No announcement yet.

Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People are talking about inflation numbers, every time they go to the grocery store. If the supreme court hadn't ruled on Dobbs, midterms would be a slam dunk for the repubs.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
      People are talking about inflation numbers, every time they go to the grocery store. If the supreme court hadn't ruled on Dobbs, midterms would be a slam dunk for the repubs.
      Despite the fact that nothing the GOP ever does addresses inflation. They can't fix it either.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Despite the fact that nothing the GOP ever does addresses inflation. They can't fix it either.
        They don't want to fix it. Higher prices keep profits high for their donors and gives them a talking point for white rural, suburban, and Rust Belt voters.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

They don't want to fix it. Higher prices keep profits high for their donors and gives them a talking point for white rural, suburban, and Rust Belt voters.
          Then they should stop whining about it all the time.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
            People are talking about inflation numbers, every time they go to the grocery store. If the supreme court hadn't ruled on Dobbs, midterms would be a slam dunk for the repubs.
            Right but they did so who cares what could have been?
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

While that may be true in theory...I highly doubt all the people upset about Dodds are going to all of a sudden not vote or flip away from Dems because a bunch of greedy corporate train d-bags screwed up the supply line. This isn't 1976 people actually can see what is happening.

All things being equal I might agree with this but people aren't going to ignore their rights being taken away just because it took a few extra days to get their deliveries. Want proof, notice how no one is talking about the inflation numbers. Care to guess why? (the Senate Abortion Ban is the correct answer)
              For those voters who are going to vote based primarily upon a single issue, whatever that issue might be, sure things like the train strike will have no impact.

I don't even know whether a train strike will change the outcome of the election at all. What I do know is that if things seem to be going bad for people at the time they are ready to cast their vote, whether it's difficulty getting a job, high prices, no gasoline, or whatever, they tend to take it out on the incumbents. That's why Biden is doing every thing that he can, now right before the election, to soften the impact of things going poorly, and try to provide some cover for them by doing things like loan forgiveness.

Yeah, it's not 1976, but I think you overestimate how much people actually "see what is happening." If you went out on the street right now and started asking questions about a possible train strike, would you find 1 out of 10 that know anything about it? I'm not sure I'd bet the over on that.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I don't think women who care about their rights are going to give a **** either, but let's be serious, less than 5% of Americans are going to understand what is happening. The Echo Chamber will cover it like Biden is anally violating Little Orphan Annie (the white version) and business news will probably lie too because they want their windfalls under the GOP even if it blows the world up.

People are stupid, Americans are stupider, and American voters appear to be stupidest. They aren't going to figure out it has nothing to do with the Dems. You are talking about people who voted for Dump and cared about CRT.
                Look I think Americans are lazy and stupid as all get out (I am a teacher I see these things) but I also know most don't understand what inflation is or what effect it is having short of things cost a little more. They also pay $600 for secondhand IPhones and overpay for cars that get awful gas mileage while leaving every light on in their house all day and watering their lawn for hours on end so they can ignore high prices when they have to. The ones who are truly affected aren't voting Republican any time soon. They may not vote, but that is moot at this point.

If you leave out the 40% (split between both sides) who have no clue about everything that isn't a headline or breaking news on cable TV there is still enough people who can do "1+1=2" even if they sometimes act like they can't. The tactical mistake the GOP has made is they are thinking like you...they are forgetting the lesson The Olds gave them when it came to the ACA. People are self-centered and when you start taking away from them (not just The Others) they take it doubly bad. Hell, the Trumpers should remember it cause they all whined about it on 1/6! ("I dont get why they maced us after we broke into the Capitol and attacked them!!1!1!1!") Take away Health Care and Social Security from old people they aren't happy. Take away basic human and health care rights from women and they mobilize. They forgot the basic human axiom, people don't care if you screw others just leave them the **** alone.

Again all things being equal stuff like CRT and Drag Story Hour works because people always embrace something to fear. (especially Right Wingers...bunch of ****ing wussies!) If we were talking about the exact same makeup of the electorate this November as we were in the last election I would basically be working on a visa to Canada because all hell would be breaking loose right now with or without a train strike. We aren't and the people that are being added to the rolls are hyper focused on a few issues and they aren't ones that can be ignored for a basic boogeyman. The GOP has not updated their calculus, mainly because they can barely do basic math.

Ironically, American Selfishness is probably going to be what saves this country.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  Yeah, it's not 1976, but I think you overestimate how much people actually "see what is happening." If you went out on the street right now and started asking questions about a possible train strike, would you find 1 out of 10 that know anything about it? I'm not sure I'd bet the over on that.
                  Case in point - this is literally the first week I've been aware of a possible train worker strike.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

For those voters who are going to vote based primarily upon a single issue, whatever that issue might be, sure things like the train strike will have no impact.

I don't even know whether a train strike will change the outcome of the election at all. What I do know is that if things seem to be going bad for people at the time they are ready to cast their vote, whether it's difficulty getting a job, high prices, no gasoline, or whatever, they tend to take it out on the incumbents. That's why Biden is doing every thing that he can, now right before the election, to soften the impact of things going poorly, and try to provide some cover for them by doing things like loan forgiveness.

Actually your last sentence makes it even easier to argue about whether a train strike will have any effect at all. I agree no one will know...and likely wont know when it happens so it likely won't cause any headaches for people in charge.

What I mean by "people know what is going on" is that people aren't going to just say "what a bunch of lazy union workers going on strike" like the GOP is betting they will they know there is blame to go around even if they aren't informed. Usually the lazy union stuff works with teachers and nurses and nowadays it just doesnt get the same traction it used to. People will be annoyed with supply issues, but we have been having those for years now. Hasnt stopped people from remodeling their house, buying expensive toys or having their groceries/amazon packages delivered. They will whine like babies and knuckle under and deal with the delays because the alternative is they might have to actually do something productive for once.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Case in point - this is literally the first week I've been aware of a possible train worker strike.
                      NY Pitchbot: How Americans lack of knowledge about the train union going on strike is bad news for Biden
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Ironically, American Selfishness is probably going to be what saves this country.
                        I hope so, since it's a renewable.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

OTOH, if you had a train strike, you'd hear about it. A lot. The media is jerking themselves off on just the possibility of a crisis.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I havent had a chance to get the source, but apparently Biden and some conservative legislature types are pushing congress to push an emergency bill through to keep the railroads going (I was too young, but similar to the air traffic controller strike?) beyond the deadline?

In Chicago, Metra has four lines that are operated by BNSF and UP, and those four lines are parking their trains tonight at 9pm. Five other lines are operated by Metra (on dedicated Metra lines or shared rights they have priority on) themselves and are planning to operate as normal Friday. Two other lines are questionable as to their service status.

Amtrak has canceled all long distance trains as of today (ie: Midwest, West, and South). Northeast rail service (which does NOT share track rights with the freight guys) are unaffected as of now.

They get a weekend to figure sh*t out, but if it's not solved by Monday morning, it's gonna get to be butt puckering time.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Tentative agreement on the rail worker contract.

https://apnews.com/article/biden-eco...ign=position_1
                              Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco View Post
                                Tentative agreement on the rail worker contract.

https://apnews.com/article/biden-eco...ign=position_1

@cmclymer
                                Railroad unions: These are unfair working conditions, and we're gonna strike until they're fixed.

Political media: AMTRAK JOE LOVES TRAINS BUT CAN'T SEEM TO SOLVE THIS ONE. WHY IS BIDEN INEFFECTI--"

Pres. Biden: We've reached a deal. Strike averted.

Political media: ...dammit.
                                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X