X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Re: Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

While I agree with Handy that this situation is extreme what's not being acknowledged here is that the way the United States is set up there are no shock absorbers built into the system to cushion the blow. We as a society decided that we wanted a profit driven system with just in time manufacture and delivery. Look at how under Trump the stockpiles we do have went unmaintained. Masks that were rotted ship to New York. Machines that didn't work shipped to California. No startup of masks and ventilators in January. We cut the pandemic response team and pulled them out of numerous countries before this occurred. The "extra" trillion dollars the Republicans thought we had went to the 1% just a couple of years ago. We have antiquated Employment insurance, sick leave, vacation time, and pay scales for all our workers.

I could go on and on.
    Yeah, there is just no end to these problems.

Comment

• Well there would have been if after they realized how bad they screwed up they had taken steps to fix the issues they caused. Instead they abdicated all responsibility to the states and went on a misinformation campaign that literally destroyed the economy and killed hundreds of thousands.

Now they spend all their time trying to pretend Trump won the election instead of doing anything to help the people.

But as soon as Jan 20 hits you will see them all of a sudden truly care about how bad the people have it. Just like they will all of a sudden care about budgets and the deficit.
      Last edited by Handyman; 12-04-2020, 10:47 AM.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

This... is awesome.

it’s like an example of this board :d
        (except this shows current salaries and not what everyone was making ~10 yrs ago )
        No, not really.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          As someone who teaches negotiation I can tell you if the other side refuses to negotiate you don't just keep making your offer worse in the hopes they change their mind. You turn up the heat publicly. By endorsing this deal you are basically saying Mitch is right that larger Stimulus isnt needed and he will definitely not move.

For as good as Nancy is at somethings...this is the crap she is never good at. If the Dems were doing what Mitch is doing the GOP would be on TV every hour throwing gasoline on them all and lighting matches. The Dems just sit back and assume the GOP will do the right thing. They are too old to govern in the current climate.
          Joe Adjusting Agenda sounds to me an awful lot like someone who needs to sign up for that negotiations class of yours?
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

This... is awesome.

it’s like an example of this board :d
            (except this shows current salaries and not what everyone was making ~10 yrs ago )
            Oh mookie, always sometimes good for a laugh.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Joe isnt negotiating. (cause he doesnt really have the power to yet) If he asked me (and why the hell would he do that) I would tell him his thinking is antiquated. He isnt wrong, in a normal political climate you pass the crap bill then pass more bills to build it up more. That was the plan with the original Stimulus too. It was supposed to be the first step, get things back on track and then we would fix what needs fixing as we go. By May the GOP killed that plan fast because Trump had his advisors telling the country that we had already beaten the virus and we could re-open. There was a minor extension given on the extra unemployment money but that is it. Since half this country believes every word he spews there was no push for more help. Then George Floyd is murdered and all hell breaks loose...

If I thought for one second Mitch would pass any bills to bolster things once Biden takes over I would agree with Joe. He won't and he doesn't even pretend he will. He has zero interest in helping anyone, especially when a Dem is President. The Bipartisan Bill was a great idea and I applaud all involved for trying even if it sucks (my contempt for Pelosi and Schumer is that they shouldnt be endorsing it after the public displays they made and because they are toxic) but since we only really have one shot at this it just isnt enough. Joe and the Dems need to treat this Stimulus the way they need to treat his term...a one shot deal to fix what is broken. Barring the GA runoffs going perfect Mitch is going to control the Senate and we can't count on Romney or Collins or Murkowski to vote against him. Whatever gets passed has to help everyone, or in reality it is not going to save the economy. The only way PPP should be accepted is with another round (or two or three) of Stimulus checks for the taxpayers and unemployment extensions/supplements until the vaccine is widely circulated and experts agree to a large opening up. Period. End of story. Anything less is like kicking a FG down by 30 with 5 minutes to go.

We will see though. The looming shutdown changes things a bit as well.
              Last edited by Handyman; 12-04-2020, 11:44 AM.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Joe isnt negotiating. (cause he doesnt really have the power to yet) If he asked me (and why the hell would he do that) I would tell him his thinking is antiquated. He isnt wrong, in a normal political climate you pass the crap bill then pass more bills to build it up more. That was the plan with the original Stimulus too. It was supposed to be the first step, get things back on track and then we would fix what needs fixing as we go. By May the GOP killed that plan fast because Trump had his advisors telling the country that we had already beaten the virus and we could re-open. There was a minor extension given on the extra unemployment money but that is it. Since half this country believes every word he spews there was no push for more help. Then George Floyd is murdered and all hell breaks loose...

If I thought for one second Mitch would pass any bills to bolster things once Biden takes over I would agree with Joe. He won't and he doesn't even pretend he will. He has zero interest in helping anyone, especially when a Dem is President. The Bipartisan Bill was a great idea and I applaud all involved for trying even if it sucks (my contempt for Pelosi and Schumer is that they shouldnt be endorsing it after the public displays they made and because they are toxic) but since we only really have one shot at this it just isnt enough. Joe and the Dems need to treat this Stimulus the way they need to treat his term...a one shot deal to fix what is broken. Barring the GA runoffs going perfect Mitch is going to control the Senate and we can't count on Romney or Collins or Murkowski to vote against him. Whatever gets passed has to help everyone, or in reality it is not going to save the economy. The only way PPP should be accepted is with another round (or two or three) of Stimulus checks for the taxpayers and unemployment extensions/supplements until the vaccine is widely circulated and experts agree to a large opening up. Period. End of story. Anything less is like kicking a FG down by 30 with 5 minutes to go.

We will see though. The looming shutdown changes things a bit as well.
                I imagine it's possible Shumer and Pelosi are endorsing it because they have caucus members who are as angry about the bill as you or I and may want to just say no. Then nothing gets through.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

I imagine it's possible Shumer and Pelosi are endorsing it because they have caucus members who are as angry about the bill as you or I and may want to just say no. Then nothing gets through.
                  Fair point...from the outside though it makes them look friggin stupid. If that is the case though my anger towards them is mitigated a bit.
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Fair point...from the outside though it makes them look friggin stupid. If that is the case though my anger towards them is mitigated a bit.
                    I doubt they look stupid to anyone outside the top decile of the politically aware. As I've said 200 times optics no longer matters, but for the Great Unwashed it always looks better to be the one apparently offering the olive branch than the one slapping it away.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

it's like an example of this board
                      No. It has non-whites.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Republicans: "I've got a really sh*tty idea!"

Democrats: "Ohhh, and I know how to make it even sh*ttier!"
                        This is actually marriage.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Even crazier think about this cast for Godspell when it was in Toronto:

Victor Garber
                          Eugene Levy
                          Andrea Martin
                          Dave Thomas
                          Martin Short
                          Musical Director Paul Schaffer
                          And that was roughly at the level of community pick-up theater, when they were all in the their early 20s.

It's like what if Seaver, Carlton, and Catfish Hunter were your Babe Ruth local team rotation at 13.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

No. It has non-whites.
                            has there been a The Darkness sighting?
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

No. It has non-whites.
                              But..........The Darkness!!!
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

has there been a The Darkness sighting?
                                terrierbyassociation, too. Actual Indian, not the American variety.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X