This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I am 100% for open minded people. Too much of the politics I watch every day is closed minded buffoonery.
    Hey. Democracy is the theory that the average person should be presented!
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
      NIMBYism is not "owned" by any particular ideology, so finger pointing on that angle is silly.

But the fact is, we have a crisis-level housing shortage in the US and there are many causes for it:
      • General lack of supply where people actually want to live
      • Investment properties solely dedicated to short-term rentals ("summer rentals" have always been a thing, but Air BnB obviously substantially increased that).
      • NIMBYism
      • ... like dozens more
      • Construction material supply chain issues?

This is an incredibly complicated problem and we get nowhere by standing around and pointing fingers.
      You missed ...
      • Skilled construction workforce, or workforce in general
      • Electronic/electrical supply chain issues (my company can't get controllers for the machines we build for the construction industry)

I have not been to a factory containing a machine I build/work on that does not have "Help Wanted" out front.
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

And a point of clarification. "Open Minded" doesn't mean chuds like Joe Rogan. A little ability to filter out insanity is required.

edit: Basically. If you hear Jordan Peterson and don't immediately roll your eyes, then I don't want to hear from you.
        Open minded doesn't need to mean that alternative facts is really a thing. Facts are facts.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

NIMBYism is not "owned" by any particular ideology, so finger pointing on that angle is silly.

But the fact is, we have a crisis-level housing shortage in the US and there are many causes for it:
          • General lack of supply where people actually want to live
          • Investment properties solely dedicated to short-term rentals ("summer rentals" have always been a thing, but Air BnB obviously substantially increased that).
          • NIMBYism
          • ... like dozens more
          • Construction material supply chain issues?

This is an incredibly complicated problem and we get nowhere by standing around and pointing fingers.
          Yeah, this one topic liberals have to look themselves in the mirror on, at least in certain areas of the country.

VT and CA are two of the bluest states and also two of the most restrictive when it comes to home development. State level gov seems to be finally starting to fight local gov on it in CA.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I am 100% for open minded people. Too much of the politics I watch every day is closed minded buffoonery.
            But not so open minded that your brains fall out.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

People can't afford to pay the prices.
              They can look at the map. It just makes no sense.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                Most of that “available” housing is either owned by huge corporations renting out at exorbitant prices or off the market because the owners are only “renting” it out on Airbnb.

Banning Airbnb would be a good start.
                Not in my area but the closer you get to the city that becomes more true.

And yeah **** airbnb.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

And yeah **** airbnb.
                  Airbnb and Uber sounded like good old fashioned great deregulated competition strategies for a healthy capitalist economy. The ramifications of that have been devestating.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Airbnb and Uber sounded like good old fashioned great deregulated competition strategies for a healthy capitalist economy. The ramifications of that have been devestating.
                    Both industries needed to be smashed, but this... may not be better.
                    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Both industries needed to be smashed, but this... may not be better.
                      Both industries did not need to be smashed, they just need better oversight by people who don’t have heavy investments in those sectors.

Both Uber and Airbnb are two of the worst things in our economy.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• The taxi industry absolutely needed to be dismantled. Perhaps not the hospitality industry (at least, it needed substantial reform), but I'll go to the mat and say that the way this country manages taxi services is outrageous and needed to end.
                        I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Aren't NYC hack medallions like NYG season tickets --> good luck.
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            Aren't NYC hack medallions like NYG season tickets --> good luck.
                            There was a "ten year waiting list" which was circumvented by greasing the right palm.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

And yeah **** airbnb.
                              Pretty much every rentable property in my town and surrounding area are short term rentals. Local paper has five listings available for long term rental, several of those just being a single room. For $1000/month.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Not to mention, but after the 2008 collapse, much of the foreclosed or otherwise available housing was bought up by venture capitol firms solely for the purpose of vacation and short term rentals.

The rich will always get richer.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X