Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There’s a big difference between a company doing something and a freelancer. Maybe my understanding is wrong but I believe the original opportunity was with some sort of freelancer. They’re not going to buy WC insurance, collect payroll taxes, and send someone a W-2 for a 10 hour a week internship.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      There’s a big difference between a company doing something and a freelancer. Maybe my understanding is wrong but I believe the original opportunity was with some sort of freelancer. They’re not going to buy WC insurance, collect payroll taxes, and send someone a W-2 for a 10 hour a week internship.
      Then maybe the freelancer should do that work themselves. What, they don't want to spend 10 hours per week doing that work because their time is more valuable? Then maybe they should pay someone to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post

By this logic, an entry level job is really just experience and training for your next job. So why should you get paid for that either?
        The difference is this. An internship is usually for a defined period of time. For example, maybe a summer internship, or a year long internship. It is not intended as some sort of ongoing employment relationship.

If you are hired for an entry level job, there is at least a hope or expectation that the employee will be with the company for years to come, even though that is not always the case.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

Yeah. I'm having a raging debate with a good friend of mine right now over the $15 minimum wage. He has a son with Down's Syndrome and he worries his son won't be able to find a job if companies have to pay him $15/hr - even he believes that his own son's labor probably really isn't "worth" $15/hr. Other topics have included kids with paper routes and internships (paid and unpaid).

To me, those (real) concerns should have their own remedies - they are no reason to keep millions below the poverty line.
          The Down's syndrome thing is easy. Feds and state subsidized half the pay.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

The difference is this. An internship is usually for a defined period of time. For example, maybe a summer internship, or a year long internship. It is not intended as some sort of ongoing employment relationship.

If you are hired for an entry level job, there is at least a hope or expectation that the employee will be with the company for years to come, even though that is not always the case.
            Almost all jobs are for a defined period of time. Otherwise they're gifts.

how about this. We all agree all jobs are for a defined period of time, let's say, an hour, and we al agree to pay a minimum amount for that defined length. I'll suggest $15 as a starting point.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

If you are hired for an internship, there is at least a hope or expectation that the intern will be offered employment with the company, even though that is not always the case.

It really doesn't seem too different.

Comment

• If we didn't have slaves, we'd all be naked!!!
                Code:

Comment

• Even back in the 90s SCSU required all internships sought through the school to be paid. I believe your internship wouldn’t count towards school credit if you weren’t paid.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    Even back in the 90s SCSU required all internships sought through the school to be paid. I believe your internship wouldn’t count towards school credit if you weren’t paid.
                    See hovey, your ****'s so backwards even stearns county thinks it's farked up.
                    Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

See hovey, your ****'s so backwards even stearns county thinks it's farked up.
                      Well, I imagine MnSCU would be a little bit surprised to discover Stearns County has taken control of SCSU, but that's sort of not the point.

Unpaid internships will be around for so long as people are willing to accept them as reasonable compensation for their labors. If you're a person who doesn't agree it's reasonable compensation, don't apply. It's that simple.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Unpaid internships will be around for so long as people of wealth are willing to accept them as a chance to get in the door over poorer students. If you're a person who doesn't have the financial means to work for free, then good ****ing luck. It's that simple.
                        Seems more accurate now...

Comment

• It's almost as even meritocracies are set up to perpetuate class advantages.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Unpaid internships will be around for so long as people are willing to accept them as reasonable compensation for their labors. If you're a person who doesn't agree it's reasonable compensation, don't apply. It's that simple.
                            "well, yeah, I don't care if the conditions are terrible. If they don't like it, they can find another job."
                            -Hovey, Chicago 1905, probably
                            Code:

Comment

"well, yeah, I don't care if the conditions are terrible. If they don't like it, they can find another job."
                              Yeah, I think I've seen that book: "The Perfectly Fine, Nothing to See Here, Meritocratic Jungle"
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

"They signed a fair and equally binding contract. Triangle Shirtwaist are the real victims here and they should take rebuilding costs out of the survivors' estates."

Fig. 1 1911 Job Creators

The sickest part of Hovey is there are at 3 SCOTUS justices who have his same attitude towards Lochner.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X