Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

Listen, this comic book has a hologram on it, that means it will be worth billions of dollars one day.
    Topps is also moving into NFTs.

This made my blood run cold. I had no idea:

Topps chair Michael Eisner
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Jesus it is the 1990s all over again.
      Wait, you mean my set of Desert Storm trading cards *isn't* going to be worth anything?
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

Wait, you mean my set of Desert Storm trading cards *isn't* going to be worth anything?
        Oh god I still have those too somewhere.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

My complete sets of Garbage Pail Kids and Batman '89 collector cards are my retirement baby!!

BTW the hologram comics thing came back while I was still working at my shop. People would pay through the roof for them...although at least this time they were limited. If you ever want 20 copies of Jim Lee's X-Men from the 1990s though every comic shop in America will probably let you have them for ten cents.

I figure we are 2 years away from a Beenie Baby revival boom!
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

If you ever want 20 copies of Jim Lee's X-Men from the 1990s though every comic shop in America will probably let you have them for ten cents.
            Hey there's no reason to make fun of me personally.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Oh good, my mother can finally dump them and recoup the cost plus a little extra if originals are in demand...

I do have to say my original Starting Lineup figurines still mint in their packaging have at least held their value and aren't worth pennies on the dollar. I saw a resale shop asking original retail price for them a few years back.

Pretty sure my Star Wars Episode 1 figures aren't worth the recycled plastic cost. Haha..

*edit* I have learned that my original Lego sets (I still have at home) are apparently worth a pretty penny though... : eek :
              Last edited by aparch; 04-06-2021, 02:34 PM.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Those creepy African dolls with the wicker hair from the 50s. "Bush babies," maybe? That's what we need to bring back.

Also die-cast lead soldiers where you pour the molds yourself. That alone would probably turn half the South blue in one generation.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• I just want a Magic card crash so I can buy some playables at decent prices...
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• About the only toy or similar collectable I have really seen maintain or increase in value is LEGO. Especially if it is still in box. But even then, full sets can fetch a hefty price even if opened/used. The original Star Destroyer Ultimate Collector's Series from 2002 can (and has) fetch $400-500 in used condition and up to $2000 still in box. It originally sold for $270. Some other sets in original box are going for $2000-5000 (from original prices of $200-500) and around double their original value if used. I made a killing 2 years ago when I bought someone's complete collection for $150. They had said UCS Star Destroy (used but still with box) and another set worth probably $350-400 and a few others worth $50-300. I know there are some other toys out there that have maintained high value (especially if mint in box) but I haven't really seen much that has remained consistently valuable as LEGO generally has.

Comment

• No idea what they're worth, but I'm hoping my first printings of Frank Miller's Dark Knight series might bring me a little something.

And my mom has tons of beanie babies and Fenton glass pieces.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        And my mom has tons of beanie babies and Fenton glass pieces.
                        Anchor Hocking or GTFO.

Last edited by Kepler; 04-06-2021, 04:26 PM.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                          About the only toy or similar collectable I have really seen maintain or increase in value is LEGO. Especially if it is still in box. But even then, full sets can fetch a hefty price even if opened/used. The original Star Destroyer Ultimate Collector's Series from 2002 can (and has) fetch $400-500 in used condition and up to $2000 still in box. It originally sold for $270. Some other sets in original box are going for $2000-5000 (from original prices of $200-500) and around double their original value if used. I made a killing 2 years ago when I bought someone's complete collection for $150. They had said UCS Star Destroy (used but still with box) and another set worth probably $350-400 and a few others worth $50-300. I know there are some other toys out there that have maintained high value (especially if mint in box) but I haven't really seen much that has remained consistently valuable as LEGO generally has.
                          Magic: The Gathering laughs in LEGOs face for those prices.

Booster pack prices were about $3 for Alpha and Beta, a Beta Edition Volcanic Island is $5000 for a “Heavily Played” version, a later Revised Edition reprint is still about $700.

A sealed Revised Edition booster pack, just a pack of 15 cards that sold for ~$3, is $400.

Something newer? Innistrad was a set released 10 years. A box of 36 booster packs could be had for $100-150 or so. Today? $700.

And that’s just sealed product, prices on individual cards can be insane considering their initial cost.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                            About the only toy or similar collectable I have really seen maintain or increase in value is LEGO. Especially if it is still in box. But even then, full sets can fetch a hefty price even if opened/used. The original Star Destroyer Ultimate Collector's Series from 2002 can (and has) fetch $400-500 in used condition and up to $2000 still in box. It originally sold for $270. Some other sets in original box are going for $2000-5000 (from original prices of $200-500) and around double their original value if used. I made a killing 2 years ago when I bought someone's complete collection for $150. They had said UCS Star Destroy (used but still with box) and another set worth probably $350-400 and a few others worth $50-300. I know there are some other toys out there that have maintained high value (especially if mint in box) but I haven't really seen much that has remained consistently valuable as LEGO generally has.
                            Those Hot Wheel cars from about 1968 to about 1973 or so have maintained a pretty solid value, especially when you consider most of them were sold for less than $1 at the time.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              Magic: The Gathering laughs in LEGOs face for those prices.

Booster pack prices were about $3 for Alpha and Beta, a Beta Edition Volcanic Island is $5000 for a “Heavily Played” version, a later Revised Edition reprint is still about $700.

A sealed Revised Edition booster pack, just a pack of 15 cards that sold for ~$3, is $400.

Something newer? Innistrad was a set released 10 years. A box of 36 booster packs could be had for $100-150 or so. Today? $700.

And that’s just sealed product, prices on individual cards can be insane considering their initial cost.
                              I used to collect MTG as well. But I have seen the the prices of that stuff fluctuate wildly and crash. It honestly would not surprise me to see additional crashes in the future.

My point wasn't that LEGO was the mostly costly thing, but that from what I have witnessed, it has consistently maintained or increased in price compared to other collectible things.

Comment

• Before I worked at the comic shop I worked at a collectible story a buddy ran. It was like 5-6 months from going under because they lost their shirt on Beanie Babies. MTG and Yu-Gi-Oh! were basically what kept it alive...even the sports collectibles couldn't sell. (I have like 3 Willie Mays signed balls at my parents cause they had like 30) They kept it open after the Beanie Crash as a tax shelter but they wanted out so we started selling stuff on Ebay and prepping for liquidation. They checked out so badly we did all the ordering, most of the selling and managed all of the tourneys held in the store. Since we were making minimum wage and they couldn't even be bothered to put a tape in the security system we robbed that place blind. My buddy and I bought enough stuff to cover our butts then started just taking what no one would buy in store and sold it. Funded almost a year of living on just that stuff. We had quite the system...they had no idea what they had nor did they care anymore. Another guy did that with the sports memorabilia, he even opened up his own store for a bit I think.

The best was in every box of Yu-Gi-Oh! there was one rare and one super rare card. My buddy had a super accurate scale and was able to weigh the packs and figure out which ones had the valuable cards. We would pay retail for that pack ($2.99 or something) and sell the card for $60 online. The rest of the box would get sold that day and no one knew what was happening. By the end we would order 6 boxes of every new set of MTG (which were harder to sell) and Yu-Gi-Oh! and 2 would sell right away, one we would take the super rare and sell off the rest and then after a busy day or week one would just go away. (to my buddy's apartment)

When they had final liquidation we cut a deal to buy the remaining stuff for a couple hundred bucks and turned around made well over $2000. We undercut most other sellers on combined shipping so people always overpaid for our stuff even internationally. (only the German mail was an issue)
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X