Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    I almost didn't click this, but it's a surprisingly good article from the NY POst
    https://nypost.com/2022/08/21/auto-g...asic-features/

Sounds like it's been getting worse and worse right under our noses. I didn't know that some companies are charging for FOB remote start. That's insane. But it would also be pretty easy to have an aftermarket system installed. So I really don't understand why automakers are going this route. The value has to be there. If it costs $500 for a remote start system to be installed, you're talking 100 months at $5/month to make it worth it.

That said, states are already considering bans on subscription services for cars. I think when this starts to get out of hand, California will probably step in to save the Union. again. Either way, it's a disturbing trend and as it gets more attention, it attracts eyeballs from regulators.

Edit: Sounds like NJ was already floating bills to ban the practice.

Edit 2: What happens if this goes unchecked is the desire to "jailbreak" cars and potentially do some not-so-good things for everyone on the road. The government must step in but I'm guessing it will just be a ban on jailbreaking instead of doing the right thing.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 11-23-2022, 04:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post
    Didn't BMW try this?
    Yep.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    Didn't BMW try this?

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

That's going to backfire. No way this kind of thing sticks for the average joe. If it's the S Class, no one will notice and I don't think regulators will get involved. If Toyota starts putting this kind of **** in Corolas, then I could see Uncle Sam getting involved.

Also, what's that about airlines?
    You used to buy a plane ticket.
    now you’re charged for reserved seat. Charged for baggage. Charged for food. I’m exaggerating a bit here but I hate the service model of “buy this’ but everything else costs more to use it

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    So Mercedes is going to take thing it’s cars are capable of, like faster acceleration, and lock it behind a $1200 yearly subscription.

airlines charging to breathe and now this ****. I hate it
    That's going to backfire. No way this kind of thing sticks for the average joe. If it's the S Class, no one will notice and I don't think regulators will get involved. If Toyota starts putting this kind of **** in Corolas, then I could see Uncle Sam getting involved.

Also, what's that about airlines?

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    So Mercedes is going to take thing it’s cars are capable of, like faster acceleration, and lock it behind a $1200 yearly subscription.

airlines charging to breathe and now this ****. I hate it

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Everyone.

Seriously, these are planes being marketed as having autopilot when they don't even have an instrument set required for IFR. They don't have FLIR because of Elon. They are completely blind in some situations.
    Now, now, just because stationary objects, like rescue equipment with their lights flashing, blocking a traffic lane, are blind to Tesla Autopilot....

GM's SuperCruise is going to absolutely leapfrog Autopilot awfully soon (if it hasn't yet).

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Everyone.

Seriously, these are planes being marketed as having autopilot when they don't even have an instrument set required for IFR. They don't have FLIR because of Elon. They are completely blind in some situations.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Bad for who? The government isn't going to step in. They'll "look partisan."

God, can you just imagine if the Big Three, as they operated from the 60s to 80s, could have gotten away with what Tesla has?

Ford Pintos, Chevy C/Ks, and Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare for everyone!!! Never a recall!

With Takata airbags.

And Firestone tires.

Standard.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    I read an article, wish I had the link, that said Tesla had the highest % of recalls with something like "Could result in serious injury or fatality". WHich is really bad.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    Yeah you can't really equate Tesla and the major manufacturers. First of all proportionally it just doesn't work but also it is much easier to find a Toyota/GM/Ford dealership or certified shop to do most of the recalls unlike Tesla. And it isn't like this is the first recall lately, hell it isn't even the first since he took over Twitter. (and took his engineers with him)

Musk being a dbag is its own problem but Tesla's problems go back farther than his coming out of the closet as a fascist fellator. Plenty of horror stories out there about how defect ridden and dangerous Tesla's (and their drivers) are as dx alluded too. For a lot of buyers it is a cost benefit analysis of if the possible cons outweigh the positives and often that is solved by how much is in their bank account.

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Should've done it by text. :-)
    "Would you like to buy a vowel?"

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post
    This is no defense of Tesla or of Musk and no car company - least of all one owned by that scumbag - gets any benefit of the doubt.

But car companies have safety recalls all the time. This doesn't even seem like a particularly bad one. I have a 2010 Toyota Matrix and look up the list of recalls on it. And Toyota is a pretty good company.
    Agreed and understood. I would counter that 300,000 vehicles is something like 10% of all cars they've ever sold. And it's not like this is the first major recall for them. According to NHTSA, they've issued recalls on 3.2 million vehicles as of May of 2022. That's approaching 100% of their total production.

I know you're not defending them, but these cars are absolute jalopies relative to the rest of the field. The only thing they have over Alfa Romeo is that Tesla actually look half decent from the outside (until you see the panel gaps).

There's a barron's article I could only read part of but it paints a pretty worrying picture of Tesla's quality.

And there's this:
    https://www.kbb.com/car-news/jd-powe...cars-slipping/

Which puts tesla near the bottom. They're a trainwreck and it's only going to get worse as their Dear Leader spirals out of control.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    The board fired him by phone and said their lawyers would be in touch. Savage.
    Should've done it by text. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

How many Toyotaites are out there trying to downplay the recall or attacking anyone who ever complained about safety? Do they worship at an altar of the Corolla? Has the head of Toyota tried to laugh it off or do they take safety concerns seriously?
    Musk/Tesla ballwashers are immaterial to Swansong's overall point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X