X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

That’s perfect haha.

I got my house for under $500 and drive a Subaru.

rest of my hood has 2 cars worth at least 120k, multiple kids in private schools and homes that cost over $1m with a cabin up north.

I have no idea where these people get their money from
    Cabin up north could easily be family inheritance. That's gonna be me in a few years.

The rest, I have no idea. Banksters, doctors, and senior-level engineers probably.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Cabin up north could easily be family inheritance. That's gonna be me in a few years.

The rest, I have no idea. Banksters, doctors, and senior-level engineers probably.
      TrUe on the cabin inheritance.

I don’t have one in my family so any guy I date will have to have one.

Comment

• In a way, I think I lucked out when the 2012 Chrysler Town and Country I bought on a loan was totaled in an accident and I bought a 2007 Honda Civic with the money I had.

Also, with my student loans: "A penny saved is a penny earned. And a penny earned won't make a dent in your student debt! You are so screwed!"- Nadia G
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Wait, so actually doing things the right way pays off: https://twitter.com/margotroosevelt/...10307022217220
          Last edited by French Rage; 06-03-2021, 04:37 PM.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

That's just always been the difference between smart people and stupid people. Smart people buy modest homes and cars, but have huge libraries and take long vacations. Stupid people buy expensive homes and cars and have home theatre sectionals with cupholders for their enormous movie collection.
            That is what we did. Got a perfect sized house way under value and are able to travel and learn. Even with a remodel our house is way underpriced. If and when the market crashes our house value is safe unlike the rest of our area.

Having bankers/economics professors as in laws helps immensely.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
              Wait, so actually doing things the right way pays off: https://twitter.com/margotroosevelt/...10307022217220
              I did notice this part though:

Booming tech sector, white-collar professionals & construction will offset slower recovery of tourist-dependent hotels, restaurants & entertainment venues.
              Rich techies and real estate developers are gonna get richer, poor service workers are gonna lag and face stagflation.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

Meh. Brown, scrubby vegetative growth, surrounded by rocks and sand. No thanks.
                someone needs to read some Edward Abbey, visit Delicate Arch, find some ancient petroglyphs, and maybe a dinosaur print or two.

The Utah wilderness is great, too bad the state has so many conservatives.

last time I went to Arches National Park i read “Desert Solitaire” first and wished I could have been there back when Abbey was to see Moab when it was a sleepy uranium mining town and see Arches before it was overrun with tourons.
                Last edited by BassAle; 06-03-2021, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

I'm 41 and I'm starting to look into purchasing property in southern Utah for when I retire. My plan is to try to find some town that will be "the next Moab". Western real-estate seems crazy to me, so I feel like I need to get in now, even if its a down on its luck mining town.

Right now I live in a coastal Maine island town where lots of people retire to, so I'm expecting my property value to continue to increase faster than the average. I would like to hold onto a place here though so I can split my time (or give to my kid some day, in case he ever wants to live here), so hopefully I can downsize at that point and at least pocket some cash.

Real estate is totally out of control, and I realize that by looking at a retirement property now I'm contributing to the insanity, but I don't want to get ****ed over either.
                  Nah. This is one case where it's perfectly reasonable to look out for #1. There's no reason you can't rent it out.

You've got to protect your family's interests first.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Buy in the Wasatch Range. That's the most beautiful natural landscape I have ever seen. The people are Stepford zombies but hey they'll never go through your trash.

Buy this house and I will visit you and applaud respectfully:

Fig. 1 Probably comes with a brace of teen wives
                    Good to know architects have been exposed to Goatse as well.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Our goal is to retire up north at a cabin. We're seven years out from zero debt. I figure we'll start looking then.
                      Code:

Comment

I did notice this part though:

Rich techies and real estate developers are gonna get richer, poor service workers are gonna lag and face stagflation.
                        I agree, no one is viewing that part is a good thing by any stretch. And those affected sectors are all the more dependent on people feeling safe before they go back to them, meaning they are all the more dependent on the state taking an active role in getting people vaccinated, which it has been trying to do. Once the groundwork is laid there, it should hopefully just be a matter of time. But in the meantime, having other sectors that can help keep the budget afloat is not a bad thing given the number of measures that have been necessary this year.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

someone needs to read some Edward Abbey, visit Delicate Arch, find some ancient petroglyphs, and maybe a dinosaur print or two.

The Utah wilderness is great, too bad the state has so many conservatives.

last time I went to Arches National Park i read “Desert Solitaire” first and wished I could have been there back when Abbey was to see Moab when it was a sleepy uranium mining town and see Arches before it was overrun with tourons.
                          Not my cup of tea. Been to San Diego too, and its lovely, but just not my cup of tea.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Good. *

A global agreement to end the "race to the bottom" on corporate taxation is within sight, according to the French and German finance ministers.

France's Bruno le Maire told the BBC the G7 club of rich nations were "just one millimetre away from a historic agreement" on a global minimum rate.

He urged low tax states like Ireland to back a deal which would target tech giants such as Amazon and Microsoft.

The German finance minister said a 15% rate would help pay back Covid debt

Tax on big tech and multi-nationals has been a source of friction between the US and fellow G7 countries such as the UK.

German finance minister Olaf Scholz said it was important to stop the world's biggest companies from dodging tax.

He said it was "absolutely necessary" to reach a deal in order to "get out of this race to the bottom we see with taxes today…especially after the Covid crisis and all the money we spent to defend the health of the people, and to defend the economy."

Mr Le Maire also urged Ireland, which has one of the lowest corporate tax rates in the European Union, at 12.5%, to get "on board".

He added: "European countries, that in the past, opposed this new international tax system, must understand that they have to give the agreement to this major breakthrough".

Both ministers said agreement on a minimum rate remained a sticking point.

Mr Le Maire said he saw the 15% rate as a "starting point".

He said: "If it can be higher, it is better to have a higher rate than 15%."

However, Mr Scholz suggested that 15% would be an effective starting point that would mark a "turning point" after years of going in the other direction.
                            * I'll believe it when I see it.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Yep. Give them nowhere to hide.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                Yep. Give them nowhere to hide.
                                We need a universal graduated income and wealth tax, standardized across every country, treating all income the same. I suggest the tax structure the US had in the 1950s when we built the middle class: a flat 5% above the 90th percentile of wealth; infinitesimal up to the 50th percentile of income, 30% to the 90th, 60% up to the 99th, 90% for the top 1%.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X