Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like workers were majorly concerned about basically having a two-tiered contract, where current employees get things like pension contributions and a higher wage but any new hires get nothing pension wise and a lower wage.

Sounds like there was already a split into tiers, a pre-97 and a post-97, and Deere was proposing a further split.
    https://theintercept.com/2021/10/17/...-labor-market/

Honestly, expect this to keep happening. You don’t tell workers that they’re “essential” on one hand and continue to lowball them on the other.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      Sounds like workers were majorly concerned about basically having a two-tiered contract, where current employees get things like pension contributions and a higher wage but any new hires get nothing pension wise and a lower wage.

Sounds like there was already a split into tiers, a pre-97 and a post-97, and Deere was proposing a further split.
      https://theintercept.com/2021/10/17/...-labor-market/

Honestly, expect this to keep happening. You don’t tell workers that they’re “essential” on one hand and continue to lowball them on the other.
      So basically, what the auto companies did to them 15-20 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

So basically, what the auto companies did to them 15-20 years ago.
        Pretty much. Problem this time is the workforce is trending largely toward Millennial age workers and “**** them, you got yours right?” doesn’t work like it use to because a) Millennials generally abhor that attitude and b) because Millennials haven’t really ever gotten “there’s”.

Given this, it doesn’t surprise me that the contract offer was rejected. C-Suite executives have long been out of touch not realizing Millennials are now in their 30s and the brass at the UAW undoubtedly suffer the same mindset. Couple that with a prime opportunity for workers to have leverage and here we are.

tl;dr Leadership on both sides are idiots and it’s not just about money, and the press can’t comprehend things not just being about money.
        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

tl;dr Leadership on both sides are idiots and it’s not just about money, and the press can’t comprehend things not just being about money.
          This about sums it up.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• The only question I have is this: Is John Deere really gonna be able to find scabs? These factories don't seem to be in hugely populated locations and it's likely the amount of money they'd have to offer in wages would be counterproductive (in the sense that the wages would have to be so high to compensate for the lack of security, lack of benefits, and crossing a picket line on top of the current labor market)
            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

The only question I have is this: Is John Deere really gonna be able to find scabs? These factories don't seem to be in hugely populated locations and it's likely the amount of money they'd have to offer in wages would be counterproductive (in the sense that the wages would have to be so high to compensate for the lack of security, lack of benefits, and crossing a picket line on top of the current labor market)
              Was thinking the same thing. I don't know what Deere is going to do. That said...... they're nearing the end of the crazy season where they have guarantees about returning machines to service. Not sure how that plays into this.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• On a totally different note: Sinclair Broadcasting has over $12 billion in debt.

Turns out buying a huge network of Regional Sports Networks whose rights you can't easily transition into a streaming service is a bad idea. Also doesn't help when a Russian hacker group almost completely shuts down the ability to advertise on most if your stations.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer company.
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

The only question I have is this: Is John Deere really gonna be able to find scabs? These factories don't seem to be in hugely populated locations and it's likely the amount of money they'd have to offer in wages would be counterproductive (in the sense that the wages would have to be so high to compensate for the lack of security, lack of benefits, and crossing a picket line on top of the current labor market)
                  I dunno but the longer it goes the more likelier it is. We shall see...
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Considering Starbucks coffee is crap...the only impact is if you can actually choke it down.
                    Their lemon poppyseed loaf is to die for. mookie goes in to get a couple of those to last a day or two with the coffee at home he awakes to (except no poppy seeds here in the loaf)
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Also the training costs for hiring just anyone right of the street to replace people who've been doing that job for years.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Ottawa County, a place where anti-immigration derp runs rampant:

Turns out immigrants hold $300M in spending power and pay $111M in taxes.

https://www.hollandsentinel.com/stor...LAND-NLETTER65
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Big news day so far this morning.

GE to break itself into three separate companies: gE Aviation, Healthcare, and GE Energy (and technology). Plan is to spin off Healthcare first by 2023.

And Comcast is having nation wide outages, most severely affecting the Chicagoland region this morning.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• I don't understand why a company would break itself up like that. I'm happy to see smaller companies, but don't understand why a board would vote for that.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Maybe the bureaucracy was too bloated and this was much more efficient.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                I don't understand why a company would break itself up like that. I'm happy to see smaller companies, but don't understand why a board would vote for that.
                                HP did it because the computer & printer division was a long-term burden. Everyone is buying mobile devices and moving into cloud computing architectures, the latter of which is now HPE's focus (along with re-selling hardware & software that supports cloud). HPE then further spun-off most of its consulting services to CSC, which rebranded as DXC Technology.

Comment

Working...
                                X