Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like the idea of a week-long voting national holiday in June (opposite Christmas 6 months later). And nothing says the current number of holidays is by divine command. We could have 5 fewer or 15 more. Our choice.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      In all honesty, why isn't Juneteenth a national holiday?

If I could start over, I would include it on the short list of national holidays, along with the anniversary of the moon landing.

Election Day should be for a week and you can take any day you want off. And move it to better weather.
      Honestly.....who knew of Juneteenth two weeks ago?

25% of the population? Too high??
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Morning joe just tossed a nutty. Good for him
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

Thank you for an excellent argument why it should be a national holiday.

POLITICAL SIGNIFICANCE:

Independence Day
          Memorial Day
          Presidents Day

SOCIAL SIGNIFICANCE:

Labor Day
          MLK
          Veterans Day
          New Years
          Thanksgiving
          Columbus Day
          Christmas

I would add or change these holidays:

Kill Presidents Day
          Kill Columbus Day
          Kill Memorial Day
          Thanksgiving. Change it to Native Day, a celebration of the original Americans.*
          Emancipation Day (June 19). The end of slavery.
          Patriots Day (April 9). The day the traitors surrendered. Make THIS the day we solemnly mourn our war dead.
          Bill of Rights Day (September 25). Have kids' games where we put our government officials under a fake guillotine, to remind them.
          Victory Day (October 19). The day the British surrendered. Make THIS the day for military pew pew oo-rah.
          Armistice Day (November 11). Celebrate as Anti-war day, as it was originally intended. This should NOT be a military day in any way.
          Labor Day (May 1). Move it to the date it is celebrated in the rest of the world.

* Make all the land in the Western Hemisphere a perpetual deed of trust for NAs, and pay them rent every year on Native Day in a ceremony before all of Congress, like the State of the Union speech. Keep a copy of the deed on display in the Smithsonian, nestled in Andrew Jackson's skull.
          Last edited by Kepler; 06-17-2020, 08:56 AM.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I had never heard of it until now, and I suspect a lot of supposedly "woke" lefties hadn't either.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

I had never heard of it until now, and I suspect a lot of supposedly "woke" lefties hadn't either.
              I first heard of it when The Watchmen on HBO first aired. I cannot believe my school didn't teach this at all. Sickening to be honest.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

I first heard of it when The Watchmen on HBO first aired. I cannot believe my school didn't teach this at all. Sickening to be honest.
                I think you’re confusing it with the Tulsa massacre? “Juneteenth, also known as Freedom Day, Jubilee Day, and Cel-Liberation Day, is an American holiday celebrated annually on June 19. It commemorates June 19, 1865, when Union general Gordon Granger read federal orders in Galveston, Texas, that all previously enslaved people in Texas were free.” (Wiki)
                I was in Panama last fall; those people know how to do holidays. There are about 3 independence days in November, and they take a week off work for each one. As I recall, they said they take most of the summer off too, to chill in the mountains.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

The Juneteenth episode of Atlanta, 2 years ago. However my daughter looked at me like I had stepped out of Victorian England when I mentioned I'd not heard of it, and she teaches American History to junior high school kids, so I think we're doing it now even in sh-t holes like AZ.

We were raised in a country that was even more racist than it is now, somehow. Of course our teachers didn't think THE DAY SLAVERY WAS ABOLISHED was an important day. But, hey, we know the date Peal Harbor was bombed. That affected white people.

Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                    they take a week off work for each one. As I recall, they said they take most of the summer off too, to chill in the mountains.
                    Everybody civilized stops working in the summer and goes to the mountains or the seaside. Only Americans have been trained by our masters to tool through it, and we're so dumb we're actually proud of ourselves.

The reaction of Europeans to Americans, when it isn't revulsion, is pity. They regard us as prisoners.
                    Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      In all honesty, why isn't Juneteenth a national holiday?

If I could start over, I would include it on the short list of national holidays, along with the anniversary of the moon landing.

Election Day should be for a week and you can take any day you want off. And move it to better weather.
                      Juneteenth isn't a national holiday. It's a TX holiday that has started to be recognized by more and more people, and then by companies for its political significance. There's a very good reason why only TX recognizes it. (For people like mookie, it's because the copy of the Emancipation Proclamation arrived in Texas that day. Only to then be ignored.)
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post

I think you’re confusing it with the Tulsa massacre? “Juneteenth, also known as Freedom Day, Jubilee Day, and Cel-Liberation Day, is an American holiday celebrated annually on June 19. It commemorates June 19, 1865, when Union general Gordon Granger read federal orders in Galveston, Texas, that all previously enslaved people in Texas were free.” (Wiki)
                        I was in Panama last fall; those people know how to do holidays. There are about 3 independence days in November, and they take a week off work for each one. As I recall, they said they take most of the summer off too, to chill in the mountains.
                        You're right. Here I am conflating the two. I didn't know either of them existed. Sad.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• No one ought to beat themselves up over it. It's not as if it was something being taught in school but you said, "Ah **** that I have no desire to learn about this!" and completely tuned it out. The most important thing now is to become familiar and educated about it and pass it on.

Comment

I learned about it two years ago...no joke from the show Black-ish.

And as Kepler said that is exactly why it should be a holiday. Plus it will **** of Whitey.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

Juneteenth isn't a national holiday. It's a TX holiday that has started to be recognized by more and more people, and then by companies for its political significance. There's a very good reason why only TX recognizes it. (For people like mookie, it's because the copy of the Emancipation Proclamation arrived in Texas that day. Only to then be ignored.)
                              Tell that to the Black people outside Texas who celebrate it...
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• I'm reading this thread with honest surprise that so many of you haven't heard of Juneteenth before now. It's shocking, really.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X