Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Big news day so far this morning.

GE to break itself into three separate companies: gE Aviation, Healthcare, and GE Energy (and technology). Plan is to spin off Healthcare first by 2023.

And Comcast is having nation wide outages, most severely affecting the Chicagoland region this morning.
    Too bad it wasn't four companies, or else Q could have had a field day about GE being the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and the org responsible for providing child sex slaves to elites under the guise of providing electricity to local pizza restaurants, or whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I don't understand why a company would break itself up like that. I'm happy to see smaller companies, but don't understand why a board would vote for that.
      To eliminate the chaff.

I wish there was a lot more of this to be honest. Everyone is consolidating stuff that doesn't need consolidation.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        To eliminate the chaff.

I wish there was a lot more of this to be honest.
        Agreed, and starting with the thick layers of unnecessary middle management at a lot of megafirms.

Comment

To eliminate the chaff.

I wish there was a lot more of this to be honest. Everyone is consolidating stuff that doesn't need consolidation.
          Consolidation with a chance of monopolization. Fewer choices = less innovation, higher prices. I love when the mega-mergers of companies happen, like Sprint/T-Mobile, and their rationale provided is “Faster service, more competitive prices!” No, ****wads. Quite the opposite. We’re further along on this sh-tty path of consolidation than we ever were during the Gilded Age of 100 years ago. Andrew Mellon has little on Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk, etc. I guess at least none of them have been officially put in charge of the Treasury Department…yet.

Comment

• It will be interesting to follow what happens to the GE Research Center in Schenectady (complete with an original Thomas Edison desk). It's a centralized org for basic research - think Bell Labs back in the day. Each division of GE contributed some percentage of revenue or OI (can't remember which) to fund it, and then all divisions benefitted from the research done there. The percentage of contributions was small, but across an $80-100B company, it added up to more than a billion dollars of basic research. Not sure how you split that golden goose three ways...
            Last edited by LynahFan; 11-09-2021, 03:10 PM.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
              And Comcast is having nation wide outages, most severely affecting the Chicagoland region this morning.
              And the Bay Area and Sacramento all last night.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

To eliminate the chaff.

I do too. I'm just surprised because companies usually don't break up like this. Not into chunks this big. Usually it's it spin off a single entity with liabilities or aren't profitable. This is a fracturing. It's very uncommon.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• https://***********/MorningBrew/stat...05156576829442

BREAKING: Evergrande, the second largest real estate developer in China, has officially defaulted on its bonds. It was unable to make the required interest payments in time.
                  Yikes...
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• And POP goes the weasel!
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• If their sources are correct (NY Times seemed to say otherwise but their story was from I think yesterday) China could be in for a world of hurt...which means everyone is.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• If I knew the Chinese real estate market was a bubble then all the smart money already knew and already got out.

Let it all implode. If that's not baked in let the entire financial services industry go bankrupt. We'll dig out and the ticks will have been burned off.

Should have done it 15 years ago. Too big to fail is too big to exist.

I'll give up my retirement and eat cat food if it means my kid and grandkids are finally free of the banks and the Plutes.

Last edited by Kepler; 11-10-2021, 04:41 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• You are smart enough to know it isn't that easy. Fascism doesn't go away just cause economies fail...in fact they gain traction. If China screws this up the Right Shift worldwide will be massive.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            You are smart enough to know it isn't that easy. Fascism doesn't go away just cause economies fail...in fact they gain traction. If China screws this up the Right Shift worldwide will be massive.
                            Last time this happened, Germany ahem mislaid 90% of their morons for the next 75 years. (With a little help from the outside world, and at some cost.)

But hey, the rebuild will be good for jobs, and Phoenix won't look any different as a post-nuclear war hellscape.

Last edited by Kepler; 11-11-2021, 09:23 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• They also gassed 12 million innocents...
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• On another note, it feels a bit odd having today off, like I should be doing something with the time. My new firm observes Veterans' Day, MLK Day, Washington's Birthday, and Juneteenth in addition to the usual holidays.

Comment

Working...
                                X