the Plutes.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Even the worst unions are ten times better than no unions at all. It isn't even close...

I will never understand union workers that vote Republican. The GOP has always been openly hostile to all unions and advocates for the banning of collective bargaining. If you hate your union that much switch ****ing careers.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Part of the issue is people from outside the union world see random, singular events that make ABSOLUTELY ZERO SENSE and then apply that logic to unions as a whole.

Example: Several people I know over the years have commented on how the IBEW (Electrician's Union) works up at the McCormick Place convention center. Basically you need a Union Electrician to do anything related to electricity. This includes benign tasks like moving electrical cords on the floor so you don't trip and plugging ANYTHING into or out of an outlet. Many times people have to wait an extended period of time before a union guy comes over and does the literal two second task.

Stuff like that is what puts unions as a whole in a bad light. Those situations are blown up and made to go viral.
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• That is literally the scenario the electrician in my family uses about the union

Comment

• Old (not) joke: how many IATSE electricians does it take to change a light bulb?

5, and it takes them 4 hours. One guy to hold each leg of the ladder, one to change the bulb, and the minimum call is 4 hours.

A common practice to reduce operating cost was to hang 2 lights in each place where one is needed, then wait to call in the crew until enough bulbs had blown that they actually had 4 hours worth of work.
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                    Part of the issue is people from outside the union world see random, singular events that make ABSOLUTELY ZERO SENSE and then apply that logic to unions as a whole.

Example: Several people I know over the years have commented on how the IBEW (Electrician's Union) works up at the McCormick Place convention center. Basically you need a Union Electrician to do anything related to electricity. This includes benign tasks like moving electrical cords on the floor so you don't trip and plugging ANYTHING into or out of an outlet. Many times people have to wait an extended period of time before a union guy comes over and does the literal two second task.

Stuff like that is what puts unions as a whole in a bad light. Those situations are blown up and made to go viral.
                    There’s a myriad of reasons but they boil down to about two:

1. Liability protection. You plug something into an outlet, it goes haywire, you get electrocuted and decide to sue. Well, pretty easy defense of “we told you not to do it.”

2. Job protection. Contract says they handle anything in the building with electric and wiring so it’s not your ****ing job. And the problem, especially in our capitalist system, is if you give an inch, the bosses will absolutely take a mile. If they let people plug in their own cords without a change in the contract wording, then what else can be ignored? Yeah, it’s ridiculous, but don’t blame the union for protecting their jobs.

(A lot of this probably doesn’t make sense to people who have zero clue about working in a union and having a CBA and it’s work rules but, to someone like me who does, it makes perfect sense.)
                    Last edited by Jimjamesak; 09-16-2022, 01:14 PM.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      There’s a myriad of reasons but they boil down to about two:

1. Liability protection. You plug something into an outlet, it goes haywire, you get electrocuted and decide to sue. Well, pretty easy defense of “we told you not to do it.”

2. Job protection. Contract says they handle anything in the building with electric and wiring so it’s not your ****ing job. And the problem, especially in our capitalist system, is if you give an inch, the bosses will absolutely take a mile. If they let people plug in their own cords without a change in the contract wording, then what else can be ignored? Yeah, it’s ridiculous, but don’t blame the union for protecting their jobs.

(A lot of this probably doesn’t make sense to people who have zero clue about working in a union and having a CBA and it’s work rules but, to someone like me who does, it makes perfect sense.)
                      So how do you sell someone who isn't involved in a Union environment on the idea of needing someone to be paid $50+ per hour to plug in the power cord for the monitor that will be showing the booth's video?

Also, how do you quell the stories of the "bad apple" union employees who take advantage of everyone else being dependent on them? I'm talking about stuff like saying something that ticked off Jeff for whatever reason, so now your convention booth is now at the bottom of the TO DO list... Cause those are indeed a very real thing in this deal. Unfortunately it shows that the "Union Stereotype" does have it's origins in some truth...

That's more of where I was going with this.
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• An interesting historical example of how one nation liberated itself, somewhat, from its Plutes.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Why am I being silenced??!?!?! https://www.foxnews.com/us/dilbert-a...-77-newspapers

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                            Another ****ing idiot who doesn't understand the 1st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States and what it means.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                              *Successful millionaire cartoonist for 30+ years gets dropped by 100 newspapers, out of the thousands that still print his tired, has-been shtick*

"WHY AM I BEING CANCELED?!?!"

Someone tell Scott Adams to go listen to WOLD. They prefer the young sound, dude.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

*Successful millionaire cartoonist for 30+ years gets dropped by 100 newspapers, out of the thousands that still print his tired, has-been shtick*

"WHY AM I BEING CANCELED?!?!"

Someone tell Scott Adams to go listen to WOLD. They prefer the young sound, dude.
                                West Omaha Library Department?

I am so out of it...
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X