This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't a paid internship just a job?

My taxes went upwent that wasn't surprising. Our house also went up in value and it isn't likely to drop even with a crash.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      Shareholders don't care about movie critics or what fans say they want. They care about money. If the public don't want things like Spiderman 5 or Guardians 3 then don't buy tickets. As you say, people stopped buying tickets to Transformers movies and they stopped making them. People have been talking about superhero fatigue for the better part of a decade now and all the while Disney has made billions of dollars making superhero films. Maybe BP2 is underperforming but it had already made its budget back after about 10 days and every dime it makes now is pure profit.

Word is a group of executives went to the board (Iger) and expressed a lack of confidence in Chapek and demanded his ouster. Chapek and his people are supposedly stunned by these events. This is all unofficial and anonymous, of course, since no one is going to say it on the record.
      It's thinking like this that got WB in trouble and it will do in Di$ney too if they aren't smart. You can't just assume if you put out mediocre products people will just continue to accept it. Fantastic Beasts proved that and so did Star Wars.

If all that matters is the profit motive you will kill the golden goose.
      Last edited by Handyman; 11-21-2022, 11:11 PM.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Nobody ever went broke underestimating the public. They have built a perfect machine for squeezing money out of the rubes. They will keep priming them and then harvesting them forever. I do not think the MCU will ever end. There is simply no shortage of that type of money.

This is like sports or soap operas. It is forever.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• There's only like 2 or 3 soap operas left these days. Only a matter of time before the expense vs ratings ratio kills the last of them.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Nobody ever went broke underestimating the public. They have built a perfect machine for squeezing money out of the rubes. They will keep priming them and then harvesting them forever. I do not think the MCU will ever end. There is simply no shortage of that type of money.

Soap operas are dying...

Speaking of dying Tesla is having another stellar week...

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1...ePDK0eaRg&s=19

Tesla is recalling more than 321,000 vehicles in the U.S. because tail lights may intermittently fail to illuminate, the company says.
            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• B-b-b-b-b-b-but it's fixed with an over the air update!!!! NO OTHER CARS CAN DO THAT!!!
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                B-b-b-b-b-b-but it's fixed with an over the air update!!!! NO OTHER CARS CAN DO THAT!!!
                Not sure what you mean by this, but this "recall" can be fixed via an update.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

Not sure what you mean by this, but this "recall" can be fixed via an update.
                  I mean, all the Muskovites are saying this isn't a real recall, it's just a software bug.

Like, dude, tailights shouldn't need software. They should just work. This is absolutely a recall. They're a critical safety function. No different than headlights, wipers, airbags, and seatbelts. They are there to make sure you and everyone else on the road is safe. If they don't work because someone forgot to close a for-loop, then yikes...

The second half of my comment was regarding how this is somewhat novel to the Muskovites. It's not. Other companies have been doing this for a long time with actual software bugs.
                  Code:
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I mean, all the Muskovites are saying this isn't a real recall, it's just a software bug.

Like, dude, tailights shouldn't need software. They should just work. This is absolutely a recall. They're a critical safety function. No different than headlights, wipers, airbags, and seatbelts. They are there to make sure you and everyone else on the road is safe. If they don't work because someone forgot to close a for-loop, then yikes...

The second half of my comment was regarding how this is somewhat novel to the Muskovites. It's not. Other companies have been doing this for a long time with actual software bugs.
                    This.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• I'll just add. My 2003 car wouldn't even engage the transmission to drive if the circuit to the brake lights didn't complete. (Turned out to be a wiring harness that broke free.)

Teslas are the most dangerous cars on the road. Too much software. Too much driver confidence. Not enough sensors or correct sensors. Just all around insane that they were even allowed "FSD" to be enabled. Insane. It's not even gained full NHTSA approval yet, but it's allowed to be used on the roads by consumers. Insane. Insane. Insane.
                      Code:

Comment

• It's not a bug. It's an undocumented feature.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

It's thinking like this that got WB in trouble and it will do in Di$ney too if they aren't smart. You can't just assume if you put out mediocre products people will just continue to accept it. Fantastic Beasts proved that and so did Star Wars.

If all that matters is the profit motive you will kill the golden goose.
                          Incidentally, they didn't stop making Transformers movies. There's a seventh one in production at Paramount slated for a June 9 (6/9 HA! Get it?) release date. But they have scaled back on the budget. It's only $200 million this time.

Allegedly (allegedly!) among those executives who went to the board to get Chapek fired were Kevin Feige, Sean Bailey and Jim Morris. Also known as the heads of Marvel, Walt Disney Pictures and Pixar. The board fired him by phone and said their lawyers would be in touch. Savage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Nobody ever went broke underestimating the public. They have built a perfect machine for squeezing money out of the rubes. They will keep priming them and then harvesting them forever. I do not think the MCU will ever end. There is simply no shortage of that type of money.

There’s always an end. Sometimes it’s short, sometimes it’s long, but it’s always there.

An example I always like to point towards for these types of “It’s popular until it’s not” is ABC with Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

First it debuted I think with two days a week. It bumped ABC to the top of the ratings from third place and they went all in. Hosting a game show in prime time five nights a week. It only took two years for people to get sick of it and their ratings tanked again.
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

There’s always an end. Sometimes it’s short, sometimes it’s long, but it’s always there.

An example I always like to point towards for these types of “It’s popular until it’s not” is ABC with Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

First it debuted I think with two days a week. It bumped ABC to the top of the ratings from third place and they went all in. Hosting a game show in prime time five nights a week. It only took two years for people to get sick of it and their ratings tanked again.
                              It was a fad. I don't think anyone at ABC thought putting a gameshow in primetime would be a permanent thing. They jumped on the fad while it was hot, milked it for all they could, then put it in syndication and made another boatload of money. On the other end of the spectrum, who would have thought a game of hangman would be one of the most profitable shows of all-time and still going strong after decades at the top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                                There's only like 2 or 3 soap operas left these days. Only a matter of time before the expense vs ratings ratio kills the last of them.
                                OK but they ran for 70 years.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X