This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

No, my attitude is not that nothing can be done. My attitude is that I'm not sure there is anything that needs to be done, at least on any sort of permanent basis.

The system with respect to baby formula actually works pretty well. Think about it. Up until a month ago had you ever heard of any problems with it? Probably not.

The government gets what it wants. It can purchase formula for low income people who need it. The government knows the supply will be there. It also maintains strict regulatory control over something that we want to make sure is safe.

At the same time, the manufacturers have a fixed customer, they know their price, and they can just keep the plants humming along.

Yeah, a major plant was taken off line. But that's a good thing. The system worked. Possibly contaminated product was identified and the government took the steps necessary to protect the public.

By July we won't even hear another word about formula shortage. Just like toilet paper. When was the last time you heard about toilet paper shortage.

None of this is helped by people running around with their hair on fire screaming DO SOMETHING!!!!
    There is a cost for redundancy.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      So Elon loves free speech so much, he paid the woman he actually harassed 250k to not talk about it.
      Showed her his erect ***** and offered to buy her a horse if she serviced him.
      least shocking news ever
      Nothing says free speech like a big shut up check for your victim.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        No, the system failed. If the system worked we wouldn't be flying military jets to foreign countries to pick up baby formula. We also wouldn't be using the Defense Production Act or whatever the **** it is called to get more formula made faster.

The system should not fail.

Running out of baby formula is akin to running out of insulin.

We only have (4) producers of baby formula in the United States. This is economic epic failure on a grand scale. It needs to stop.
        The system didn't fail.

Flying planes to foreign countries is exactly what to do in this situation. A plant is taken temporarily off line. We temporarily authorize the import of foreign made formula. We send some planes over to pick it up until the plant is back up and running. Problem solved. We don't blow up the whole system.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

The system didn't fail.

Flying planes to foreign countries is exactly what to do in this situation. A plant is taken temporarily off line. We temporarily authorize the import of foreign made formula. We send some planes over to pick it up until the plant is back up and running. Problem solved. We don't blow up the whole system.
          Tell that to the mothers rationing food for their children. Tell that to the mothers burdening our healthcare system because they are rationing food for their babies or cannot obtain the correct formula.

The system failed. We can point directly to monopoly as the reason why. Blow up the system? Is that what you call regulation? Blowing up the system. Abbott has a lot to answer for here.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Tell that to the mothers rationing food for their children. Tell that to the mothers burdening our healthcare system because they are rationing food for their babies or cannot obtain the correct formula.

The system failed. We can point directly to monopoly as the reason why. Blow up the system? Is that what you call regulation? Blowing up the system. Abbott has a lot to answer for here.
            Sounds like insulin rationing.

system is set up to protect ability to make money not care for humans

Comment

Sounds like insulin rationing.

system is set up to protect ability to make money not care for humans
              Insulin is the correct comparison.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

"First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?"

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Federal Trade Commission Chairwoman Lina Khan pointed to concentration in the markets for baby formula and meat packing as major factors contributing to shortages and rapidly rising prices during a Congressional hearing Wednesday.
                  No ****. I think I just said that.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ft...PvToOb9MR8kTJU

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Care to explain that?

'Cause what I'm thinking is that yes, 10 smaller plants would be less efficient than 4 larger plants, in the sense that the cost to produce the same total amount of formula would be higher. But that doesn't mean that the price would be higher - in fact, with that additional competition, the price might actually be lower. So the amount that the companies are spending on labor and maintenance and parts goes up (more jobs for blue collar workers), and revenue comes down.

The *only* people who come out on the short end of that stick are the shareholders or other investors.

Tell me again why that's a bad thing?
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

No ****. I think I just said that.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ft...PvToOb9MR8kTJU
                      Of course an administration mouthpiece would say that! In fact, joecct told me Kamala used her native sultry wiles to seduce her into saying that.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

No, my attitude is not that nothing can be done. My attitude is that I'm not sure there is anything that needs to be done, at least on any sort of permanent basis.

The system with respect to baby formula actually works pretty well. Think about it. Up until a month ago had you ever heard of any problems with it? Probably not.

The government gets what it wants. It can purchase formula for low income people who need it. The government knows the supply will be there. It also maintains strict regulatory control over something that we want to make sure is safe.

At the same time, the manufacturers have a fixed customer, they know their price, and they can just keep the plants humming along.

Yeah, a major plant was taken off line. But that's a good thing. The system worked. Possibly contaminated product was identified and the government took the steps necessary to protect the public.

By July we won't even hear another word about formula shortage. Just like toilet paper. When was the last time you heard about toilet paper shortage.

None of this is helped by people running around with their hair on fire screaming DO SOMETHING!!!!
                        Tell that to your Republican pals then.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

Of course an administration mouthpiece would say that! In fact, joecct told me Kamala used her native sultry wiles to seduce her into saying that.
                          I believe that.

Comment

So Elon loves free speech so much, he paid the woman he actually harassed 250k to not talk about it.
                            Showed her his erect ***** and offered to buy her a horse if she serviced him.
                            least shocking news ever
                            His response to BI about it was strange. Instead of saying it didn’t happen, he said there was more to the story and that “if I were inclined to engage in sexual harassment, this is unlikely to be the first time in my 30 year career it comes to light.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/spac...conduct-2022-5
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• He also said she should give identifying marks on his private parts, which seems on brand

Comment

• The replies

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/...41I5qZpMmPFEgw

Comment

Working...
                                X