This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    On another note, it feels a bit odd having today off, like I should be doing something with the time. My new firm observes Veterans' Day, MLK Day, Washington's Birthday, and Juneteenth in addition to the usual holidays.
    My company stopped observing "minor" holidays, so now the only ones officially observed by the company are New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Instead of the minor holidays, they gave everyone an extra 5 days of vacation per year to take whenever they want (previously these were "floaters", but unlike vacation time floating holidays couldn't roll over). It probably makes things easier now that we have operations in China and Japan.

So anyway, that means I'm working today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      You are smart enough to know it isn't that easy. Fascism doesn't go away just cause economies fail...in fact they gain traction. If China screws this up the Right Shift worldwide will be massive.
      But fascism also occurs when corporations are too big to fail, are so pervasive and persuasive that they’re as powerful, if not more powerful, than governments themselves.
      I don’t want the entire economic order to collapse per se, but just rescuing these huge firms because they speculate beyond belief with borrowed money isn’t a good long-term solution either. They’ll just keep doing it over and over again.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post

But fascism also occurs when corporations are too big to fail, are so pervasive and persuasive that they’re as powerful, if not more powerful, than governments themselves.
        I don’t want the entire economic order to collapse per se, but just rescuing these huge firms because they speculate beyond belief with borrowed money isn’t a good long-term solution either. They’ll just keep doing it over and over again.
        Exxon having enough money to bribe Joe Manchin isn't fascism.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

They also gassed 12 million innocents...
          You know. Some cost.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I am not advocating for China to prop them up just like I didn't advocate for the US to prop up the banks. (Rover got very angry with me back in '08) but to pretend the 2 situations are the same is a ridiculous oversimplification.

Fascism isn't on the rise here because of corporate greed (though they enable it) it's because people are too blind and too stupid to stop it. dx is right Exxon being able to bribe Manchin isn't fascism it is the perfect outcome for Capitalism run amok. If the China economy fails it won't be just them that feel the brunt it will be the EU, the US, Britain and most of Asia. (many of whom are having similar Right Wing issues as us) We are talking possible Great Depression level crash and burn. (obviously that is the worst case scenario) The last time something like that happened we fought a World War over it.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

No offense, but I hear a lot of this from righties lately. "The merger of big corporations and big government = fascism!" No, it doesn't, and that just proves you don't know what fascism is.

Comment

No offense, but I hear a lot of this from righties lately. "The merger of big corporations and big government = fascism!" No, it doesn't, and that just proves you don't know what fascism is.
                That’s…not what I was saying.

Comment

• I have the most unusual Minnesotan coworker I've ever come across today.

He talks. A lot.

It's like working with a New Yorker, but he has an MN accent.

Comment

I have the most unusual Minnesotan coworker I've ever come across today.

He talks. A lot.

You betcha!

Comment

• I know plenty of motormouth minnesotans. Just not with people they don't know usually :-D (Even then there are some who are like that. Usually dirty transplants though.)
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I'm often told I talk too much...
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I have the most unusual Minnesotan coworker I've ever come across today.

He talks. A lot.

Make him start talking for your amusement: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM84v1Q6A/
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I'm often told I talk too much...
                            Yes, but you shouldn’t take Kepler so seriously….
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

Yes, but you shouldn't take Kepler so seriously.
                              I only reprimand Handy for quality, not quantity.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I only reprimand Handy for quality, not quantity.
                                Physician heal thyself ;^)
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X