No announcement yet.

Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently, even though Dobbs was the highest rated show on the Fox Business channel, the show was something of a loss leader because he'd lost so much advertising in the last handful of years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I believe it was because of the big lawsuit.
      Maria Bartiromo and Jeanine Pirro were named in that lawsuit too...
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Yeah the lawsuit is the problem...he will never drop the Big Lie.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post

I got my $600 after Jan 1 too but put down that I did receive it. If you put down that you didn't, they will add it to any return you get this year. But, the way I read it, if you put down 0 and then got it after you file but before you processing or whatever, then it will be removed from your return. If they see you still haven't gotten it by the time they process then it will be added to your return then. So on your case, it sounds like if you put 0, it won't get added to your return since you did end up getting it.

There is no 1099 or anything. There will likely be a place that simply asks to confirm what you got (as I was asked when doing it online).
          Just did my preliminary taxes (holding off filing til my wife's student loans are officially gone under the PSLF program - she should officially hit her 10-year mark this month - since if we file jointly and they don't go away her payments will skyrocket).

There's a one-page worksheet where they ask you about both stimulus payments (which TurboTax and other software will automate). Basically ask you what you got each round, what your income is, and what you should've gotten based on that income and family situation. If you got less than you should've you get a credit on your taxes. If you got more, you don't owe the difference.

One key is that they treat each stimulus independently. So in my case, we got too little last spring and too much last month, so we get to claim a credit for the missing amount last spring but don't have to reduce that amount by the overpayment last month.
          Last edited by unofan; 02-08-2021, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            Tax Question:

Do I need a 1099 or similar form for my two stimulus checks or are those payments already baked into the 1040 Form?

With no other income outside of my one normal job last year, it seems that I just need that W-2 and my Student Loan interest form. It seems too simple so I don't trust it, ha ha...
            You don't need the form, but if you don't remember the amount you received in either or both rounds, you can now look it up online at irs.gov/account.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Yeah the lawsuit is the problem...he will never drop the Big Lie.
              Can Dominion sue Dump into penury?
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• If he used their name then I don't see why not...
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

If he used their name then I don't see why not...
                  He wouldn’t even have to use their name, just say that the machines in State X were rigged, and if it’s a state using Dominion machines, that would be enough.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

He wouldn’t even have to use their name, just say that the machines in State X were rigged, and if it’s a state using Dominion machines, that would be enough.
                    I would assume even retweeting or promoting people who are saying it would count as well.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Things fall apart
                      The Center cannot hold
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I would assume even retweeting or promoting people who are saying it would count as well.
                        Yeah, but truth is an absolute defense to a defamation claim, so he should have nothing to worry about. (MASSIVE wink emoji)
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• So, funny thing. I bought one share of GME ($71) and one of AMC ($7) for solidarity last week, and I have been following them.

They are tracking exactly.

Somebody is doing something weird.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            So, funny thing. I bought one share of GME ($71) and one of AMC ($7) for solidarity last week, and I have been following them.

They are tracking exactly.

Somebody is doing something weird.
                            Isn't it likely that two WSB backed stocks will follow the same trend since one would be likely to have bought both and will probably buy/sell in tandem?
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

Isn't it likely that two WSB backed stocks will follow the same trend since one would be likely to have bought both and will probably buy/sell in tandem?
                              I guess that would explain the buy side of the equation, but the sell side?

Plus, the thing is before the Robinhood Screw Job there was latency between the stocks -- AMC was on a similar trajectory but trailing-- but that event seems to have "synced" them.

It seems to me the only way that would happen would be simultaneous collusion on the buy side (retail) and the sell side (hedgies).
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Yeah, but truth is an absolute defense to a defamation claim, so he should have nothing to worry about. (MASSIVE wink emoji)
                                My guess is these cases, if competently defended, will be defended not on the truth or falsity of the statements but on the damages.

If no one believes the statements, no matter how outrageous or untruthful, there are no damages here. This case is even more interesting because it's not like these voting machines are a consumer product where the public gets turned off of them due to the statements. There are probably a very limited set of buyers for these machines (state and local election officials?) so they'll have to show that those individuals have decided against buying the product because of Trump's fraud claims. Probably not going to be that easy to do.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X