This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    I don’t think the Dems are ****ed if there’s a strike. The unions have a pretty clear reason for striking and it’s just a matter of getting the message out.
    You saying you think they should be able to take time off for funerals and doctor appointments???

how European of you

Comment

I don’t think the Dems are ****ed if there’s a strike. The unions have a pretty clear reason for striking and it’s just a matter of getting the message out.
      If the workers used their points in a responsible way then they wouldn't have that problem!
      -my previous $hitty employer, probably.
      Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I don't think the concern has to do with whether people are pro or anti union. The concern, I suspect, is related to how it'll impact the daily lives of people in the country. If suddenly there are massive supply chain interruptions so people can't get prescriptions, food, gasoline, or (gasp) toilet paper, then in general people feel like things are going crappy, and those in power feel the brunt of it.
        Well, times are a changin’ among people and their feelings on unions, especially among the younger generations. It’ll be just as easy to blame greedy corporations as it was to blame the unions.

Also, this is likely the first of many strikes to happen in the transportation sector in the next year or two.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

, then in general people feel like things are going crappy, and those in power feel the brunt of it.
          This.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Well, times are a changin’ among people and their feelings on unions, especially among the younger generations. It’ll be just as easy to blame greedy corporations as it was to blame the unions.

Also, this is likely the first of many strikes to happen in the transportation sector in the next year or two.
            Chicago already had a two month strike because the operators union in the quarries filed unfair labor practice complaints over the owners. Road work finally resumed hot and heavy in the middle of last month.

Last year the Chicago auto mechanics union went on strike because they wanted the cost of living adjustment that was promised by accepting the two previous contracts that had pay freezes in them.

*edit* Oh, and the union actually stood up to the car dealers and refused to add a clause they wanted where if a worker wasn't "meeting expectations," they could cut the wages at will.
            Last edited by aparch; 09-13-2022, 05:29 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• IIRC unions are more popular now than any time since before Saint Ronnie.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                IIRC unions are more popular now than any time since before Saint Ronnie.
                I've never been part of a union, but my industry is so entwined with unions that I am in 100% support of unions.

Are there some bad eggs that the union protects when they shouldn't? Yeah, but the benefit of fighting for wages/benefits/protections outweighs dragging around a couple dead beats.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The two nephews of mine that have the option to join a union have chosen not to because they think they don't do anything.
                  Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco View Post

The two nephews of mine that have the option to join a union have chosen not to because they think they don't do anything.
                    Idiots say that until they’re being fired for BS reasons.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

Chicago already had a two month strike because the operators union in the quarries filed unfair labor practice complaints over the owners. Road work finally resumed hot and heavy in the middle of last month.

Last year the Chicago auto mechanics union went on strike because they wanted the cost of living adjustment that was promised by accepting the two previous contracts that had pay freezes in them.

*edit* Oh, and the union actually stood up to the car dealers and refused to add a clause they wanted where if a worker wasn't "meeting expectations," they could cut the wages at will.
                      Wait until the UPS Teamsters go on strike next year. Granted, the company has a year to get their **** together but, considering they’re fighting on AC in the package cars while drivers are dying, I’m not holding out hope.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• If you are undecided about whether to support unions, look at who opposes them.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Yeah, over the last decade I've become very pro union. But, and maybe this isn't unique, I'm not sure I'd want to be in a union job. The pay and benefits would probably be a bit better. But on the other hand, the whole seniority thing chaps my ***. The games my wife had to play, and in turn her and I as a family had to play, with vacation was infuriating. I despised having to turn in vacation plans in January going through December.

That said, I won't have to worry too much. Don't think engineers are at risk of unionizing anytime soon. So I'm not going to sweat it. I will continue to support the unions I deal with at work so much as they don't act with malice. I'm usually the first to cut them slack and find middle ground.
                          Last edited by dxmnkd316; 09-13-2022, 08:53 PM.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Yeah, over the last decade I've become very pro union. But, and maybe this isn't unique, I'm not sure I'd want to be in a union job. The pay and benefits would probably be a bit better. But on the other hand, the whole seniority thing chaps my ***. The games my wife had to play, and in turn her and I as a family had to play, with vacation was infuriating. I despised having to turn in vacation plans in January going through December.

That said, I won't have to worry too much. Don't think engineers are at risk of unionizing anytime soon. So I'm not going to sweat it. I will continue to support the unions I deal with at work so much as they don't act with malice. I'm usually the first to cut them slack and find middle ground.
                            The problem people have with seniority I think is a result of our current culture of moving jobs every few years. Seniority isn't really problem once you wait it out and you move up after a few years. If you're used to moving every 5 years or so then waiting 2-3 years can seem like an eternity, but union jobs are meant to be worked for 20+ years so 2-3 years is nothing.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I don't think the concern has to do with whether people are pro or anti union. The concern, I suspect, is related to how it'll impact the daily lives of people in the country. If suddenly there are massive supply chain interruptions so people can't get prescriptions, food, gasoline, or (gasp) toilet paper, then in general people feel like things are going crappy, and those in power feel the brunt of it.
                              While that may be true in theory...I highly doubt all the people upset about Dodds are going to all of a sudden not vote or flip away from Dems because a bunch of greedy corporate train d-bags screwed up the supply line. This isn't 1976 people actually can see what is happening.

All things being equal I might agree with this but people aren't going to ignore their rights being taken away just because it took a few extra days to get their deliveries. Want proof, notice how no one is talking about the inflation numbers. Care to guess why? (the Senate Abortion Ban is the correct answer)
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                This isn't 1976 people actually can see what is happening.
                                I don't think women who care about their rights are going to give a **** either, but let's be serious, less than 5% of Americans are going to understand what is happening. The Echo Chamber will cover it like Biden is anally violating Little Orphan Annie (the white version) and business news will probably lie too because they want their windfalls under the GOP even if it blows the world up.

People are stupid, Americans are stupider, and American voters appear to be stupidest. They aren't going to figure out it has nothing to do with the Dems. You are talking about people who voted for Dump and cared about CRT.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X