Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    If one has nothing better to do on a Saturday, go to a Subaru and spend an hour + buying a car..... then just before the final signature do the “oh wait, you support Fox News. Think I’ll go buy a car from another manufacturer “ and get up and leave
    Unless that specific dealership is a direct sponsor of Fox/FoxNews, that doesn't hurt Subaru Inc. one bit. That just hurts the dealership itself.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Screw Subaru. Buy a Mazda instead. More fun to drive, and their head gasket won't explode on you like a Subie.

And they're making a lot of all wheel drive models now, so there goes your only reason for wanting a Subie in the first place.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

Unless that specific dealership is a direct sponsor of Fox/FoxNews, that doesn't hurt Subaru Inc. one bit. That just hurts the dealership itself.
        Is that true? If the dealership can't move the unit it's all their loss? Like, they buy their inventory from the auto manufacturer and then the latter is out of the picture?

Huh. I never realized that. No wonder dealers are such sleazeballs -- that's terrifying for them.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Is that true? If the dealership can't move the unit it's all their loss? Like, they buy their inventory from the auto manufacturer and then the latter is out of the picture?

Huh. I never realized that. No wonder dealers are such sleazeballs -- that's terrifying for them.
          Yep. Dealers actually buy their inventory straight from the manufacturer and then turn around and sell them to us. Some vehicles they know they can make a profit on (ie: high volume cars, limited edition vehicles) and others they'll sell at a loss to get a sale.

Kinda like how gas stations make their profit on convenience store sales, dealerships make their profit on accessories and maintenance.

Some dealers will mark down their vehicles at the end of the quarter just to make a sale and clear their books so they can purchase new inventory. One dealership near me says if they don't sell a vehicle in 90 days, they send it to an auto auction.

Small town dealerships will sometimes purchase inventory from these auto auctions because they can get "new" vehicles on their lot cheaper than buying through the manufacturer.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Small town dealerships will sometimes purchase inventory from these auto auctions because they can get "new" vehicles on their lot cheaper than buying through the manufacturer.
            Where do they offload their unsold inventory?
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

No, dealerships don't 'buy' their product from the manufacturer. It's sorta like a lease. They get the cars, they pay the manufacturer a fee each month the vehicle remains on their lot, once they sell it, they pay the cost of the vehicle to the manufacturer, and pocket the profit. That's why they don't like holding on to inventory for a long time. The longer it stays, the lower their profit margin, which is why they mark down cars that have been there for a while, just so they can maybe break even on it.

Comment

Where do they offload their unsold inventory?
                Auction houses. Or the dealer offers them more money upfront so they can afford to sell them for less.

Not sure if it still works this way, but used to be, the manufacturers had a thing called "dealer holdback" which was like 2-3% of the car's wholesale cost. Dealer sells the car, pays off the manufacturer, but gets that 2-3% back for every vehicle they sell. Usually was only for American manufacturers, like Ford and Chevy, don't think the foreign guys did that. Or at least not as much.

That, and other incentives like I mentioned above, are how dealers can sell "under invoice" and still make a profit on each car. Also helps you when buying. If you know the car's wholesale cost(places like Edmunds or Consumer Reports can give you that info) and know that the dealer already has a profit of 3% coming, even if he sells the car to you at cost, you can bargain harder for the best price.
                Last edited by rufus; 01-09-2021, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

Auction houses. Or the dealer offers them more money upfront so they can afford to sell them for less.

Not sure if it still works this way, but used to be, the manufacturers had a thing called "dealer holdback" which was like 2-3% of the car's wholesale cost. Dealer sells the car, pays off the manufacturer, but gets that 2-3% back for every vehicle they sell. Usually was only for American manufacturers, like Ford and Chevy, don't think the foreign guys did that. Or at least not as much.

That, and other incentives like I mentioned above, are how dealers can sell "under invoice" and still make a profit on each car. Also helps you when buying. If you know the car's wholesale cost(places like Edmunds or Consumer Reports can give you that info) and know that the dealer already has a profit of 3% coming, even if he sells the car to you at cost, you can bargain harder for the best price.
                  I'm sure it was 3000% theatrics, but the sales guy at the dealership my wife and I bought our last three vehicles from showed us the cost the vehicle was to them and explained a little about the profit margin. They had the lowest price on the vehicles we bought with the option package we wanted.

Where they tried to get us everytime was on the "additional" items to be tacked on before the final price (like 'da tru-cooaaat' from Fargo). And they d*cked around with the financing, but we made it work. (Funny the things they'll do to cut the price an hour and a half *after* closing at the end of the quarter when they need to make one more sale...)

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Absolutely theatrics.

The last new car I bought, while I was at the desk negotiating, they had the car driven up and parked right outside the showroom windows where I couldn't help but see it. Then, the salesman got a phone call, "Yep, we have one, but I have a guy right here looking to buy it right now", which was either his manager or no one on the other end.

At first, I was like, oh crap, someone else wants to buy it, I have to hurry and get it, but a second later, I thought, no, this is the game they play to make me think if I don't do everything I can to buy this, pay whatever I have to, I'll lose it.

Crooks, every one of them.

Comment

Absolutely theatrics.

The last new car I bought, while I was at the desk negotiating, they had the car driven up and parked right outside the showroom windows where I couldn't help but see it. Then, the salesman got a phone call, "Yep, we have one, but I have a guy right here looking to buy it right now", which was either his manager or no one on the other end.

At first, I was like, oh crap, someone else wants to buy it, I have to hurry and get it, but a second later, I thought, no, this is the game they play to make me think if I don't do everything I can to buy this, pay whatever I have to, I'll lose it.

You're not wrong.

The newest car, the one that was done an hour and a half after close, my wife and I both, repeatedly, offered to come back the next day to finish the financing (the payoff of her old car was in question and the bank (that this dealership financed her through) only discussed payoff over the phone during business hours).

The finance guy, exasperated, finally went "do you remember how much is left? Even if you say there's less, I'll eat up to $1500 over what you say is left just to get this done."

I looked at my wife and told her to get that in writing; but they were good for their word, and did wind up eating almost a grand.

Every time we've bought a car through them, they're always 2-3k lower than other dealers when we compare. But they also do *way* more volume than the other dealers so they can cut their profits a little thinner every so often.
                      Last edited by aparch; 01-10-2021, 01:03 AM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Google floor plan if you want to know how new car dealerships put cars on the lot.
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Absolutely theatrics.

I've had dealers try the four square with me. I just get up and leave. If they are that crooked even if I successfully get the price I want I am convinced they will somehow screw me someplace else.

One of the VA dealerships that tried that on me was hit with a massive class action finding against them a few years later. It was the type of place you would see ads for them in every car on the Metro orange line (where rich bureaucrats who are still a little too poor to have drivers commute).
                          Last edited by Kepler; 01-10-2021, 02:21 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Google floor plan if you want to know how new car dealerships put cars on the lot.
                            Very true. My last trial (just before Thanksgiving...may have been the last civil trial in Colorado) involved, in part, an issue pertaining to floor planning for a used motorcycle dealership. Learned way more about how vehicles (in my case, used vehicles) are financed than I ever needed. It was not very interesting to the jury though. : - p
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Holy hell, I never learned about this in school. (Hat tip: Charley Patton, Deep Water Everywhere Part 1)

This happened in my (still living) Mom's lifetime. Black sharecroppers were legally held by landowners -- they did not have the right to leave.

Those were the days when successful job creators weren't held down by gubmint red tape and job killing regulation.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 01-10-2021, 02:56 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Holy hell, I never learned about this in school. (Hat tip: Charley Patton, Deep Water Everywhere Part 1)

This happened in my (still living) Mom's lifetime. Black sharecroppers were legally held by landowners -- they did not have the right to leave.

Those were the days when successful job creators weren't held down by gubmint red tape and job killing regulation.
                                https://youtu.be/1N4IgyvhDEA
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X