X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    And who hired said manufacturer?

Boeing doesn't get to hide behind their manufacturer when things go bad. I don't see them deflecting praise for their planes greatness and giving all the credit to the manufacturers when things aren't blowing up in their faces.
    As explained before, the airline chooses the engine manufacturer.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      As explained before, the airline chooses the engine manufacturer.
      Manufacturer, yes.

But Boeing holds the Type Cert for the airplane, which certifies that all of the approved engines are designed properly and are safe for use. So if it turns out that there's a design flaw in the engines, Boeing does share some responsibility (plenty of blame to go around in that case!). If, on the other hand, the engine manufacturer changed something in one of their processes after Type Certification, say, to cut cost (while declaring that the end product is still the same, but it actually turned out to be less reliable), then the blame would be almost fully on the engine company and almost none* on Boeing.

*even if the engine company just changes a process, they still have to declare it to Boeing as a "class II" change (no change to fit, form, or function of the part), and Boeing does get an opportunity to review the change to be sure they agree with that classification. So even then Boeing isn't 100% off the hook.
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• The Russian 777 has GE engines, not the same PW engines the United flight had.
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• This is so brilliantly stupid.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• NFL reporter Jane Slater tweeted this today.

I posted an opportunity for an unpaid internship and I’m amazed the comments I get. It’s not even for me. It’s for someone else and I would have jumped at it in college. I had 3 unpaid internships in school, double majored and had a job. SMH
            It sparked what became a very circular argument. Commenters saying people should get paid for their work and that unpaid internships increase the gap between haves and have nots. Jane and some other sports media people would bring up how they got their start through an unpaid internship or their their unpaid internship started everything. Commenters would say, that's great, but you should have gotten paid for that work. Media would say it's part of the "grind." Commenters would say you should get paid for your grind. And it continued on until the argument was stripped down to the always wonderful "that's what I had to do to make it, so you should too."
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Yeah I think we are beyond the days of waxing nostalgic about unpaid internships. I get that is how things used to be...but there are lots of "ways things used to be" that are way outdated and that is one of them.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Yeah I think we are beyond the days of waxing nostalgic about unpaid internships. I get that is how things used to be...but there are lots of "ways things used to be" that are way outdated and that is one of them.
                I did an unpaid internship for a federal judge in law school, but it was for credit. I have no problem with those internships because it's essentially just a pass/fail class with practical experience.

Unpaid internships that aren't for credit or aren't through a union/labor department apprenticeship program (or the like), is simply a company trying to get free labor. Fark that.

pre-law school, I did two internships in sports information. The first was for a D3 school where I got paid minimally (like well below minimum wage) but got free on campus housing and some meals, so with that I was probably making close to minimum wage. Second one at a D1 school I got paid marginally better (like $27,000 for the year, I think), was benefit eligible so I had health insurance, and got subsidized housing through the university, so it wasn't horrible. Given the hours I worked, though, probably was making under minimum wage. (40 hours during the week, travel with teams every other weekend, and weekends I wasn't travelling was working home games, though summer was obviously a lighter work load)

Comment

Yeah I think we are beyond the days of waxing nostalgic about unpaid internships. I get that is how things used to be...but there are lots of "ways things used to be" that are way outdated and that is one of them.
                  In ten years, "Unpaid internship" should be so vulgar that people recoil at the mere mention of it.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Elizabeth Warren was on CNBC touting an ultra-rich tax this morning. Two pennies on the dollar for anyone with a grand total of wealth of $50 Million or more, which includes every single source of money a person holds (property, stocks, Swiss Bank accounts, buried in the sand in the Cayman Islands...)

Since the pandemic, the top has added to their wealth by over one trillion dollars. This tax would bring back three trillion over the first 10 years. She touts that it can even provide universal childcare.

And I'm 100% on board.

Eat the rich! Err, tax the rich!!

*edit*
                    Also, she destroyed the Squawk Box crew live on air. And despite my grumbling of Joe Kernan, I like them all. And Warren still came out on top.
                    Last edited by aparch; 03-02-2021, 07:58 AM.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

In ten years, "Unpaid internship" should be so vulgar that people recoil at the mere mention of it.
                      Yeah. I'm having a raging debate with a good friend of mine right now over the $15 minimum wage. He has a son with Down's Syndrome and he worries his son won't be able to find a job if companies have to pay him $15/hr - even he believes that his own son's labor probably really isn't "worth" $15/hr. Other topics have included kids with paper routes and internships (paid and unpaid).

To me, those (real) concerns should have their own remedies - they are no reason to keep millions below the poverty line.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

I did an unpaid internship for a federal judge in law school, but it was for credit. I have no problem with those internships because it's essentially just a pass/fail class with practical experience.

Unpaid internships that aren't for credit or aren't through a union/labor department apprenticeship program (or the like), is simply a company trying to get free labor. Fark that.

pre-law school, I did two internships in sports information. The first was for a D3 school where I got paid minimally (like well below minimum wage) but got free on campus housing and some meals, so with that I was probably making close to minimum wage. Second one at a D1 school I got paid marginally better (like $27,000 for the year, I think), was benefit eligible so I had health insurance, and got subsidized housing through the university, so it wasn't horrible. Given the hours I worked, though, probably was making under minimum wage. (40 hours during the week, travel with teams every other weekend, and weekends I wasn't travelling was working home games, though summer was obviously a lighter work load)
                        Agreed. I had to do a practicum in public health as a requirement for my masters. So I received credit required to graduate. So technically, because the credits cost money, I had to pay to work. That should still continue in those circumstances, and of course they all have requirements- things like, the place you do thr work for is likely not a giant for profit company

Comment

• I think it depends on the nature of the internship. If it’s something like 10 hours a week I’m fine with it being unpaid and think it is a huge benefit to the person doing it. If the internship is say 40 hours a week that definitely is not okay if they don’t get paid.

If you had to pay and make people official employees for 10 hour a week internships I think a lot of them would disappear which would obviously not be good for folks without connections.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I guess I don't get why people complain about unpaid internships. If someone is offering an unpaid internship, and you're not interested in doing that work for no pay, don't apply. It's that simple.

There are obviously enough people out there willing to take them in exchange for the experience that companies will still offer them.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I guess I don't get why people complain about unpaid internships. If someone is offering an unpaid internship, and you're not interested in doing that work for no pay, don't apply. It's that simple.

There are obviously enough people out there willing to take them in exchange for the experience that companies will still offer them.
                              Shocker.

And if 10-year-old kids are willing to work in the mill 80 hours per week for $0.50/hr, who are we to stop them? If they weren't interested, they just shouldn't apply, right?

Market equilibrium rarely aligns with Justice for All, and it's the government's job to assure the latter even if that requires market manipulation.
                              Last edited by LynahFan; 03-02-2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

kids from families with money get to take unpaid internships at prestigious firms, and then get a leg up starting their career. Kids from poor families spend the summer working at McDonalds to pay bills.

If all internships were paid, more people would have that opportunity.

I will admit my company does do unpaid internships, but mostly just for local highschool students for academic year internships that are just a few hours a week -- and they don't really do much for real work. They're basically doing a small supervised research project for academic credit. College interns are paid.
                                Last edited by BassAle; 03-02-2021, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X