Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The chef gets paid a living wage. The server gets the absolute legal minimum.
    Also, the chef is batch processing. The server is giving you personal attention.
    Also, the chef has a more in demand skill and has other options if a better job comes along.
    Also, the server is on their feet all day and dealing with as-shole customers who are looking for excuses not to tip because hey what did they do?
    Unfortunately, some restaurants (mostly the shi**y chain ones, and also some fancy ones which are ran by shi**y owners/managers) also make the servers pool their tips and split them with the kitchen staff, despite paying the chefs better because, hey, capitalism, let the customers pay the wages of the waitresses.

I've always tipped well (not as well as you, but better than the average) because my wife got through college and the first few years out of college as a waitress. I do try to tip cash, because if it's a totally shi**y night where the waitress would get fu**ed on her hours, she can just "forget" about reporting some of the cash. For those who don't know, (and I am unfamiliar with other states handling of it), Michigan's laws are written so that:
    The Michigan minimum wage is currently $9.45 per hour. Waiters and waitresses are entitled to receive at least that much for every hour worked. However, restaurants can take a “tip credit” of up to $5.86 per hour, meaning they only pay the servers a cash wage of $3.59 per hour.

Since employees are entitled to the greater protection available, this means that waiters and waitresses in Michigan are entitled to be paid at least $3.59 per hour by restaurants, with restaurants using a “tip credit” of $5.86. If restaurants do rely on a “tip credit” of $5.86 per hour to justify paying servers $3.59, they must also keep track of tips to make sure that employees are receiving enough in tips that they are making at least minimum wage for all hours worked. If a server doesn’t reach the minimum wage amount by adding in the tips, then the employer must pay that difference to get the server up to minimum wage.
    https://www.goldstarlaw.com/is-a-waiter-or-waitress-exempt-from-minimum-wage-and-overtime/
    It appears a good portion of states are the same. What absolutely floors me is that the minimum threshold to screw tipped staff is $30 in tips... MONTHLY.
    https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/state/minimum-wage/tipped
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

From what I recall, servers only pool tips with the busboys, not the kitchen staff. For bars, it's pooled with barbacks.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        What did that server do to earn $20 that the chef who actually cooked, assembled, and plated the burger didn't?
        Do you refrain from fishing because you won’t catch all of the fish?

Do whatcha can with whatcha got.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

This morning, I made $62 alone, and someone went back and added a $5 tip. Made over $120 yesterday. If I can stay out long enough tonight, I can probably make another $70-ish. This has gone from "coffee and wine" money to "holy sh-t, I can pay my bills" money. And I was told if I drove in Grand Rapids, I can make even more money.

On the bright side, it's low impact (I'm not on my feet all the time) and people are being nice to me, so I'm going to ride this out.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
            This morning, I made $62 alone, and someone went back and added a $5 tip. Made over $120 yesterday. If I can stay out long enough tonight, I can probably make another $70-ish. This has gone from "coffee and wine" money to "holy sh-t, I can pay my bills" money. And I was told if I drove in Grand Rapids, I can make even more money.

On the bright side, it's low impact (I'm not on my feet all the time) and people are being nice to me, so I'm going to ride this out.
            Good to hear.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

You should absolutely take advantage while you can. It will never be more profitable to do it than it is during the Pandemic.

Just be safe out there...
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I was at a brewery last year and one of the bartenders had one of those "Ask me!" buttons with something else that looked like Fight For 15. So, we followed the button's directions and asked. She said it was actually a group that was against Fight For 15 because she felt she would make less money if she went to a wage rather than tips only. It was an interesting perspective, and certainly made sense that night, because it was packed on a beautiful summer Saturday night. Then I thought about those weeknights in January when there's no one coming in. However, I suppose at that point minimum wage is kicking in so they're still getting $9.25 or whatever it may be in their state, not like they're sitting around making $0 if the tips don't add up.

Anyway, it was interesting because you don't hear too often about opponents within the working class level of the industry.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I do...it always kind of shocks me when they say it but it is a larger number than you would think. There are factors behind it though that if you arent part of the service industry you might not get.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                      I was at a brewery last year and one of the bartenders had one of those "Ask me!" buttons with something else that looked like Fight For 15. So, we followed the button's directions and asked. She said it was actually a group that was against Fight For 15 because she felt she would make less money if she went to a wage rather than tips only. It was an interesting perspective, and certainly made sense that night, because it was packed on a beautiful summer Saturday night. Then I thought about those weeknights in January when there's no one coming in. However, I suppose at that point minimum wage is kicking in so they're still getting $9.25 or whatever it may be in their state, not like they're sitting around making $0 if the tips don't add up.

Anyway, it was interesting because you don't hear too often about opponents within the working class level of the industry.
                      They probably would. I remember one of the beertenders I know at my local brewery, and she makes $200 in tips on a good shift. That's one shift.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

There was a story I read this morning that I can't seem to find now, but it talked about how Metro Detroit is seeing wait times of up to two weeks to get a slot for grocery delivery. One woman finally got a slot a week out by waking up at 4am.
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                          There was a story I read this morning that I can't seem to find now, but it talked about how Metro Detroit is seeing wait times of up to two weeks to get a slot for grocery delivery. One woman finally got a slot a week out by waking up at 4am.
                          It's ridiculous. I gave up on delivery, I'm down to going out once per week, and I have to choose which store based on what items I want/need that week. And good luck getting any paper products, it's been what - 4 or 5 weeks since that first run on TP, paper towels, and wipes? None to be found, still. Talk about supply chain failure.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            It's ridiculous. I gave up on delivery, I'm down to going out once per week, and I have to choose which store based on what items I want/need that week. And good luck getting any paper products, it's been what - 4 or 5 weeks since that first run on TP, paper towels, and wipes? None to be found, still. Talk about supply chain failure.
                            My company just got 52 pallets of paper product in on Thu, put into stock overnight. Shipped over half of it out on Fri, mostly to Amazon and hospitals/care centers/etc. We are still running at about 5% of normal inventory on those types of things. The actual companies that make the paper products are running pretty much 24/7. Also, there are differences between commercial and personal use, and the companies can't just switch over from one to the other.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              I went this morning. Really busy but the store was fully stocked. Even shelves more than half full of TP. The store made all the aisles “one way” which was ok, but people were still passing one another.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Yeah I see TP pretty much anywhere I go right now. Of course I dont need any because I am not a psychopath with explosive diarrhea but whatever
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X