Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's lower the minimum working age to 12 so we can really MAGA! The gubmint not allowing me to employ my kids or make them do dangerous jobs is TYRANNY!

Comment

• I want to believe this is as fake as a Penthouse Forum letter, but sadly it's far more likely to have been written by someone I went to college with, given how many wound up in I-banking:

https://www.askamanager.org/2021/10/...&ICID=ref_fark

Comment

• 100 hour work weeks...they are lucky someone doesn't go postal.

No one will take the job if they make them sign contracts that if they leave before 2 years they owe the company money. Hell I would tell them to **** off and die mid interview if they suggested that.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
          I want to believe this is as fake as a Penthouse Forum letter, but sadly it's far more likely to have been written by someone I went to college with, given how many wound up in I-banking:

I'm so sorry your Excel slaves are leaving because being an Excel slave sucks and isn't worth the relatively modest salary (by Manhattan standards) that you're paying and the insane working conditions you're offering.

I used to work with a guy whose older brother was a Wall Street guy. Even in his 30s he was still typically pulling 80 hr weeks. He had a plan to "retire" by 40 and he and his wife were going to move to Chicago where he figured he could get a relatively relaxing VP of Finance or CFO job with his Wall Street resume.

Comment

• I've worked a few hundred-hour weeks in my career. But in every case, I was on business travel to a site where a developmental airplane needed to be fixed so that it could go fly to resume a military or FAA certification campaign. When a company has $10B wrapped up in a project and can't get paid until it completes, you work. When there are 500 people supporting flight testing who literally cannot do their jobs until your part is fixed, you work. That's just the nature of working on a system with 1000's of critical parts. If any one of them is broken and delaying the project, it needs to be fixed right freaking now.

But it's one thing to do that when you're on business travel, staying in a hotel with housekeeping and room service and dry cleaning and driving a rental car that needs no maintenance. You literally have nothing to do except work - no errands, no spouse, no kids, no dishes to do, and you know that it is temporary. Doing that at home for 2 years straight as part of a "normal" work routine? Hell, no. Not an option.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Here's the kicker: Millennials are seeing their worth and telling their Gen-X and Boomer bosses to shove it. Just like Gen-X did in the late 90s and like Boomers did in the 80's.

The cycle repeats. It just seems new and exciting because many of us are at the age where the tipping point is.

Not saying that the world doesn't need to evolve. But it is a path that we've been down before.
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• 100-hour work weeks? That they survived for 6 months is incredible.

and I mean that literally. I can't believe they didn't die from exhaustion or suicide.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                  Here's the kicker: Millennials are seeing their worth and telling their Gen-X and Boomer bosses to shove it. Just like Gen-X did in the late 90s and like Boomers did in the 80's.

The cycle repeats. It just seems new and exciting because many of us are at the age where the tipping point is.

Not saying that the world doesn't need to evolve. But it is a path that we've been down before.
                  I think the difference is that Millennials and Gen Z can’t be bought off like Gen X and Boomers largely can/were. They think just throwing more money at them will solve the problem and suddenly it’s not working and they don’t know what to do. Work/life balance is a foreign concept to plenty of older folks.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    I think the difference is that Millennials and Gen Z can’t be bought off like Gen X and Boomers largely can/were. They think just throwing more money at them will solve the problem and suddenly it’s not working and they don’t know what to do. Work/life balance is a foreign concept to plenty of older folks.
                    And then the Pandemic exasperated that even with us that are on the border of the Mil/Gen-X. Why the hell do I want to work in an office downtown 40 hours a week when I can do the same amount of work at home in 30 hours and have a life/not be tired all of the time.

I have never seen workers have the power they do now...for the first time in decades people know how much their time is worth and have the position to wait until they get what they want.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

And then the Pandemic exasperated that even with us that are on the border of the Mil/Gen-X. Why the hell do I want to work in an office downtown 40 hours a week when I can do the same amount of work at home in 30 hours and have a life/not be tired all of the time.

I have never seen workers have the power they do now...for the first time in decades people know how much their time is worth and have the position to wait until they get what they want.
                      Keep an eye on the Teamsters election going on right now, there's a slate that's definitely a hardliner, "no givebacks" type and I've got a feeling they're gonna win. Going to make any future negotiations, especially with UPS, pretty testy, plus they want to go after Amazon.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        I want to believe this is as fake as a Penthouse Forum letter, but sadly it's far more likely to have been written by someone I went to college with, given how many wound up in I-banking:

that chick drawn (manager??) is kepler's wet dream!!
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          Keep an eye on the Teamsters election going on right now, there's a slate that's definitely a hardliner, "no givebacks" type and I've got a feeling they're gonna win. Going to make any future negotiations, especially with UPS, pretty testy, plus they want to go after Amazon.
                          Oh man...if the Teamsters go that hardline this could be fun to watch from the outside
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Oh man...if the Teamsters go that hardline this could be fun to watch from the outside
                            Yeah, time to start setting up a strike fund…

To be fair, if framed right a strike could actually work with enough organizing before hand. I know last round a sizable portion were willing to fight over raising the starting pay to $15 an hour.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Meta?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                                Meta?
                                Who knows what the **** that fascism-enabler is thinking anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X