Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Not me- many have. The city said the lowest is usually around 16k, some of the mansions in west Edina (like suter and spurgeon hood) were closer to 30k with more property line.

when I was in mpls, I paid 1300 lol

my Edina road was done before I bought and it’s not on the planned map again.

the worst- there are a few families in Edina who paid over 20k for assessment, sold and moved to a different Edina location that was NOT on the published 3 year plan. Then the city changed it and they got hit for another 20k two years after paying the first.

you can imagine the anger. I think moving to property taxes is better but everyone who’s already paid is big, big mad
    Oooof

i still can't believe it was 16k. That's psychotic. If I were a cakeeater I'd ask for all documents related to the bid process.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Oooof

i still can't believe it was 16k. That's psychotic. If I were a cakeeater I'd ask for all documents related to the bid process.
      It’s also why so much of Edina is against sidewalks. They have had to pay for them. The city only removes snow from sidewalks if you’re a Main Street or within 3 blocks of a school. Walking around here is maddening because most streets won’t have a sidewalk

Comment

It’s also why so much of Edina is against sidewalks. They have had to pay for them. The city only removes snow from sidewalks if you’re a Main Street or within 3 blocks of a school. Walking around here is maddening because most streets won’t have a sidewalk
        Jesus. I don't think GDO assesses main roads or sidewalks. And we clean every sidewalk every snowstorm. For a pennies compared to Edina.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Jesus. I don't think GDO assesses main roads or sidewalks. And we clean every sidewalk every snowstorm. For a pennies compared to Edina.
          Best part is the city employs a full time sidewalk inspector…

Comment

Best part is the city employs a full time sidewalk inspector…
            Live Look:

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

the worst- there are a few families in Edina who paid over 20k for assessment, sold and moved to a different Edina location that was NOT on the published 3 year plan. Then the city changed it and they got hit for another 20k two years after paying the first.

you can imagine the anger. I think moving to property taxes is better but everyone who’s already paid is big, big mad
              You're going to see a lot of cities moving to a system where the repair or replacement costs are just added to the budget, and not assessed.

Street assessments used to be pretty standard, typically done on a front foot basis. The bigger the lot fronting the street, the higher the assessment. The logic behind assessments, rather than including it in the general tax obligations, is that streets will be repaired or replaced on a need basis, and not based upon the political or economic power of certain individuals. If it's part of the general tax obligations, those with the most political or economic power will likely get their streets repaired first.

The law in Minnesota has always been that front foot assessments are legal, as a method. But sort of an unspoken part of the law is that the amount of the assessment cannot exceed the amount of the benefit to your property. Thus, if they assess you $16,000, they better be able to prove that the value of your property increased by at least $16,000.

The thing is, no one ever really fought the cities on this (can't fight city hall?). But recently that has changed. Honestly, even in a City like Edina it would probably be pretty hard to prove that your house increased in value by $25,000 just because you got a new street and curb. Plus, it's sort of an impossible proof problem. How does the City prove that?

I remember reading a story in the StarTrib about a very recent case out of St. Paul, I think, where the City got crushed in one of these challenges. I think the result is going to be that pretty much all cities are just going to include it as part of the cost borne by the taxpayers as a whole, which sucks for anyone who recently paid an assessment, I guess.

Also, as I recall our earlier discussion, I think we were talking about the large gain you've experienced in the value of your house. I am not a CPA, so take this with a grain of salt, but make sure you fit in all the rules for excluding some or all of that gain. I think you need to be in the house for a certain period of time. Also, I think that you can't use that exclusion if you used it recently.

Good luck on the sale.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

You're going to see a lot of cities moving to a system where the repair or replacement costs are just added to the budget, and not assessed.

Street assessments used to be pretty standard, typically done on a front foot basis. The bigger the lot fronting the street, the higher the assessment. The logic behind assessments, rather than including it in the general tax obligations, is that streets will be repaired or replaced on a need basis, and not based upon the political or economic power of certain individuals. If it's part of the general tax obligations, those with the most political or economic power will likely get their streets repaired first.

The law in Minnesota has always been that front foot assessments are legal, as a method. But sort of an unspoken part of the law is that the amount of the assessment cannot exceed the amount of the benefit to your property. Thus, if they assess you $16,000, they better be able to prove that the value of your property increased by at least $16,000.

The thing is, no one ever really fought the cities on this (can't fight city hall?). But recently that has changed. Honestly, even in a City like Edina it would probably be pretty hard to prove that your house increased in value by $25,000 just because you got a new street and curb. Plus, it's sort of an impossible proof problem. How does the City prove that?

I remember reading a story in the StarTrib about a very recent case out of St. Paul, I think, where the City got crushed in one of these challenges. I think the result is going to be that pretty much all cities are just going to include it as part of the cost borne by the taxpayers as a whole, which sucks for anyone who recently paid an assessment, I guess.

Also, as I recall our earlier discussion, I think we were talking about the large gain you've experienced in the value of your house. I am not a CPA, so take this with a grain of salt, but make sure you fit in all the rules for excluding some or all of that gain. I think you need to be in the house for a certain period of time. Also, I think that you can't use that exclusion if you used it recently.

Good luck on the sale.
                Thanks for the tip. Been here just over 5 years, plan to call accountant soon. Good news is that I’m unemployed so next year my income should be lower

Comment

"10 lines of code per engineer per day" is about two orders of magnitude lower than I would have guessed. But it also makes me significantly happier and quite a bit more secure flying

It's like students/teacher. Probably better if that number stays under three digits :-D

edit: holy hell. That's very roughly a line of code per hour. It's just really funny to think about that and imagine someone two-finger pecking at a keyboard.
                  Yeah, well, of that hour, it’s 30 seconds to write the code, and then 59 minutes and 30 seconds documenting and testing the ever-loving spit out of it.

But I hope you don’t literally mean two orders of magnitude - 1000 lines per person per day terrifies me!
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Been here just over 5 years, plan to call accountant soon. Good news is that I’m unemployed so next year my income should be lower
                    Def check with an accountant but I believe if you have been in a place two years the first $500k of increase is free(at least as far as federal taxes go.)

If you do get a decent amount of cash one good thing right now is you can get a nice return on it relatively risk free.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Kinda surprised that it passed under the radar of everyone but Alaska Airlines has agreed to buy Hawaiian Airlines.

The plan seems to be to keep them separate but with the same management.

Kind of weird move since Alaska uses 737s almost exclusively, they finally got rid of their A320s, but Hawaiian uses 717s for their inter-Island routes and A320s, A321s, and A330s for their medium and long routes. Hawaiian also flies long haul international routes to Australia, Japan, New Zealand, and South Korea, something Alaska has never even considered.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                        Yeah, well, of that hour, it’s 30 seconds to write the code, and then 59 minutes and 30 seconds documenting and testing the ever-loving spit out of it.

But I hope you don’t literally mean two orders of magnitude - 1000 lines per person per day terrifies me!
                        And providing evidence that every step was taken according to procedure AND that everything was documented AND the auditors reviewed and signed off.

I worked on medical device software where a bug in the application could kill a patient. Coding is easy. The testing, documenting, auditing, etc. is the real killer (pun intended).

As an aside, another software product from the same company had a bug that prevented a sophisticated blood refrigerator door from opening which prevented a newborn from receiving a transfusion. The company avoided being sued in this case because the baby was deemed so far gone that the emergency transfusion they were attempting was basically a hail mary. Fortunately I wasn't involved in the paperwork on that one. Yuk.

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

Yeah for some reason my brain translated that to 100-200 when I wrote it. 1,000 would be insane unless you're pulling from existing repositories. But that's not writing, that's adding libraries.
                          Code:

Comment

• Holy ****ing christ

tesla made every electrical component part of a profibus network on cybertruck. Oh my god.

Including the taillights. That's their drive by wire system.
                            Code:

Comment

• What does that mean?
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Every component is addressable. Think of it like a Roku on your home network. It gets an IP addresss and if you replace it you need to set the IP addresss again.

now, your network at home is smart enough and simple enough to automatically assign a new addfesss. My understanding of profibus is that's not how it works. Everything needs to have its address set manually.

worse yet, if they're particularly dumb, they daisy chained the components. Meaning if the upstream component fails, everything downstream does too. We sometimes do this in industrial automation so we don't have to pull wires back to the central controller. Which is insanely expensive in explosive atmospheres where the controller might be 1000 feet away. No reasonale engineer would do this in a car where the longest run is like 15 feet.

But you generally wouldn't daisy chain a critical control element. I don't have faith that Tesla has hired the right industrial controls engineers who understand how to intelligently setup a profibus network.

lady I checked in with the profibus systems I was involved with, they were tearing them all out to something more reliable.
                                Last edited by dxmnkd316; 12-05-2023, 12:39 AM.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X