No announcement yet.

Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spent four hours talking whisky and politics (only planned for a single dram but that was abandoned unknowingly) with an incredible bartender in Oban. I thought it was incredibly interesting how he despised the idea of a democratic union where Scotland gets ****ed because of the population difference between Scotland and London.

I won't be surprised if Ireland reunifies, Scotland goes independent in the next couple years. I know this isn't news to anyone paying attention, but holy Christ are they upset at brexit.

Anyways, this was probably a top two or three bar experience I've ever had. It was the bartender, mrs dx, and me for four hours (only interrupted by three guys looking for a pint for half an hour). We just chatted like we were friends who went back decades.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Side note DX, the picture you paint of Ireland on your trip makes me want to go visit. It sounds like it's been amazing.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• I stan the Ronald Reagan slander TikTok accounts...
        https://www.tiktok.com/@victoriaalxn...70542313655594

Trickledown economics has never worked. Eat the rich.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Scotland goes independent in the next couple years.
          I don't think this happens as long as the Tories remain in power. They've said multiple times that they won't allow another referendum, and it's my understanding that any alternative path is non-binding and requires a certifying vote of the UK parliament.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

I don't think this happens as long as the Tories remain in power. They've said multiple times that they won't allow another referendum, and it's my understanding that any alternative path is non-binding and requires a certifying vote of the UK parliament.
            Unless something changes substantially, they'll stay in power until the next election (which may be forced to come sooner than they'd like). I don't think we can overstate just how angry people are at that party right now.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ta-comres-poll

I've seen other polls where the conservatives get nearly completely wiped out.
            Last edited by Swansong; 10-04-2022, 12:05 PM.
            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Unless something changes substantially, they'll stay in power until the next election. I don't think we can overstate just how angry people are at that party right now.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ta-comres-poll

I've seen other polls where the conservatives get nearly completely wiped out.
              Yeah, they have two years left before they’re forced to go to election (and that’s assuming no one forces one before then). It’ll almost certainly be some coalition of Labour, LibDem, and the SNP taking over. And the SNP will absolutely force a referendum.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                Yeah, they have two years left before they’re forced to go to election (and that’s assuming no one forces one before then). It’ll almost certainly be some coalition of Labour, LibDem, and the SNP taking over. And the SNP will absolutely force a referendum.
                Tory MPs are already griping about Truss, barely a month in. That usually takes a season or two before the backbiting starts. If things don't turn around in a hurry (and they won't) I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of Tories call for a vote of no confidence themselves - or not block a Labour Party call - and then switch sides. Congress critters will never vote themselves out, but they also know how to read headwinds.
                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Tory MPs are already griping about Truss, barely a month in. That usually takes a season or two before the backbiting starts. If things don't turn around in a hurry (and they won't) I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of Tories call for a vote of no confidence themselves - or not block a Labour Party call - and then switch sides. Congress critters will never vote themselves out, but they also know how to read headwinds.
                  The Tories will just force another leadership election (Truss wasn’t the pick of a majority of MPs anyway) before they force a general election.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Literal shot of a Tory speech

https://twitter.com/pravg/status/157...RIlIhV4Hhsz1SQ

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Spent four hours talking whisky and politics (only planned for a single dram but that was abandoned unknowingly) with an incredible bartender in Oban. I thought it was incredibly interesting how he despised the idea of a democratic union where Scotland gets ****ed because of the population difference between Scotland and London.

I won't be surprised if Ireland reunifies, Scotland goes independent in the next couple years. I know this isn't news to anyone paying attention, but holy Christ are they upset at brexit.

Anyways, this was probably a top two or three bar experience I've ever had. It was the bartender, mrs dx, and me for four hours (only interrupted by three guys looking for a pint for half an hour). We just chatted like we were friends who went back decades.
                      I was there in 2011, when the "Independence Movement" was in full swing and it didn't pass then. I get they are mad but I highly doubt it happens. I hope I am wrong but their hatred of the Brits has always been trumped in the end by something.

United Ireland I could maybe see though...
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        I was there in 2011, when the "Independence Movement" was in full swing and it didn't pass then. I get they are mad but I highly doubt it happens.
                        Really? I think it is inevitable. They only missed by about 5 points last time, and since then the English have been even more idiotic and incompetent than usual, which is a very high bar.

Now, personally, I have a dream of a world entirely unencumbered by the Anglo-Saxon trailer trash of all nations that has encumbered Western history for the last millennium, but in the interregnum we should at least hope the individual groups of derp spawn get to roll in the sewage of their own self-determination. And arguably the Scots have managed to keep themselves pretty clear of that stench anyway and can go join the Faroe Islands with their Daneslaw ilk.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• As the Protestant population of N. Ireland continues to shrink over the next decade, I think Irish reunification is inevitable. Particularly as the rest of the UK continues its decline, the Catholic majority will want to reunite under a Dublin government that has done a very good job of marketing Ireland as the new business gateway to the EU.

Scottish independence is another animal entirely. I get that a lot of them are hot under the collar about Brexit, but culturally I think it's more complicated than that.

Comment

As the Protestant population of N. Ireland continues to shrink over the next decade, I think Irish reunification is inevitable. Particularly as the rest of the UK continues its decline, the Catholic majority will want to reunite under a Dublin government that has done a very good job of marketing Ireland as the new business gateway to the EU.

Scottish independence is another animal entirely. I get that a lot of them are hot under the collar about Brexit, but culturally I think it's more complicated than that.
                            I'm sure you know better than I. I thought the Scots merely detested the English, as opposed to the Irish who actively hate them.

I can't see the Protestants losing their occupation state without ultraviolence unless the English throw a canvas bag over them and punt them back over the Irish sea to Blackpool or whatever Mas-shole-like sewer they emerged from.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I think Brexit has complicated things and as the Tories continue to wreck the UK economy it only drives more to the SNP and independence. The economic factor was always the main sticking point in the independence debate but the UK economy isn’t what it was in 2014.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                I think Brexit has complicated things and as the Tories continue to wreck the UK economy it only drives more to the SNP and independence. The economic factor was always the main sticking point in the independence debate but the UK economy isn’t what it was in 2014.
                                Another thing is the EU has said the UK will never darken their towels again. OTOH, Ireland is in, and Scotland, Wales, and for that matter England are welcome.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X