Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fox News won't let me see articles unless I disable my ad blocker.

    So, I guess I won't be bothering with that garbage site anymore.





    Drat.
    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

    Comment


    • Maura Healey has a bold plan to fix housing in MA https://www.boston.com/news/politics...iscoll-housing
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

      Comment


      • Coincidentally, no one but the White House talked about gas prices for 99 days.

        https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1...feJOc9J0FM0r7A
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

        1966, 1986, 2007

        Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

        Comment


        • Can someone explain to me like I'm five how inflation is continually calculated? Like, media (and GOP) tout an 8% inflation rate, and have for almost a year, meanwhile, month over month, certain items were shown to have zero (or relatively zero) inflation to them (ie: three months of falling gas prices).

          Like, if it's a rolling average, shouldnt inflation be leveling off?

          And for everyone trumpeting the 8% inflation, are they forgetting how everything being shutdown in 2020 made inflation 0% or negative?
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

          Live Radio from 100.3

          Comment


          • It’s calculated over 12 months. So July 2022 is compared to July 2021. August 2022 compared to August 2021.

            If you line the months up on a graph, the increase in inflation is plateauing, but when the new monthly report comes out, it’s going to be reported as prices being x% more than this month last year.
            Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 09-22-2022, 10:44 AM.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

            1966, 1986, 2007

            Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              It’s calculated over 12 months. So July 2022 is compared to July 2021. August 2022 compared to August 2021.

              If you line the months up on a graph, the increase inflation is plateauing, but when the new monthly report comes out, it’s going to be reported as prices being x% more than this month last year.
              Thank you.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

              Live Radio from 100.3

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                It’s calculated over 12 months. So July 2022 is compared to July 2021. August 2022 compared to August 2021.

                If you line the months up on a graph, the increase in inflation is plateauing, but when the new monthly report comes out, it’s going to be reported as prices being x% more than this month last year.
                Which also means at some point we'll catch up with the big jump last fall and the YoY increases will not be as significant.

                Cornell '04, Stanford '06


                KDR

                Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

                Test to see if I can add this.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  Coincidentally, no one but the White House talked about gas prices for 99 days.

                  https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1...feJOc9J0FM0r7A
                  It didn't even go up a penny but yet somehow the NY Times makes it breaking news. I think the NY Times is auditioning to be the NY Times Pitchbot ;^)
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

                  "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

                  Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                  Comment


                  • Capitalism:

                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                    Comment


                    • Gus paid very fair wages.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

                      1966, 1986, 2007

                      Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        Maura Healey has a bold plan to fix housing in MA https://www.boston.com/news/politics...iscoll-housing
                        In typical form, Boston.com's article is vapid and devoid of detail.

                        I'm going to vote for Healey because I think she'll be halfway decent and because her opponent is an evil MAGA fuckhead. But she needs a bit more meat than what's reported here.

                        Giving more authority to local governments (read: town committees and city councils) sounds great but does she think Wellesley would ever rezone areas to be more dense? I know people hate a more top-down approach, but the only way to battle locally-enforced NIMBYism on housing density is for non-local, higher authority to force their hand.

                        A Belmont town manager who re-zones areas to allow for higher density housing to be built is simply not going to last long in the job, and they'll be replaced by someone who absolutely won't allow it.
                        I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

                        Comment


                        • UK proposing a healthy tax cut (including a return of vat refunds for foreign tourist)
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Maura Healey has a bold plan to fix housing in MA https://www.boston.com/news/politics...iscoll-housing
                            She could remove the cap on using rent as a deduction on MA state taxes. That would help defer the costs involved.
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Swansong View Post

                              In typical form, Boston.com's article is vapid and devoid of detail.

                              I'm going to vote for Healey because I think she'll be halfway decent and because her opponent is an evil MAGA fuckhead. But she needs a bit more meat than what's reported here.

                              Giving more authority to local governments (read: town committees and city councils) sounds great but does she think Wellesley would ever rezone areas to be more dense? I know people hate a more top-down approach, but the only way to battle locally-enforced NIMBYism on housing density is for non-local, higher authority to force their hand.

                              A Belmont town manager who re-zones areas to allow for higher density housing to be built is simply not going to last long in the job, and they'll be replaced by someone who absolutely won't allow it.
                              Solving the housing crisis will solve a lot of other problems. Coincidentally, this would be the one argument that dunces like Drew and Whalers could actually attack liberals for, as NIMBY liberals are just as guilty and culpable for soaring housing prices as the GOP. And no, of course they have no leg to stand on, nor does the GOP. I’m just saying…

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Swansong View Post

                                In typical form, Boston.com's article is vapid and devoid of detail.

                                I'm going to vote for Healey because I think she'll be halfway decent and because her opponent is an evil MAGA fuckhead. But she needs a bit more meat than what's reported here.

                                Giving more authority to local governments (read: town committees and city councils) sounds great but does she think Wellesley would ever rezone areas to be more dense? I know people hate a more top-down approach, but the only way to battle locally-enforced NIMBYism on housing density is for non-local, higher authority to force their hand.

                                A Belmont town manager who re-zones areas to allow for higher density housing to be built is simply not going to last long in the job, and they'll be replaced by someone who absolutely won't allow it.
                                I think it’s truly a both sides issue. Everyone wants less traffic and congestion then *****es about how expensive housing is.

                                Agree with you on Healey overall but it’s disappointing she couldn’t do better on housing. I know someone who has worked with her and they say she’s legit.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X