No announcement yet.

Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joke's on you for believing those fudged gubmint numbers, Slappy! My gut tells me so. ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      Colorado legislature has introduced a bill to quadruple taxes on short term rental properties
      Now do non-primary residences.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Now do non-primary residences.
        Yes.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          A MAGA tard on Twitter whined that the McChicken is $2 more than it was "like 2 years ago" and blamed Biden. About that:

-The current inflation rate is 3.24% in the U.S. 3 years ago it was 2.2%.
          -3 years ago McDonald's profit margin was 25.9%. Today it is 34.6%.

Globally the IR is 6.9%, the EU 4.9%, Germany 3.8%, Norway 4%, UK 4.6%, 4.9% where I live, South Korea 3.8%, Japan 3%, etc., etc.

Also: https://home.treasury.gov/news/featu...l-context-2023

You can't fix stupid, including Chuck and Whalers.
          It doesn't help that the media ignores all of this. The average story on the economy will focus on two things (if it wants to play both sides) and that is low unemployment and higher prices. When they go negative it is all prices and no context for anything. Everyone complains that the Dems arent getting the message out...they are it is just drown out by corporate media telling us to ignore the numbers and everyone else's experience think about how much stuff cost 3 years ago! Pay no attention to our other stories on the ridiculously high corporate profits that is just a coincidence!
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            It doesn't help that the media ignores all of this. The average story on the economy will focus on two things (if it wants to play both sides) and that is low unemployment and higher prices. When they go negative it is all prices and no context for anything. Everyone complains that the Dems arent getting the message out...they are it is just drown out by corporate media telling us to ignore the numbers and everyone else's experience think about how much stuff cost 3 years ago! Pay no attention to our other stories on the ridiculously high corporate profits that is just a coincidence!
            "Statistics show that inflation is slowing and corporate profits are at an all-time high. But the patrons of this southwestern Pennsylvania bar & grill aren't so sure about that." -MSM

Comment

• Srsly.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• I'm kinda with SJHovey on the Tesla thing. F the company, their owner and their products. They get no benefit of the doubt and I'm 100% sure they're just being ****ty.

However, f resellers, f scalpers. This practice is fairly common in super cars too, as far as I'm aware. Like, if you buy a Ferrari (after waiting years), I don't believe you're allowed to sell it for some time.

The Cyberjunk /= a supercar, obviously

Also, you don't need to buy it. In fact, don't buy it.
                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                  Colorado legislature has introduced a bill to quadruple taxes on short term rental properties

keep it coming
                  From a consumer standpoint I don't know that it's that ideal.

I assume this is directed towards all of the people who own condos in Vail, Aspen, etc... I imagine that if you are an average Joe, your ability to own a condo in Vail is nil unless you can rent it out 11 months out of the year.

Personally I've always thought that it's a bit unfair for the Airbnb industry to benefit from not having to deal with the regulations and taxes that a commercial hotel has to deal with, so this will go some ways towards correcting it. However, I expect the end result will be that the accountant from Denver who owns the condo at the ski resort will have to sell it, where it will be bought up either by the ultra rich, who don't need the rental income to make ownership possible, or by property management companies who are effectively hoteliers anyway, and will bury the tax costs in their rental rates.

I doubt very much that it's going to cause condo prices to plummet to the point where I'll pick one up.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

"Statistics show that inflation is slowing and corporate profits are at an all-time high. But the patrons of this southwestern Pennsylvania bar & grill aren't so sure about that." -MSM
                    That is pretty much it. They have taken the "Trumper in a Small Midwestern Cafe" and applied it to everything. What's funny is, they always fall for their own BS. They ask "Franny" in Bumbphuck, Nowheresville what is bothering her and it is always whatever talking point Faux spews. Instead of using it as one of many datapoints they extrapolate it to everyone in Nowheresville and then further extrapolate that to the entire US as serves their agenda. All data shows Abortion is the #1 issue and it isn't close...it has literally flipped politics on its head! Yet if you believe MSM the average citizen cares more about crime, the border, Inflation...etc. (especially since polling shows those are not things Biden/Dems have high marks on) Yet despite all of that Dems continue to overperform and corporate media just can't seem to figure out why?!?!
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Yeah, **** this economic model. The entire thing is based on rich people rearranging the deck chairs to squeeze more and more money out of everyone while ****ing the average worker.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                        I'm kinda with SJHovey on the Tesla thing. F the company, their owner and their products. They get no benefit of the doubt and I'm 100% sure they're just being ****ty.

However, f resellers, f scalpers. This practice is fairly common in super cars too, as far as I'm aware. Like, if you buy a Ferrari (after waiting years), I don't believe you're allowed to sell it for some time.

The Cyberjunk /= a supercar, obviously

Also, you don't need to buy it. In fact, don't buy it.
                        I am fine with them preventing resale...there are better ways to do it IMHO.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

From a consumer standpoint I don't know that it's that ideal.

I assume this is directed towards all of the people who own condos in Vail, Aspen, etc... I imagine that if you are an average Joe, your ability to own a condo in Vail is nil unless you can rent it out 11 months out of the year.

Personally I've always thought that it's a bit unfair for the Airbnb industry to benefit from not having to deal with the regulations and taxes that a commercial hotel has to deal with, so this will go some ways towards correcting it. However, I expect the end result will be that the accountant from Denver who owns the condo at the ski resort will have to sell it, where it will be bought up either by the ultra rich, who don't need the rental income to make ownership possible, or by property management companies who are effectively hoteliers anyway, and will bury the tax costs in their rental rates.

I doubt very much that it's going to cause condo prices to plummet to the point where I'll pick one up.
                          I don’t think the intention is to make resort places more affordable. And it won’t make large changes quickly in those places

but the tax revenue can be used to build more housing. Which is badly needed. And it can discourage some rich people to not enter this kind of investment scheme.

as kep said it should just be taxing all non primary homes up the wazoo- and even when that happens, ultra rich people won’t care and you know that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

I am fine with them preventing resale...there are better ways to do it IMHO.
                            I don't know enough to disagree with you, so I'll take your word for it.

In sum, f tesla.
                            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I thought the point of it was to prevent people from getting into line for an EV, getting it, then immediately flipping it to someone else? Didn't Ford do the same thing with their EV truck and the EV Mustang?

You guys are against investors buying houses and then flipping them to make a profit. Why not cars too?
                              They can do it for all I care, I just find the hypocrisy amusing.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

In sum, f tesla.
                                This is all that needs saying :^)
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X