This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

You understand that the people arguing with you (not me but FS23) probably know more about it than you do right? Your posts seem to suggest otherwise...
    One of the superpowers conservatives have is their gut instincts are superior to decades of professional experience or scholarly research.

They just "know." And their falsifiability test is they never doubt themselves.

It's like religious faith, but inwards directed.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Again I am not saying it isnt the correct term (I discussed it in class last year) but it has no value anymore because it actually doesn't exist. Free Market Capitalism doesn't allow for it anymore.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Free Market Capitalism doesn't allow for it anymore.
        I believe you misspelled "Plutocratic Rentier Exploitation."

Honest mistake, they're close.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1359924679302144010

The $600 weekly boost to jobless benefits included in the CARES Act did little to discourage the unemployed from attempting to return to work, according to a study released Thursday by the JPMorgan Chase Research Institute.

Economists from JPMorgan Chase and the University of Chicago found no sustained increase in the number of people who returned to work after receiving unemployment benefits once the $600 weekly increase expired at the end of July.
          But but but...
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

You understand that the people arguing with you (not me but FS23) probably know more about it than you do right? Your posts seem to suggest otherwise...
            Yeah, I see that he's been trying to bait me into some sort of dikk measuring contest.

Look, sorry I expressed an opinion on what I see as problems with the case. When the billion dollar verdict comes in, and is upheld on appeal, I'm sure I'll hear all about it.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Holy fu** is that a loaded report. My wife *actively* looked for work all summer, panicked when the extension wasn't granted because *NO ONE WOULD HIRE HER*.

Un-fu**-ing believable. There are still TEN MILLION PEOPLE OUT OF WORK thanks to the "we're not a shipping agency" hands off approach by Trump and Co.

Fu** these disingenuous a**holes.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Yeah, I see that he's been trying to bait me into some sort of dikk measuring contest.

Look, sorry I expressed an opinion on what I see as problems with the case. When the billion dollar verdict comes in, and is upheld on appeal, I'm sure I'll hear all about it.
                I was trying to gauge how much weight I should give your opinion. I admittedly only have relevant experience in Colorado (about a dozen litigated cases in this area), Pennsylvania (1 litigated case in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania), and New Jersey (1 litigated case). Further, my experience is predominately in defending defamation cases. Based on that experience and knowledge gained, your opinion on this matter was hogwash. However, I also recognize that there are a bunch of other jurisdictions and different people who have various other experience with defamation cases. I was trying to gauge if perhaps you had that type of experience. Given that you continually refuse to answer the question, I'm going to presume your experience is basically zero and you are just talking out of your ***.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

I was trying to gauge how much weight I should give your opinion. I admittedly only have relevant experience in Colorado (about a dozen litigated cases in this area), Pennsylvania (1 litigated case in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania), and New Jersey (1 litigated case). Further, my experience is predominately in defending defamation cases. Based on that experience and knowledge gained, your opinion on this matter was hogwash. However, I also recognize that there are a bunch of other jurisdictions and different people who have various other experience with defamation cases. I was trying to gauge if perhaps you had that type of experience. Given that you continually refuse to answer the question, I'm going to presume your experience is basically zero and you are just talking out of your ***.
                  Like I said, just my opinion. Sorry I posted it. I guess we'll all find out sooner or later what the outcome is, and then everyone here will be able to rub my face in it.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Like I said, just my opinion. Sorry I posted it. I guess we'll all find out sooner or later what the outcome is, and then everyone here will be able to rub my face in it.
                    Would you guess the settlement will be around 20,000? ;D

Comment

Oh get off your cross Bob Gray. You seemed to have no issue with people piling on me for expressing an opinion on things as you do (including you doing it yourself) but apparently you can't handle it when people do it to you.

No one is saying you should not have an opinion...but maybe when someone who is learned in a subject tells you why you might be wrong it is worth listening to.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Shell Oil is phasing out... oil.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post

Would you guess the settlement will be around 20,000? ;D
                          It's funny you should post that. Earlier, after I posted that I thought the plaintiffs would end up settling for Gretchen Carlson money, I went to look up what she got because I couldn't remember. Turns out it was $20 million, which is kind of funny for the exact reason you now reference.

My actual guess is that they'll settle for somewhere south of $80 million. If you made me guess a specific number, I'll go with $50 mil. I think the pink slime people got something like $175 million in their case, but they had actual damages. They were closing plants left and right because of the drop in business, and they were claiming something like $5 billion in damages, which is twice as much as the plaintiffs here.

So, there it is, $50 million. Someone save it so that rufus and others can come back and rub my face in it.

Comment

Oh get off your cross Bob Gray. You seemed to have no issue with people piling on me for expressing an opinion on things as you do (including you doing it yourself) but apparently you can't handle it when people do it to you.

No one is saying you should not have an opinion...but maybe when someone who is learned in a subject tells you why you might be wrong it is worth listening to.
                            Calm down. I'm happy for him. Six years into his career he's the second coming of Floyd Abrams.

Comment

• I am not the one playing martyr...trust me I am about as calm as you can get.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

That is simply not SJHovey's way. He spouts off an opinion with absolutely zero basis and can't handle it when it is criticized. Time to put him on ignore.
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X