X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Bitcoin mining?
    Ethereum mining is much more stable ;^)
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Bitcoin mining?
      Too volatile…
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

For the most part, Millenials have been bent over the table and fucked repeatedly by the Boomers and Gen X. The two largest recessions in 80 years, pensions gutted, college tuition increases at 2x the rate of 1985-2001, multigeneration highs in wealth disparity, stagnant wages, and the final whopper of climate change.

Anyone older than 40-45 comparing their 401(k)s to someone 25-40 is like comparing apples to quasars.

Edit: Handy, I'll grandfather you in :-D
        Gen X (my generation) was completely dominated and destroyed by the Boomers. Gen X has had zero impact on anything.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
          I was affected by *two* economic downturns ...
          And I wasn't?

I will admit I've been fortunate, and I got some great advice from an uncle: Work an hour a day for yourself. I've never seen a "full paycheck" in 30 years working. I've always put 1/8 away in 401k, even when it was tempting not to. (But watching my 401k halve in a recession sucked.)

And in today's world, I'm not sure college is a good plan. Think: debt. Skilled trades are making a lot of money for two years of schooling (that most are getting covered by employers lining up to hire them): welders, electrician, plumbers, diesel mechanics, automation techs. Heck, I know of a small power distribution company where the top eight earners are the five exec staff, a senior manager, and two linemen. <-- Linemen, ahem, lineworkers, have terrible jobs and deserve every penny they make.

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Gen X (my generation) was completely dominated and destroyed by the Boomers. Gen X has had zero impact on anything.
            We're (Gen X) getting to try to bridge the gap from the wave of retiring Boomers to the upcoming Gen Ys that need to take over. Those two groups have completely different styles and norms. Gen X has to try to spackle the gap to let Gen Y take over and run things. It's a common theme in many industries.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

And I wasn't?

I will admit I've been fortunate, and I got some great advice from an uncle: Work an hour a day for yourself. I've never seen a "full paycheck" in 30 years working. I've always put 1/8 away in 401k, even when it was tempting not to. (But watching my 401k halve in a recession sucked.)

And in today's world, I'm not sure college is a good plan. Think: debt. Skilled trades are making a lot of money for two years of schooling (that most are getting covered by employers lining up to hire them): welders, electrician, plumbers, diesel mechanics, automation techs. Heck, I know of a small power distribution company where the top eight earners are the five exec staff, a senior manager, and two linemen. <-- Linemen, ahem, lineworkers, have terrible jobs and deserve every penny they make.
              That you've never seen a full paycheck is not making the point you think it's making. Quite the opposite.

the people that are seeing full paychecks are the ones who don't have healthcare from work and don't have 401(k)s because they can't afford to. They need that to go to rent, food, and transportation. 401(k)s are a luxury. In fact, they were created for executives because they had so much extra wealth that wasn't getting any tax advantages. it wasn't until later that the actuaries realized they could fuck the workers and save the companies money by gutting defined benefit pensions.

your 401(k) has recovered just fine. And that's the point. That you've had a job and a nest egg that would carry through the recessions. Millennials struggled to even get hired out of college because of the GR. They've never had a chance to contribute to their 401(k)s because of crippling student debt.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

We're (Gen X) getting to try to bridge the gap from the wave of retiring Boomers to the upcoming Gen Ys that need to take over. Those two groups have completely different styles and norms. Gen X has to try to spackle the gap to let Gen Y take over and run things. It's a common theme in many industries.
                Oh stop. Every generation does that. Literally. Every. One.

Boomers did it for the golden Gen, X did it for millennials, and millennials will do it to Z.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

No. Boomers kept taking everything telling Gen X that there would be plenty left when it was their turn. Gen X is now starting to come into power and everything is literally destroyed. Now, we have to try and fix it with literally nothing left to work with.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• I started my 401k at 25 when I was working a $35k/yr job, but I have no issues acknowledging that I was basically born on 2nd base and have never truly experienced economic insecurity. Frankly, I am one of the luckiest members of my generation.

Comment

• "Before it's earned, our money's all been spent."- Sonny and Cher

Same, Sonny and Cher, same.

Got my BS in Psychology in 2006, was told I "didn't have enough experience." Bounced around in retail while trying to find experience. When I got "experience," it wasn't full time. Been wiped out a couple times already with car accidents and housing instability. Next financial aid for my MSW overage will be spent paying off whatever I can.

And also, advocacy as a career doesn't pay the big bucks.
                      Last edited by MissThundercat; 06-03-2021, 10:00 AM.
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Generations. Are. Marketing. Labels.

They mean nothing. They are "yay my team!" which is simply "yay ME!!!"
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                          And also, advocacy as a career doesn't pay the big bucks.
                          Your reward is in heaven.

(Realizes there is no heaven.)

Well. Beats workin'.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            I started my 401k at 25 when I was working a $35k/yr job, but I have no issues acknowledging that I was basically born on 2nd base and have never truly experienced economic insecurity. Frankly, I am one of the luckiest members of my generation.
                            I’m also extremely lucky that I was able to buy a house for a reasonable price in a nice area at a 4% interest rate. That’s long gone

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              I started my 401k at 25 when I was working a $35k/yr job, but I have no issues acknowledging that I was basically born on 2nd base and have never truly experienced economic insecurity. Frankly, I am one of the luckiest members of my generation.
                              Same here. I won the birth lottery by being born into a family that if I hadn't graduated with honors from a Tier One simply would not have acknowledged my further existence.

Now, once you did that you could do whatever. My brother has been a "Fuckin' A" day laborer Deadhead for the last 40 years and he barely owns the clothes on his back. But he has a degree from MIT so he's fine. Genteel poverty is blessed. Whereas, if any of us had dropped out of college and founded a trillion dollar hedge fund they would not be invited to Thanksgiving.

Values. You don't earn them, they come to you in the placenta -- it's pure luck.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                I’m also extremely lucky that I was able to buy a house for a reasonable price in a nice area at a 4% interest rate. That’s long gone
                                yeah, we got our house at the right time. that's for sure. those days are gone.

Comment

Working...
                                X