This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

kids from families with money get to take unpaid internships at prestigious firms, and then get a leg up starting their career. Kids from poor families spend the summer working at McDonalds to pay bills.
    I took an unpaid internship, and you're right, it did give me a leg up in my career. My family wasn't wealthy. Now, my internship was for only four hours per day, so it gave me time to work other jobs.

But no one held a gun to my head and said I had to take it. I could have worked those four hours a day at McDonalds, I guess.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I took an unpaid internship, and you're right, it did give me a leg up in my career. My family wasn't wealthy. Now, my internship was for only four hours per day, so it gave me time to work other jobs.

But no one held a gun to my head and said I had to take it. I could have worked those four hours a day at McDonalds, I guess.
      This is the exact same argument that continued to be made yesterday.

It’s great you were able to make it work. It’s great that you believe it provided you a step up for your career. But you should have been paid for your time.

The type of internship Bass talks about is how unpaid internships are actually supposed to work. If I’m reading the description correctly, it’s basically doing a case study in a real business setting. However, I’d wager to guess that >90% of unpaid internships are not that, and are instead companies simply using unpaid labor.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

Shocker.

And if 10-year-old kids are willing to work in the mill 80 hours per week for $0.50/hr, who are we to stop them? If they weren't interested, they just shouldn't apply, right?

Market equilibrium rarely aligns with Justice for All, and it's the government's job to assure the latter even if that requires market manipulation.
        The kids who can’t afford to take unpaid internships because they have to earn a wage to live are just losers

Comment

"only 4 hours per day." You had enough money that you could afford to work 20 hours per week (plus commute time and costs) for free. Many people don't have that luxury because they, you know, need to get money to eat and put a roof over their heads.
          Last edited by unofan; 03-02-2021, 09:52 AM.

Comment

It wasn't right then either. Would you have rather been paid, or do you think your time was truly worthless and you got every penny you deserved?

Comment

• I'm a grad student now. Last quarter, I took an unpaid internship for 10 hours a week. However, knowing my paid job only got me $423/week net, I felt those 10 hours a week could have been spent getting something. Next quarter, when I go back, I get a virtual experience that comes with credit.

However, when I start something again in person in the fall, I need to figure out a paid job, grad school homework, and an unpaid internship.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post

It wasn't right then either. Would you have rather been paid, or do you think your time was truly worthless and you got every penny you deserved?
                Sure, I would have rather been paid $1 million per hour.

The thing is, the internship wouldn't exist if it wasn't unpaid. It was a government internship, and it simply wasn't a budgeted item, and it's not like some wealthy corporate owner could just pay me out of his pocket.

I feel like I was compensated for my efforts. I basically considered it an extension of my education. The knowledge, experience and training I received made it well worth it, together with whatever impact it may have had on my resume and future employment prospects.

No one paid me to go to school. In fact, I paid the school. That's what an internship is. I received an education, and instead of paying for it, I worked off my tuition.
                Last edited by SJHovey; 03-02-2021, 10:45 AM.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Also, disabled and the minimum wage: Sam's Club took one guy and put him as a greeter. They took my ADHD *** and put me in carts. I get the feeling Meijer, Wally, and Target do the same thing.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                    Also, disabled and the minimum wage: Sam's Club took one guy and put him as a greeter. They took my ADHD *** and put me in carts. I get the feeling Meijer, Wally, and Target do the same thing.
                    I used to work for Safeway and they would actually give stores additional labor budget to support hiring disabled individuals. So if a job should have taken 20 hours a week but a disabled employee was performing and needed 40 to do it, they would up the stores labor budget to cover the additional cost. I'd imagine it's a common practice.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

"only 4 hours per day." You had enough money that you could afford to work 20 hours per week (plus commute time and costs) for free. Many people don't have that luxury because they, you know, need to get money to eat and put a roof over their heads.
                      You mean the ones already working two or three jobs?

What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• and it's not like some wealthy corporate owner could just pay me out of his pocket.
                        Well, no, we know that ain't gonna happen. They got millions to donate to politicians, after all. Can't do that if they're giving you 8 bucks an hour.

Comment

Sure, I would have rather been paid $1 million per hour.

The thing is, the internship wouldn't exist if it wasn't unpaid.

Comment

I feel like I was compensated for my efforts. I basically considered it an extension of my education. The knowledge, experience and training I received made it well worth it, together with whatever impact it may have had on my resume and future employment prospects.
                            By this logic, an entry level job is really just experience and training for your next job. So why should you get paid for that either?

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post

By this logic, an entry level job is really just experience and training for your next job. So why should you get paid for that either?
                              That's basically what they think, why they don't want a minimum wage increase. Cause all those people working for minimum wage are all just working entry level jobs.

Comment

• Even my old company paid their interns and they once made a slight change to an OT shift I picked up because it saved the company $10.
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X