Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

Just announced "paid furloughs" today... Some people have already been notified. Lots of them...

Paid furlough is an interesting concept. But kind of illustrates the crazy time we're living in.

Essentially we're getting a payroll tax credit. I find it illuminating they added a sentence explicitly stating that employers of all sizes are eligible.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I’m dumb...what is the point of paid furlough?

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
        I’m dumb...what is the point of paid furlough?
        It's basically a paid leave of absence that the employee didn't request. It gets the employees out of the work place but keeps them on the payroll. I'm not sure why they'd have to call it a furlough. Basically, it's just "don't show up to work, but you'll still get paid."

Also, if you are participating in the PPP, you need to keep the employee on the payroll, whether they are actually in the building or doing any work at all.
        Last edited by SJHovey; 04-24-2020, 12:30 PM.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          It's basically a paid leave of absence that the employee didn't request.
          Sure but what’s the financial incentive for the employer?

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
            Sure but what’s the financial incentive for the employer?
            I added to my post while you were responding.

There is no real financial incentive. As I said, if you are on the PPP, you have to keep paying them whether they are there or not.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              I added to my post while you were responding.

There is no real financial incentive. As I said, if you are on the PPP, you have to keep paying them whether they are there or not.
              I should know this, but it has been too long since I really practiced employment law: does time on paid furlough count towards seniority?
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                I should know this, but it has been too long since I really practiced employment law: does time on paid furlough count towards seniority?
                I would assume so. I think "paid furlough" is just a made up name. They might as well call it a paid leave of absence. It's just basically the employer saying they'll pay you but you don't have to show up. In the public sector they always call it "paid administrative leave," usually granted after a cop shoots someone.

Comment

I imagine there are a number of reasons why companies might do this. It probably has something to do with status as an "employee" since if you are just laid off without pay, I don't know that you're even an employee anymore. That maybe screws up things like benefits and your eligibility for them.

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

That's winning, right?
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        That's winning, right?
                        He told you you'd get sick of winning.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          That's winning, right?
                          “Hey, it was supposed to drop 60%. We did pretty good, don’t you think? I heard it could be 60 or 70%. I don’t know, don’t know”
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Sounds like it's "Nothing changes, just don't show up or turn on your computer/phone. US government is giving us a tax break if we make you sit at home."

I think that's.... kind of crazy. The loss in productivity is probably orders of magnitude higher than the benefits.
                            Code:
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              holy god
                              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                Good lord.

Comment

Working...
                                X