Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are a week away from what could become the largest union strike ever. If the Railroad workers strike, it's going to cripple the economy and skyrocket inflation (which had seemed to be leveling off as of late).

Stand Strong, union workers! This one's gonna hurt.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• https://twitter.com/anothercohen/sta...bgt8GQA88Zhc5Q

According to this thread, the worst insult you can make to the American working class is to say one of those four restaurants isn’t good.

The biggest defense looks to be that people think they’re an affordable way to spend a night out. Not anymore they aren’t. If they ever actually were. Olive Garden is nearly $20 a plate now. There’s a local place here that is miles better than OG and is cheaper for every single equivalent plate and has larger portions.

People also seem to be conflating that non-chains must be some luxurious black tie Michelin restaurant experience. In a lot of cases it’s the opposite. 10/10 the tacqueria in the building that looks like it’ll fall down the next time there’s a wind gust is going to be better than the sleek new taco fusion chain that just came to town, and it’ll be a third of the price.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Even Anchorage has local restaurants that easily crush the stupid chain stuff on both food and cost.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Of that list of four terrible chain restaurants, one was saved by the lyrics to a bad bro-country song (which will always make me laugh how corporate executives **** their pants scrambling to bring the dessert highlighted in the chorus *back* to the menu when it was cancelled prior to that song).

And 100% agreed that the shi**ier the building housing the non-chain restaurant, the better the food.

Best BBQ I've had so far in my life was from what looked like an abandoned warehouse down a narrow alley. They had a bar and coffee shop in the front half of the decrepit building, and zero signs of the BBQ joint.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• I should have noted this does not apply to Grand Forks. As we know the Olive Garden there is the pinnacle of dining in the Dakotas.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Of that list of four terrible chain restaurants, one was saved by the lyrics to a bad bro-country song (which will always make me laugh how corporate executives **** their pants scrambling to bring the dessert highlighted in the chorus *back* to the menu when it was cancelled prior to that song).

And 100% agreed that the shi**ier the building housing the non-chain restaurant, the better the food.

Best BBQ I've had so far in my life was from what looked like an abandoned warehouse down a narrow alley. They had a bar and coffee shop in the front half of the decrepit building, and zero signs of the BBQ joint.
              Some of the best food I've ever had has come at the most unassuming, plain looking places that you would normally just walk on by. Have several tacquerias here. Nothing fancy. But when I walk in and its nothing but the Hispanic construction and landscaping crews eating lunch there, I know I am in for a treat. (I know that sounds bad, but its true)

I also still remember an Italian restaurant I went to with my family one day while on vacation. We were in a touristy type area with lots of chains around and were walking down the street trying to decide on a local place to eat. These two guys with thick Italian accents were standing outside talking up their place. "Come in! My grandmother, she in the back making the gnocchi!" We went for it. Absolutely amazing. And he wasn't lying. We could see this little old lady in the back working in the kitchen. And everyone looked related (it was a guy and his son out front, the wife running the front, and what he would tell us were more family members as the wait staff)

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                https://twitter.com/anothercohen/sta...bgt8GQA88Zhc5Q

According to this thread, the worst insult you can make to the American working class is to say one of those four restaurants isn't good.
                They aren't garbage because the Great Unwashed eat there. They're garbage because their owners have pushed everything to LCD.
                • Applebee’s
                • Buffalo Wild Wings
                • IHOP
                • Chili’s
                • Cracker Barrel
                • Texas Roadhouse
                • Denny’s
                • Olive Garden
                • Outback Steakhouse
                • Red Lobster
                • Panera *
                • Cheesecake Factory
                • Five Guys *
                • Red Robin
                • TGI Fridays
                • Bob Evans
                • Pei Wei
                • PF Changs *
                • Ruby Tuesday
                • Carrabas
                • Boston Market *
                • Dave & Buster's
                • Cold Stone
                • Legal Sea Food *
                • Melting Pot
                • Old Spaghetti Factory
                • Baja Fresh
                All of these started out okay.

Some (*) started out GREAT.

All of them have become sh-t on a shingle, because of mass production capitalism.

Eat at family owned, single location family restaurants. They can be healthy or unhealthy, locally sourced or utterly irresponsible, expensive or affordable or dirt cheap, clean or dirty, I don't care. DO NOT GO TO CHAINS.

Last edited by Kepler; 09-12-2022, 02:06 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Red Lobster isn't great but sometimes it does what it needs to. Panera's is OK for a quick lunch at the office sometimes. Maybe Chili's once every few years if you're with a group of people and need something no one is really set against. None of those are going to blow you away, nor should you expect them to.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• I beg your pardon. Five Guys is not ****.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Five Guys is garbage.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• 5 guys is ok by me, I can get a lettuce wrap burger so its a place I can eat. Not great but not crap. Texas Roadhouse is ok also, haven't eaten at either since Covid I'll take local restaurants any day of the week.
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

They aren't garbage because the Great Unwashed eat there. They're garbage because their owners have pushed everything to LCD.
                          • Applebee’s
                          • Buffalo Wild Wings
                          • IHOP
                          • Chili’s
                          • Cracker Barrel
                          • Texas Roadhouse
                          • Denny’s
                          • Olive Garden
                          • Outback Steakhouse
                          • Red Lobster
                          • Panera *
                          • Cheesecake Factory
                          • Five Guys *
                          • Red Robin
                          • TGI Fridays
                          • Bob Evans
                          • Pei Wei
                          • PF Changs *
                          • Ruby Tuesday
                          • Carrabas
                          • Boston Market *
                          • Dave & Buster's
                          • Cold Stone
                          • Legal Sea Food *
                          • Melting Pot
                          • Old Spaghetti Factory
                          • Baja Fresh
                          All of these started out okay.

Some (*) started out GREAT.

All of them have become sh-t on a shingle, because of mass production capitalism.

Eat at family owned, single location family restaurants. They can be healthy or unhealthy, locally sourced or utterly irresponsible, expensive or affordable or dirt cheap, clean or dirty, I don't care. DO NOT GO TO CHAINS.

These same triggered losers whine about "made in china" and blather endlessly about buying local, but then go and eat in these mostly-PE-owned mega chains.
                          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• And I'll absolutely eat at some here and there. I avoid when I can, but sometimes I want a steak and Texas Roadhouse is the least worst option. Or sometimes I'm in bum****, IL on the road and the only thing remotely convenient is a Cracker Barrel.
                            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                              And I'll absolutely eat at some here and there. I avoid when I can, but sometimes I want a steak and Texas Roadhouse is the least worst option. Or sometimes I'm in bum****, IL on the road and the only thing remotely convenient is a Cracker Barrel.
                              Look at the yelp review and pick some restaurant run by some Dumpy, it'll be better and better for your soul, I promise.
                              Cornell University
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                                I beg your pardon. Five Guys is not ****.
                                Five Guys was good, but it went in the sh0tter like all the rest.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X